• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Build for a Warrior-type Cleric (Core only)

nittanytbone

First Post
Doug McCrae said:
With so many strength and size boosts - Bull's Strength, Divine Power, Righteous Might, Enlarge Person (Strength domain) - you could go for a trip build. Improved Trip is one of the best combat feats in core. Take the feats Combat Expertise (requires 13 int), Improved Trip and EWP: Spiked Chain.

I agree but the problem IMHO is that INT is one of the few dump stats for a cleric. Also, trip builds tend to be feat intensive, and clerics don't have many feats. At a minimum you're looking at Combat Expertise and Improved Trip. You also need EWP Spiked Chain and Combat Reflexes to really top off the package, and to get good mileage out of Combat Reflexes you need 14+ DEX.

My favorite tripping cleric looks something like:
Rogue 1 (for trapfinding and SP, and a bonus feat with the UA variant) --> Cloistered Cleric 2 (for saves & SP as well as spells, obviously) --> Human Paragon 3 (for a feat, reducing MAD, skills, and the weapon proficiency) --> Church Inquisitor (for the SP -- search is in class!). Top off with Divine Oracle, more Cloistered Cleric, or any other full casting PrC. Such a class can get great synergy out of a high INT and only loses one or two caster levels. If you can get trapfinding some other way (perhaps the kobold domain or a PrC) then the Rogue level can be dispensed with.

Its a double -- perhaps triple threat -- covering the skill monkey base very well and potentially covering the divine caster and/or melee bases.

But for a straight martial front-line tank type? I don't think bumping INT up to 13 or 14 is worth the payoff, myself. Especially given that clerics lack a good weapon to trip with and often don't max out DEX.

Nifft

Penguin Herder
nittanytbone said:
My favorite tripping cleric looks something like:
Rogue 1 (for trapfinding and SP, and a bonus feat with the UA variant) --> Cloistered Cleric 2 (for saves & SP as well as spells, obviously) --> Human Paragon 3 (for a feat, reducing MAD, skills, and the weapon proficiency) --> Church Inquisitor (for the SP -- search is in class!). Top off with Divine Oracle, more Cloistered Cleric, or any other full casting PrC.
I'm surprised to see no love for Shadowbane Stalker in there. 6 skill points, lots of casting, decent skill list -- perfect for the Rogue / Cloistered Cleric.

Cheers, -- N

nittanytbone

First Post
Nifft said:
I'm surprised to see no love for Shadowbane Stalker in there. 6 skill points, lots of casting, decent skill list -- perfect for the Rogue / Cloistered Cleric.

Cheers, -- N

I'm always loathe to lose another caster level for my clerics as you may have noticed in this thread! Plus, Shadowbane Stalker's abilities are kind of weak, IMHO. Sacred Stealth is inferior to certain spells in the Spell Compendium (Divine Insight for one). The extra damage on sneak attack is irrelevant to my above build which is not a TWF type nor sneak-attack dependent for damage output. And the sacred defense is also probably not worth dropping a spell slot on when I could use that slot for a buff!

But still, the base 6 SP + decent HD aren't bad.

Still, neither is here nor there for the OP... Bottom line, a solid tank cleric even with 32 point buy doesn't have the ability scores to swing a solid trip build.

Legildur

First Post
nittanytbone said:
But for a straight martial front-line tank type? I don't think bumping INT up to 13 or 14 is worth the payoff, myself. Especially given that clerics lack a good weapon to trip with and often don't max out DEX.
I agree with in general. But for style, a tripping or disarming cleric can make a useful addition to a party.

I was going to make some comment about a flail gaining a bonus to disarm and also able to trip, but I see that it is a martial, and not simple, weapon, so clerics don't typically have access to that.

Kat'

First Post
The weakness of a Trip build is the Int 13 requirement. Clerics tend to dump Int as they so badly need other stats.

If going CoDzilla with Core, I'd say pick up PA and Cleave at the beginning, Extend Spell at 3rd, Scribe Scroll, Quicken Spell and Improved Initiative somewhere else. In an undead-heavy campaign, do not neglect Turn Undead, it's darn useful against hordes of low HD mooks with damage reduction... So I'd stick to whoeverdiditbeforeme's proposition: Str 14 Dex 12 Con 14 Int 10 Wis 15 Cha 14, or even rather Dex 10 Int 12 (Dex-buffing items come soon enough). Don't worry being late on bonus spells, you'll have Wis buffs too.
At low levels, go weapon and shield, use a lot of turning, heal and ally buffs. Take on the small stuff with your Cleave and let the Fighter do the BBEGs, he'll be doing better than you anyway.
As soon as you hit level 7, things will be different. Divine Grace and Divine Power will make you equals with the fighter, even though you won't have the feats and the versatility. From this point on swap your shield for a buckler and use your sword or mace two-handed, and Power Attack everything in sight.
Getting access to things like Righteous Might makes you even more deadly. Remember that Spears are two-handed (Power Attack!) simple weapons with Reach and thus a Large CoDzilla's best friend. Oh, and now that you can cast Righteous Might, meaning you have access to 5th-level spells, you can also Quicken Divine Grace.
For late levels, your Power Words from War domain will be very useful, as well as the huge array of offensive spells in your arsenal, such as Destruction, or incredible utilities like Planar Ally and mass buffs.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads