D&D 5E Build Advice for Tempest Cleric

Satyrn

First Post
Having played a cleric like what you're aiming for, with the standard array, and seeing a tempest cleric in my current group (also with the standard array) I can confidently say that no matter what you choose for all your options, you will shine.

Vitor Bastos

Explorer
Having played a cleric like what you're aiming for, with the standard array, and seeing a tempest cleric in my current group (also with the standard array) I can confidently say that no matter what you choose for all your options, you will shine.

Nice to read that! =D

Nice to read that! =D

We had a tempest cleric in our group... and she didn´t really use her spells and channel divinity well... sometimes she even used a crossbow with dex 12 or so...

on the other hand, her banishments were used to grat advantage as were some of her destroy water spells. That is why I told you about using your spells well. I think tempest cleric is a powerful set on its own without forcing any optimization on it. You have a lot of versality since you are a powerful tanky melee combatant and a very powerful spellcaster both as buffer and as nuker. Your healing is not that great in combat, but by just standing in the front line and casting the right spells, you should prevent a lot of damage. (Death is a good status effect, just pushing away with thunderwave can help tremendously, and don´t underestimate using shatter on structures.)

Vitor Bastos

Explorer
We had a tempest cleric in our group... and she didn´t really use her spells and channel divinity well... sometimes she even used a crossbow with dex 12 or so...

on the other hand, her banishments were used to grat advantage as were some of her destroy water spells. That is why I told you about using your spells well. I think tempest cleric is a powerful set on its own without forcing any optimization on it. You have a lot of versality since you are a powerful tanky melee combatant and a very powerful spellcaster both as buffer and as nuker. Your healing is not that great in combat, but by just standing in the front line and casting the right spells, you should prevent a lot of damage. (Death is a good status effect, just pushing away with thunderwave can help tremendously, and don´t underestimate using shatter on structures.)

Awesome! I like Tempest Cleric "kit", seems really strong and versatile indeed!

Just out of curiosity.. How would you compare Tempest Clerics to Bards and Wizards, in terms of Fun, Versatility, Game Impact and Difficulty to Play?

Last edited:

Difficult to say. I have college of sword bard 3/rogue 3 multiclass with ritual caster that is quite fun to play. He is far from optimized with highest rolled stats 14 in dex and charisma... he has a terrible AC of 13 right now and quite low hp due to 12 constitution... and he is still quite useful I would say. He can inspire his fellow adventurers and deal quite a lot of damage with a rapier, sneak attack and booming blade. He has a lot of out of combat skills and jack of all trades and expertises in a way help out his bad stats.
We had some more bards and they all did comparatively well mostly due to the fact that the players knew what to do. The same could be said about our wizards and even warlocks. Neither of them followed build advises from this forum and instead opted for a versatile build that had tools for many situations and paid for that with slightly lower damage output. But that was insignificant when you consider how many combats were evaded or started in a very favourable situation.

quandaratic

Villager
I would 2nd the Magic Initiate (Wizard) feat, for Booming Blade. Then, when you can cast 5th level spells, add Holy Weapon, for another 2d8 radiant damage. Between Divine Strike, Booming Blade, and Holy Weapon, a Lvl 14 cleric is dealing an extra 6d8 / 9d8 damage, on top of weapon damage and STR mod. They can do it with every attack, for an hour, each time Holy Weapon is cast, and the weapon damage is magical.
Even as low as Lvl 5, even if Booming Blade doesn't get the extra damage, it still freezes the enemy in place, and makes a warhammer attack 2d8 + mod, which is nearly as good as a martial class hitting twice.

jgsugden

Legend
My first
I would 2nd the Magic Initiate (Wizard) feat, for Booming Blade. Then, when you can cast 5th level spells, add Holy Weapon, for another 2d8 radiant damage. Between Divine Strike, Booming Blade, and Holy Weapon, a Lvl 14 cleric is dealing an extra 6d8 / 9d8 damage, on top of weapon damage and STR mod. They can do it with every attack, for an hour, each time Holy Weapon is cast, and the weapon damage is magical.
Even as low as Lvl 5, even if Booming Blade doesn't get the extra damage, it still freezes the enemy in place, and makes a warhammer attack 2d8 + mod, which is nearly as good as a martial class hitting twice.
A little late... I'm betting this PC has already reached level 10 and ended.

Remove ads