Byzantium on the Shannon, Part the Second

CleverName

Explorer
Intermission: A Cimbri Story

Background: The Helvetti, The Sons of the Stag, are a powerful, warlike Cimbri people whose noble house has been plagued by foriegn powers medding in its succession of late.

About 50 years ago they nearly destroyed Tavia, had not the Credi (another Cimbri tribe) risen against them to stand with the humans.

This is a story of how the Helvetti came to the area around Tavia and how they came to supplant the former inhabitants of their land, another Cimbri people, the Saluri.

As you can tell, the Cimbri are often their own worst enemy...

Ronan’s Tale: The Death of the Saluri

The Helvetti followed the Great Stag from their old lands in the West to the borders of the great forest of the Saluri. There the great stag slew the largest buck of the wood and gathered a harem. So there the great Druid of the Helvetti said we should dwell.

But the Saluri were jealous of their hunting grounds and made war upon the Helvetti. And the two Cimbri peoples were locked in battle for many years, but the battles did not go well for the brave Helvetti at first.

The King of the Saulri, Cathal, was blessed by the gods and had 12 sons, but they were slain by the Helvetti. But in the spring his last wife game him a 13th son. Upon this child’s birth, the old King did not know what to do, the provender for his other son’s funerals took most of his wealth. He went to the crossroads near his rath and decided to foster the son upon whomever came first.

Herne the Hunter came by first, who already knew what filled Cathal’s heart, and said to him, poor man, I pity you. I will hold your child, and will take charge of it and make it happy on earth.

“No, you may not have it, you will turn my son against me as you favor my foes of the forest.”

Herne turned into a deer and sprang away into the wood.

Then a shining nobleman appeared on the road and the King to him said, “What do you seek?”

“If you will take me as a foster father for your child, I will give him gold in plenty and all the joys of the world as well.”

The man asked, “who are you?”

“I am the Dagda.’

“I do not desire to have you foster my son, said the man, you favor only rich Kings, and leave the poor ones to hunger.”

Then came a man all in gray riding upon on a white horse, with bells upon the bridal and he said, “Take me as foster father.’

Then Cathal asked, “Who are you?”

“I am Arawn, lord of death, and I make all equal.”

“Then said King Cathal, you are the right one, you take the rich as well as the poor, without distinction, you shall be foster father.”

Death answered, I will make your child rich and famous, for he who has me for a friend can lack nothing.”

The man said, “Come back in a year and a day and you shall have my son.”

“When the time was up the King gave Ronan, his son. to Grim Awran. And his foster father took him into the gray lands of Annoon. There he learned to hunt and fight from the best of the dead warriors. When he was a man he was returned to his father. And Ronan was a great warrior but the power of the Helvetti had grown, so still times were hard with old King Cathal

One day Death reappeared to Ronan and led him forth into a forest, and showed him a herb which grew there, and said, “Now you shall receive your foster father's present. I make you a celebrated healer. When you are called to a patient, I will always appear to you. If I stand by the head of the sick man, you may say with confidence that you will make him well again, and if you give him of this herb he will recover, but if I stand by the patient's feet, he is mine, and you must say that all remedies are in vain, and that no healer in the world could save him. But beware of using the herb against my will, or it might fare ill with you.”

It was not long before the youth was the most famous healer in all of the Cimbri lands. He had only to look at the patient and he knew his condition at once, whether he would recover, or must needs die. So they said of him, and from far and wide people came to him, sent for him when they had anyone ill, and gave him so much money that he soon became a rich man. Now it so befell that the king became ill, and the healer was summoned, and was to say if recovery were possible.

But when he came to the bed, death was standing by the feet of the sick man, and the herb did not grow which could save him. If I could but cheat death for once, thought the healer, he is sure to take it ill if I do but, as I am his godson, he will shut one eye, I will risk it.

He therefore took up his sick father, and laid him the other way, so that now death was standing by his head. Then he gave the king some of the herbs, and he recovered and grew healthy again. But death came to Ronan, looking very black and angry, threatened him with his finger, and said, “You have betrayed me, this time I will pardon it, as you are my godson, but if you venture it again, it will cost you your neck, for I will take you yourself away with me.

