• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Buying magic items???? and what can they buy???

Ferox4

First Post
Astlin said:

So what do your players do with items that they do not want or need?
What are they going to do with that pile of cash that they are going to have by level 20?

I had a GM with the same mentality. Got silly fast with all the minor magic items stacked up to the rafters.

Astlin

The PCs will trade and/or sell the items they have no use for. They don't keep everything they come across either.

It's not the DM's/GM's responsibility to police what items his characters choose to carry. If your keep or stronghold is full of minor magic items then whose fault is that? Did you GM insist that you take all these items?

Crothian

First Post
I have a Wizards guild that has sponsored magical shops. Everything they sell is backed by the Guild so you are getting exactly what you are told. They are up front on all the powers, command words, and will even help you come up with ideas to have the item help you out. All prices are 20% higher then the DMG costs and there is no negotiating that. They do do special orders, but that is 50% higher then DMG price.

Then there are the other, smaller shops. They stay in business by undercutting the Guild stores, but they cannot match selection of gaurentees of the Guild Store. Basically, they deal with mostly low level scrolls and potions. Occasionally they have something else. But the most impoortant thing is Buyer Beware.

Shard O'Glase

First Post
Crothian said:
I have a Wizards guild that has sponsored magical shops. Everything they sell is backed by the Guild so you are getting exactly what you are told. They are up front on all the powers, command words, and will even help you come up with ideas to have the item help you out. All prices are 20% higher then the DMG costs and there is no negotiating that. They do do special orders, but that is 50% higher then DMG price.

Then there are the other, smaller shops. They stay in business by undercutting the Guild stores, but they cannot match selection of gaurentees of the Guild Store. Basically, they deal with mostly low level scrolls and potions. Occasionally they have something else. But the most impoortant thing is Buyer Beware.

Wow it's scary how close my system metches this. the only difference is a base 15% instead of 20%.

Crothian

First Post
Shard O'Glase said:

Wow it's scary how close my system metches this. the only difference is a base 15% instead of 20%.

20% is easier to do off the top of my head, that's the main reason it was picked. :D

Dreaddisease

First Post
That is a great method Crothian

I have a lot of detached small- medium communities so magic items for my players is limited unless they want to spend time creating (which is great because they are quickly getting into the winter time and that is so much funner to roleplay). But these wizard guilds usually trade or buy minor magic items quicklyfor 10 - 20% less value (depending on what they are) and then teleport to the main cities sell them for market value or more (if they can get it). A town/city's wizard guild(s) has a 2d20 - 42 + town mod to have a medium magic item and a 4d20 - 84 + town mod to have a major item. Usually 1d20 - 15 + town mod for minor items. Negatives are considered zero.

That is just what I do, just for some fun and because I usually don't want to plan out what a town's guild has for every little community that the players most likely won't get to.

Having items created is really expensive. I give them a 35% increase on market value, but 50% would be easier in my head.

Crothian

First Post
Well, in doing magic shops you need to consider who is doing the buying. Are there lots of adventurers getting rich and buying stuff? Or is it mostly the rich nobles?

In my world most of the buying is done buy the noble families. They enjoy items that look impressive as well as do impressive things. They also enjoy items that offer protections. Weapons and armor are nice, but normally the noble family will have a few of these and pass them down from father to son. But the Noble families will buy some good stuff for personal bodygaurds and to give away as rewards or gifts.

This helps determine what types of items the Magic Shops will have in stock. Magical weapons and armors are rare. Magical jewlrey is more common, especially flashy pieces that also have expensive gems set in them (and this also drives up the price).

Potions are always on hand becasue more people can afford them and they are easy for any member of the Wizards guild to make. Scrolls are always on hand, but never on display. The Guild has laws governing the release of certain spells.

Astlin

First Post
Ferox4 said:
The PCs will trade and/or sell the items they have no use for. They don't keep everything they come across either.

It's not the DM's/GM's responsibility to police what items his characters choose to carry. If your keep or stronghold is full of minor magic items then whose fault is that? Did you GM insist that you take all these items?

This was a 2E campaign that had two players (my wife and I) and a DM .

No, the DM did not insist that I take these items. But what was I supposed to do? Just leave magic items where they fall? No, if it was magic I picked it up and took it with me.

At one point I had about 50 +1 blades. When I tried to sell them, I was told that there was no market for them... this was in Waterdeep! I finally managed to get rid of them by taking them to the city guards seneschal and while I was not able to sell them, he took them off my hands for a 'finders fee'.

I tried to buy a +3 long sword and the only person that I found that was interested in selling me one was a dark cloaked figure in a bar. After a brief conversation, I decided that the DM did not want it to happen so I left while I still had my gold.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

In our current game (3E and new DM), we generally have a verity of choices for magical equipment. Mage guilds, temples and even the Red Wizards all are good places to look for equipment.

Our favorite is 'Waukeen Mart'. Nothing at all like a supermarket, just a nickname we give to the temples of the god of trade. :D

Astlin

the Jester

Legend
Somebody posted this a couple of months ago; I have found it extremely helpful...

