D&D 5E Buying the Farm - Claiming the Ruin - Occupying the Dungeon

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
Costs: Building stone stuff new typically costs thousands to tens of thousands gp. Wood in the hundreds of gp, low thousands for a really big building like a large barracks. Repairs will cost a fraction of that. A keep in fairly good condition like the Shadowed Keep on the Borderlands cost hundreds of gp IMC, as did blunting the points from the wall spikes in the Stonehell level 4 evil pain cult dungeon & turning it into a luxury resort inn for dungeon dwellers.

For followers I tend to use the 1e AD&D DMG rules as a base. But most followers are recruited in play, eg my son's high priest of Yig PC seeks to recruit any lizardmen, troglodytes, yuan-ti etc encountered to join the swelling ranks of his temple forces.
The 1e DMG also has some vague guidelines on pricing for stronghold construction. The cost to build a full-ride stone castle with outer curtain wall etc. can easily get into six digits.

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
There is a pretty good blog entry on this here: (not by me)

Interestingly, he considers the value of stones from a dungeon being used into a castle.

S'mon

Legend
The 1e DMG also has some vague guidelines on pricing for stronghold construction. The cost to build a full-ride stone castle with outer curtain wall etc. can easily get into six digits.

And those costs should probably be doubled for 3e-5e, which work off 10 sp per gp rather than AD&D's 20 sp per gp.

Yes, we used those rules when a PC wanted to build a stone church with a tower in Ossington.

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
a quick aside on the value of money.

Prices in D&D often... don't quite make sense. It's very useful to pick one price and say "that one is correct" - and the unit I strongly recommend using is the cost of one day's laborer's work. It used to be 1 sp, but it is now 2 sp in 5e. I like it because it is a very "real" value - if a laborer earns 2 sp a day, then a loaf of bread can't be 3 sp!.

Once you have that one "correct" price nailed down, then other prices can be adjusted (IF NEEDED - it's a lot of work!).

For a much more detailed analysis: Your economic yardstick - the laborer

I have done it for years. It often starts out as a small house or apartment in a village they cleared of some evil. It then often progresses to space in a city, a warehouse that was infested by undead, then lands on the border with some "civilized monster" the heroes made friends with.

Supplements to look into:

XRP's Magical Medieval Society:Western Europe has a very robust, and probably overkill, system for constructing....anything. Roads, fortresses, temples, dungeons, farms, etc. It was for 3e but its easily adapted to other editions/systems as it is more guidance on how magic/items would impact construction. I think Drive-thru has just the building system chapters as a separate pdf but the whole book is awesome.

Tome of heroes - fairly simple system targeting estates that generate profit/loss as well as plot ideas from complications. It is probably worth it for a fairly rules-light approach.

Remove ads