Soon afterwards the king's of the Credi’s daughter fell into a severe illness. She was his only child, and he wept day and night, so that he began to lose the sight of his eyes, and he caused it to be made known that whosoever rescued her from death should be her husband and inherit the his lands and Kingdom.

When Ronan heard of this he though it might be the salvation for his Father’s kingdom. The healer came to the sick girl's bed, he saw death by her feet. He ought to have remembered the warning given by his foster father, but he was so infatuated by the great beauty of the king's daughter, and the happiness of becoming her husband, that he flung all thought to the winds. He did not see that death was casting angry glances on him, that he was raising his hand in the air, and threatening him with his withered fist. He raised up the sick girl, and placed her head where her feet had lain. Then he gave her some of the herb, and instantly her cheeks flushed red, and life stirred afresh in her.

When Arawn saw that for a second time his own property had been misused, he walked up to the healer with long strides, and said, “All is over with you, and now the lot falls on you”. Awran seized him so firmly with his ice-cold hand, which he could not resist, and led him into a cave below the earth.

There Ronan saw how thousands and thousands of candles were burning in countless rows, some large, some medium-sized, others small. Every instant some were extinguished, and others again burnt up, so that the flames seemed to leap hither and thither in perpetual change.

“See,” said Death, “these are the lights of men's lives. The large ones belong to children, the medium-sized ones to married people in their prime, the little ones belong to old people, but children and young folks likewise have often only a tiny candle.”

“Show me the light of my life,” said Ronan, and he thought that it would be still very tall. Death pointed to a little end that was just threatening to go out, and said, “behold, it is there.”

“Ah, dear foster father,” said the horrified healer, “light a new one for me, do it for love of me, that I may enjoy my life, be king of two peoples, and the husband of the king's beautiful daughter.”

“I cannot,” answered Arawn, “one must go out before a new one is lit.”

“Then place the old one on a new one, that will go on burning at once when the old one has come to an end,” pleaded the healer. “I will show you.”

The young man grabbed is small candle, but as he was to place it upon the new, the wax burnt his fingers and he dropped it, and was extinguished. Immediately Ronan fell on the ground, and now he himself was in the hands of death.

And so was the wisdom of the Saluri. And so their light went out of the world.

fin

..with apologies to the Brothers' Grimm

Last edited:

CleverName

Explorer
Nyssa's Journal, Part 3 (Adventure 42)

Nyssa’s Journal: Knight of the Air

4th April (Saint Leontius’ Day)- (continued) W and I have an interesting talk with Aoelif as we traveled. Aeolif is surprisingly thoughtful for one who seems so prone to react first and consider the situation later.

5th April (Saint John of Iconium’s Day)- An hour or so before dusk we arrive at the crossroad outside the Sacred Grove. Just in time for a trade fair sponsored by Caldor, one of the local Helvetti warlords. (Caldor, I am told, was not pleased by King Brice’s ascension to the throne of the Helvetti.) The fair has a festive atmosphere and even some Iconian famers are here peddling their crops, assisted by, of all things, a Stephenite called Theon of Thracealus.

Witnessed a confrontation between Aoelif and Annan, one of Caldor’s warriors, who accused King Brice of having achieved his crown through ‘foreign wizardry.’ It led to the drawing of steel but not blood as Gudlaug intervened. However, neither the word of the Fianna or the Druid seemed to be able to convince Annan that King Brice achieved his throne justly. Annan claimed to have the word from a priest of Arawn, lord of the dead, whose word was, of course, undoubtable. You could almost hear Gudlaug grin his teeth!

The Stephenite invites us to stay with the Iconian farmer, Xenos, and his people by Theon. (Father Theon, oddly, I would have thought his Order title would have trumped that, but to each their own.) Xenos was most kind and very generous with his food, I made sure he was well rewarded for his kindness.