City Size: Highest Level Wiz/Sor; GP Limit
Thorp: 1; 25 gp
Implication:
Nothing with a value of over 25 gp will be found here. That pretty much rules out all magic items except possibly 0th-level scrolls.

Hamlet: 2; 100 gp
Implication: You may find potions of cure light wounds and a first-level scroll. Maybe. But that's it. Local hedge wizard can't even make a +1 dagger if he wants to. Heck, he can't even find a masterwork dagger to enchant. Economy might - might - be able to support one minor potion shop.

Village: 3; 150 gp
Implication: Just like a hamlet, there really isn't much to buy here. The local wizard could make a +1 dagger, but there are no MW daggers to be found (cost over 300 gp). Economy might have one minor potion shop and/or scrolls shop but no more. No MW stuff, only 1st-level potions and scrolls. Local hedge wizard can enchant a +1 weapon - but only if you import the MW weapon for him. He won't have the resources to buy one, though.

Small Town: 4; 800 gp
Implications: Town has the resources to support a couple of potion shops, including one that makes "high-powered potions." Might see a 1st-level-spell wand shop. Supports masterwork weapons, but not magic armor, shields, or even minor wondrous items (800 gp is too little). The local hedge wizard can't brew the high-level potions though; he's only level 4. So you're looking at 1st-level wands, 1st- and 2nd- level potions and scrolls, and MW items.

Large Town: 7; 3, 000 gp
Implications: Only in a large town do you even start to see much of a market for items other than potions or scrolls. You will see the occasional +1 weapon or armor and the most minor of wondrous items. Wands might have 2nd-level power. The local wizards may be able to enchant a +2 item for you, but certainly can't buy one from you. Scrolls of 4th level and below will likely be available - but from only one source. Minor potions and scrolls are likely to be plentiful - you might see three or four potion shops.

Small City: 10; 12,000 gp
Implications: You start to see 5th-level scrolls, pretty much any potion is easy to come by, and you may find +1 and +2 weapons/armor - possibly +3 armor, though that taxes the magical resources of the town. Minor wondrous items can be had here. Most wands are probably available, too. There is likely a magic trade, but due to the fact that a typical small city has only between 1 and 4 magicians over 4th level, the trade is probably small and tightly controlled.

Large City: 13; 40,000 gp
Implications: Here, folks have the magical power and money to look at +4 weapons/armor, but they're still rare. You can get your hands on scrolls of 6th and possibly 7th level. Only in large cities do you even start seeing staffs (staves?). Potions are commonplace, as are lower level scrolls - anything you can get in a large town will be easy to find here, though more powerful items will be rarer and limited to a more exclusive group of mages (again, probably less than half a dozen). Also, have you noticed that you really can't even begin to contemplate most RINGS until you're in a large city?!?

Metropolis: 18; 90,000 gp
Implications: Scrolls (any level) and potions can be had here fairly easily. Weapons and armor of all enchantments can be made, but you're unlikely to see a weapon with an effective bonus of more than +6. Only in a metropolis are wondrous items of great power even remotely close to "widely available." However, the magical power is still somewhat consolidated - anything that would be "small and tightly controlled" in a small city is easily found here - lots of 8th and 9th level mages (comparatively) but anything beyond that in power will again be controlled by a few mages - 6 to 8 on average. Considering that metropoli tend to be seats of power, you can bet that at least one of those mages is in an advisory role to the crown (or whatever), which diminishes your chance of finding such items even more.

Ferox4

First Post
Astlin said:

No, the DM did not insist that I take these items. But what was I supposed to do? Just leave magic items where they fall?

If it is of no use to the party then why bother taking it? Stash it, destroy it, or just leave it. If +1 weapons are so readily available then don't bother with them.

I find it hard to believe that there was no market for +1 blades in Waterdeep. It is a huge city full of guilds, merchants, nobles, adventurers and traders. There must be someone interested in them - to whatever ends. As a DM I may rule that they are easier to come across and therefore going for substantially below market value, but certainly not undesirable to the point of uselessness. Just my 2 cents, Astlin.

Cheers, F4

Astlin

First Post
Ferox4 said:

If it is of no use to the party then why bother taking it? Stash it, destroy it, or just leave it. If +1 weapons are so readily available then don't bother with them.

I find it hard to believe that there was no market for +1 blades in Waterdeep. It is a huge city full of guilds, merchants, nobles, adventurers and traders. There must be someone interested in them - to whatever ends. As a DM I may rule that they are easier to come across and therefore going for substantially below market value, but certainly not undesirable to the point of uselessness. Just my 2 cents, Astlin.

Cheers, F4

It was hard to come by level equivelent gear, once we already had an item (+1 swords for example) he gave them to all the NPCs we came across.

The book did not have prices for magic items, so he just was not going to allow us to buy and sell them. He eventualy relented and allowed us to sell and in limited way, buy items. It took him a long time to come around though (we where level 13 IIRC).

Astlin

Remove ads