By Crom! Modiphius is Making a New CONAN RPG

Modiphius Entertainment will be producing the newest Conan roleplaying game. Titled Robert E. Howard’s CONAN Adventures In An Age Undreamed Of, the game is planned for an August 2015 launch, and will focus on Howard's original stories using the 2d20 game system, the cinematic roleplaying rules devised by Jay Little (Star Wars: Edge of the Empire) for Mutant Chronicles. "Modiphius is already working on the roleplaying corebook for Robert E. Howard’s CONAN Adventures In An Age Undreamed Of to be released this Fall. A Kickstarter is planned for the summer to fund a larger range of roleplaying supplements, campaigns, and accessories to follow the core book."

_1423314403.png

They've got quite a team assembled: Timothy Brown (designer of the Dark Sun setting), Robert E. Howard scholar and essayist Jeffrey Shanks, Jason Durall (Basic Roleplaying, Serenity, The Laundry), and Chris Lites (Paizo, Savage Worlds, Omni, Slate). Shanks, the HOward cholar, will approve all material and ensure it remains true to the spirit of the original texts. This is, of course, not Conan's first outing as an RPG. There were Conan D&D adventures in the 1980s (when the Schwarzenengger movies were very popular), and a Conan RPG by TSR in 1985; there's been a GURPS Conan, and Mongoose Publishing's successful Conan RPG line with numerous editions and supplements. Conan first appeared in the pulp fiction magazine Weird Tales in 1932.

More info here.

Last edited by a moderator:

Water Bob

Adventurer
The game looks like it just might be AMAZING, too.

Except for this...

It's using Modiphius 2d20 system which is used in Mutant Chronicles, Infinity and John Carter RPG's - a fast flowing cinematic roleplaying system.

I pray to Crom that you guys release another version with better rules. Metagame mechanics is not my thing.

But, Crom has deaf ears for prayers, we all know.

modiphius

Explorer
Sorry Bob - you can always go back to old Mongoose Conan or TSR's Conan if you don't like 2d20 that much. As the popularity of Mutant Chronicles, Infinity and Conan is showing it's not going to change :) I would actually try the Conan quickstart which will launch later today. Once you've actually played the system you might think otherwise, as many people who started out not liking it have done so and gone on to become it's biggest fans.

We have two major licensed RPG's in 2017 launching that will also use 2d20, another two or three smaller rpg's later this year and several in partnership with other companies so 2d20 is not going away I'm afraid. We plan an unprecedented level of support for the community and particularly GM's. It's going to be a fun ride so I hope you'll be coming along :)

Water Bob

Adventurer
Sorry Bob - you can always go back to old Mongoose Conan or TSR's Conan if you don't like 2d20 that much.

Yes, that's what I will do. I like the Mongoose Conan game quite a bit. I'll stick with it.

I may buy some of your adventures, though, for use in my Mongoose Conan game.

As the popularity of Mutant Chronicles, Infinity and Conan is showing it's not going to change :)

Doesn't need to change. I just wanted an alternative. I know there are tons of people who do not like the 2d20 system.

I was hoping your Conan game would go the route of something like Primeval Thule and publish in different systems.

Oh well. Good luck! Looks like there are those, who do, indeed, like the 2d20 system, metagame mechanics and all.

I would actually try the Conan quickstart which will launch later today. Once you've actually played the system you might think otherwise, as many people who started out not liking it have done so and gone on to become it's biggest fans.

We have two major licensed RPG's in 2017 launching that will also use 2d20, another two or three smaller rpg's later this year and several in partnership with other companies so 2d20 is not going away I'm afraid. We plan an unprecedented level of support for the community and particularly GM's. It's going to be a fun ride so I hope you'll be coming along :)

Thanks, but I've looked very closely at 2d20, and I think it is an extremely bad system. It's gimmicky and features a glaring meta-game aspect to it. I don't like it at all.

I've presented it to my players, and the response I got was, "If you go to that for our Conan game, then we're not going to play."

We just don't like it.

But, good luck. I see the Kickstarter funded quickly. That's good news for you.

Sorry Bob - you can always go back to old Mongoose Conan or TSR's Conan if you don't like 2d20 that much. As the popularity of Mutant Chronicles, Infinity and Conan is showing it's not going to change :) I would actually try the Conan quickstart which will launch later today. Once you've actually played the system you might think otherwise, as many people who started out not liking it have done so and gone on to become it's biggest fans.

I'm looking forward to trying it. I've never used 2d20 but I'm willing to give it a go.

modiphius said:

Is the other game Thunderbirds!?

Erekose

Eternal Champion
Yes, that's what I will do. I like the Mongoose Conan game quite a bit. I'll stick with it.

I may buy some of your adventures, though, for use in my Mongoose Conan game.

Doesn't need to change. I just wanted an alternative. I know there are tons of people who do not like the 2d20 system.

I was hoping your Conan game would go the route of something like Primeval Thule and publish in different systems.

Oh well. Good luck! Looks like there are those, who do, indeed, like the 2d20 system, metagame mechanics and all.

Thanks, but I've looked very closely at 2d20, and I think it is an extremely bad system. It's gimmicky and features a glaring meta-game aspect to it. I don't like it at all.

I've presented it to my players, and the response I got was, "If you go to that for our Conan game, then we're not going to play."

We just don't like it.

But, good luck. I see the Kickstarter funded quickly. That's good news for you.

I think we were hoping for similar things Water Bob - sadly this isn't going to happen. As I have most (if not all) of the Mongoose supplements I'm not sure what (if anything) the Modiphus version would have to offer???

I imagine it'll boil down to just the adventures . . .

That said, as I was a Kickstarter backer of Achtung! Cthulhu I've every confidence that they'll deliver a high quality product . . . just not with a rulesystem that's to everyone's taste.

modiphius

Explorer
Man I would love some kinda Superhero RPG using the 2d20 system you have or a horror. :)

That's a fun idea.... we'd like to do a superhero one at some point for sure. You get a big dose of cosmic horror in Conan and also Mutant Chronicles - both encourage horror and resulting sanity effects

Oh really?

Can you tell us about it at this point?

Not just yet we want to do a lot more work on it before we unveil it, but it's going to massive :)

Water Bob

Adventurer
That said, as I was a Kickstarter backer of Achtung! Cthulhu I've every confidence that they'll deliver a high quality product . . . just not with a rulesystem that's to everyone's taste.

Yes, I've said it before. I like everything I see about this company and their products except the awful 2d20 System. I cringe every time they reveal a new title and shrug about another opportunity missed. It's really too bad that they've strapped their future to this divisive system that many do not like. I feel like they are shooting themselves in the foot. But, some like the system. I guess it's enough.

Remove ads

Latest threads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases