D&D 5E Swords bard 18 dex / 12 con vs 16 / 14 con

Greenfeuer

Explorer
What is more important, getting 18 in dex or 14 in con, as a swords bard?

Got the choice of starting with 18 dex and 12 con, or 16 dex and 14 con.

I plan to skirmish alot with throwing weapons/duel wield and such + support and spells.

Things like kinetic-jaunt and such too, for darting in and out of combat. - I am going to multiclass rogue aswell. 🙂

The bard character has a very "Darkest dungeon" Jester feel to it, and kinda going for that "vibe" for how he fights/supports. 🃏

Most in the party is rather tanky, Bloodhunter, Cleric, BaB/ranger, Fighter/Paladin, Bladesong wizard (very tanky dwarf version) and then me, the Bard/Rogue.

By skirmish I mean, dart from front to backline, duel wield, throw daggers and stab, and stay on the move. Aswell using tons of control/dps spells, and support alot aswell, I support alot, but I do dps well too!

I fill in the bard/rogue archtype, skill monkey support/dps. - I dart in and out of harmsway and deliver harm and mayhem, then get out of dodge really. - I have tons of uility/face abitlies too, so very versitaile in my playstyle.

My fear is being nuked by save rolls, that ignore AC, and go down/die out right. Yet, Dex gives so much to my concept, yet I fear if 12 con is enough or not. I fear if 16 dex is enough too, since I am going with light armor + if I have enough AC with only 16 dex.

Medium armor is not what I am gunning for, style wise, unless it comes up in a very benefital way/I get a magic item. But I see my character more as the acrobatic jester wild card, that darts around and rely on speed and aswell trickery and spells, aswell sword/knife play to deal out death 🎯

Hope this makes good sense 🎃

aco175

Legend
If you want a more skirmisher role then you might get by with less HP and need the extra +1 DEX modifier. The extra +1 to AC also helps if you get attacks of opportunity from moving away from bad guys. You could take the feat to get away from this as well. You could also take the shield spell to avoid a big attack if needed to save HP. When you dip with rogue levels for backstab, the extra DEX will help as well.

Dex trumps Con for your build. Finesse weapons mean it's a boost to attacks, damage and probably AC. Ac means fewer hits which is virtually more HP.

At 20th level, that is +20p. If the +1AC blocks two attack per short rest , it almost certainly would be worth more than 20hp. At lower levels one hit is more likely to do more damage than you would have got from the hp bump.

Use Heroism or Aid for more HP. Maybe that Inspiring Leader feat that gives level+Cha temp hit points from a speech. Our paladin has it and it is worth at least half dozen healing potions or cure spells per day.

aco175

Legend
The only upside CON argument is for using concentration spells. But, if you are using that many concentration spells, you are likely not in combat being attacked.

Greenfeuer

Explorer
The only upside CON argument is for using concentration spells. But, if you are using that many concentration spells, you are likely not in combat being attacked.
My biggest fear is damge/spells that ignore my AC, and that my HP wont be sufficient, however! I love the high dex too.

My weapons are daggers/reskinned sickle, schimatar, and magic. - Switch alot around, depending on foe and goal, sometimes control is key, at other times its all about damge and bravado.

I usually try to stay in dagger throwing range, so I can dart in too if needed, but skirmish is the name of the game in my case 😊

aco175

Legend
My biggest fear is damge/spells that ignore my AC, and that my HP wont be sufficient, however! I love the high dex too.
Then you need 7 levels of rogue to save for no damage on DEX saves. Then you would also have +4d6 backstab. Not sure how many bard levels this leaves though.

Greenfeuer

Explorer
Then you need 7 levels of rogue to save for no damage on DEX saves. Then you would also have +4d6 backstab. Not sure how many bard levels this leaves though.
13 bard levels, 7 rogue levels in total.

Currently 4 lvl's bard, 1 lvl rogue. I will go 2 more bard levels (lvl 6), then rogue for a while probably thill lvl 7 🃏

Remove ads