D&D 5E Buying magic items, yes or no?

Are purchases of magical items allowed? Multiple choices allowed.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
I picked Rarely, which is true for permanent magic items. Potions and scrolls can be found for sale with a lot more regularity than that. And it is possible to commision an item if you find someone who could make it - however that would likely take a while in-game, and what you afford when you go to commision it may not be all that great a few months (and levels) later.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
Why does the poll allow for multiple category votes? These are singular options. If you vote for 1, you aren't doing any of the others.
To allow for a situation like mine, perhaps, that in practice comes across as "Usually" but by the OP's definition falls under "Occasionally" (I voted for both).

There's almost always some - but not many, maybe 5 to 20 in total depending on town size and random luck - magic items for sale in any decent-size town or city. (so, 'usually').

What those items might be is almost completely random, meaning there's no guarantee whatsoever of being able to find what you want (so, 'occasionally').

I answered "Occasionally" but it's kind of a tricky one to answer. Generally in my campaigns it's pretty easy to sell magic items, and usually in a big city or a big trade area someone will be trying to sell some, but they won't necessarily be specific, sought-after ones (or they might!), and I also have a traveling interplanar market which occasionally comes in through portals and that is a very easy way to sell and buy magic items (huge selection but still maybe won't have what you want of course), if you can get into the right time and place to meet it - that information might be hard to find, maybe you have to bargain it out of a wizard and do his quest or whatever.

To allow for a situation like mine, perhaps, that in practice comes across as "Usually" but by the OP's definition falls under "Occasionally" (I voted for both).

There's almost always some - but not many, maybe 5 to 20 in total depending on town size and random luck - magic items for sale in any decent-size town or city. (so, 'usually').

What those items might be is almost completely random, meaning there's no guarantee whatsoever of being able to find what you want (so, 'occasionally').
Yeah I was also wavering between those two and that seems like a similar approach to my typical one.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus

That would fall into "other." By allowing multiple votes for categories that are pretty unique, it defeats the ability to see who does what.

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
The introduction of common magical items has sort of blurred the issue for me - common items are, well, not that rare, so people with money often have an item or two. A few common items are more "useful" - like a magic sword - and those are more expensive.

In our soon ending SKT's game, my PC started with a moon touched sword he had made himself, for example.

However, for other items they are much rarer. Basically there is a broker with a few useful scrolls and potions, and a small amount of randomly determined uncommon magical item - and maybe a rare one or two. Anything else has to be found.

It’s a good thing that DM control magic item market.
but it can be nice, to buy or trade items, and price should not stick to DM guide.
I think that DM should not hesitate to craft item designed for actual PCs, and insert them in different occasions Hoard, buy, trade, paiement.

Remove ads