Build the Ultimate Sword of Swashbucklingness!

Rhun

First Post
Back in the days of 1E/2E I had a swashbuckler type character with a dancing, defending cutlass...that was a pretty neat swashbuckling sword.

Darklone

Hmm. I had such a sword once but I don't find the old posts on the other forum. Some guy there even wrote a song about the thingy.

The sword was kinda cursed... the name was Sevenheads. Cause 7 pirate captains owned it and it happened to cause it's wielder to lose his head... sooner or later.

The sword started nice and weak with a +1 to hit, +2 to damage and a +1 deflection bonus to AC if the wielder used Combat Expertise or fighting defensively (slowly increasing every 3 levels till it reached wielders Int bonus) till the thingy was a +3 sword/rapier (1d8 18-20/*2).
I don't remember exactly what the sword could or did but I gave it some extra abilities like
  • a bonus to saves (maximum: Cha bonus of the wielder to Refl, half of that to Will
    and Fort)
  • SR (10+Wis bonus),
  • Deflect Arrows feat,
  • Quickdraw,
  • Improved Critical,
  • DR 2/- and other nifty things.
Most of these things cost XPs or points (see below).
The blade was even able to defend its wielder by turning itself into a dancing weapon plus a Blade barrier around the stunned/unconscious wielder... If the level was high enough and the wielder paid the XPs.

The biggest flaw AND edge: The sword didn't like other magic weapons or even some items (Melee! It didn't bother about a parry dagger or a ranged weapon). Though it was officially a +1 weapon, the campaign purpose of the sword was to destroy the BBEGs bodyguards crystal greatsword +5. If Sevenshead fought against/touched a magical with bigger bonus weapon, both weapons lose 1d4 magical enhancement things per round (enhancements and special abilities return by 1 per minute after the fight).

The sword was able to talk... though noone really knew about it. It had a pretty strict Code of Honour... Selfish good. Cheat a friend and the sword will get you killed. That was one of the reasons why all those pirate captains get headless. I had a list of 12 things it liked and 24 it didn't like... and a point system how much it likes you (and which abilities it allows the wielder to use!).

All in all the sword was horribly powerful. More an NPC than an item. Yet, in the hands of the right wielder... it rocks the world.

Last edited:

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Valerius, Erol Otus' swashbuckler in the original Rogues Gallery, had a Sword of Skewering that ignored magical armor bonuses. That's not super-impressive, but it might be a nice add-on to an uber-rapier.

Remove ads