Afterward, we traveled to the edge of the Sacred Grove, a dark and foreboding place. Sadly, only Druids are allowed in the Grove, so we waited while Gudlaug and Ingolf ventured within to speak with the Druid who now keeps the Grove. They both came out looking a little troubled, but no explanation was immediately forthcoming.

It was decided to keep watches, just in case Annan decided to stir up trouble.

6th April (Saint Eleandra’s Day)- Annan and eight of his brother warriors are out riding about in the pre-dawn light. While Annan wishes to ‘teach us a lesson’ he cannot convince the other warriors, he then rides off in a huff to report to his master, Caldor.

Traherne, our guide, tells us that we should reach King Brice’s steading by the end of the day’s ride.

While on the road, such as it is, we are attacked by a pair of chimera! How wonderful! One had a white dragon head and spewed frost, while the one nearest to W and I had a green head and exhaled a cloud of choking gas. Rather nasty that. Theon and Gudlaug quickly struck back against the white-headed chimera. The Stephanite’s arrows struck true and Gudlaug used a water effect I had not seen before and smashed a wall of water into the beast and it fled in terror, quickly followed by the green-headed one.

Gudlaug animated the trees and they caught the green-headed chimera as the Sephanite flew after it on wings of wind. I calmed the chimera with whom I was able to converse as it spoke Sylva (albeit very poorly). It told us that it was hired by Macarra, a ‘dead man’, to kill us and it and its mate were paid in man-flesh (Cimbri, I suppose). It gave us directions to Maccara’s lair, but as they were from a bird’s (or chimera’s) eye view that was not as useful as it could have been. Lastly, I told the poor creature to leave this place and never bother us again and it flew away.

The heroes think the ‘dead man’ referred to by the chimera is the Ollave of Arawn that we had learned of and seems to be allied with Caldor. We continue on to the royal palace of the Helvetti, a competently built hillfort, to meet with King Brice and inform him of what we have learned.

Unfortunately, we must wait as the King is meeting with his councillors.

While waiting, W and I tour the fortress. We also have the luck to be able to watch a Cimbri tattoo artist invest a tattoo on a young warrior. Very interesting, if rather a painful route for a temporary effect! I would have like to have talked with the artist but he seemed very intent upon his task. Then back to the hall that has been set aside for us for a bath, only to find that the Stephenite had jumped in first! It seem that chivalry, if not dead, is at least wounded.

Still, managed to be more presentable for our meeting with King Brice. We told him what we had learned and, unsurprisingly, he was most concerned. Gudlaug and I are to scrye upon the ‘Dead Man’ and Annan on the morrow to see what we can learn about them and their locations. Then, on the day after, the King is taking us hunting.

Glossary

Chimera- Beast of legend with the body of a lion, the wings of a dragon and three heads, one a dragon, one a goat and the last a lion.

Stephanite- A Knight of the Order of Saint Stephen, Archangel of Air, the Garland Crown of Logos. Saint Stephen is the patron of archers, and often prayed to to those who depend on the weather for their livelihood such as farmers and sailor. The Order of Saint Stephen is known for their archery and opposition to the forces of evil.

Last edited:

CleverName

Explorer
Summaries of Adventures 31-39!

Please go and admire the work of Jess, Jon and Sean in playing catch-up on the adventure writeups.

I re-posted their summaries just before Sean's first Nyssa entry. So you need to go back one page and read starting with the " More adventures, different narrator" post.

Thanks, everyone!

Old One

First Post
Glad to See You Back...

I was afraid that BotS was gone for good...very happy to see you back!

Is Keith still playing and just get tired of playing scribe?

Thanks for the continued updates!

~ Old One

CleverName

Explorer
Re: Glad to See You Back...

Old One said:
I was afraid that BotS was gone for good...very happy to see you back!

Is Keith still playing and just get tired of playing scribe?

Thanks for the continued updates!

~ Old One

Life has thown him a lot of curves lately, but Keith (Ingolf) is still playing. In fact, he and Aoelif are the only original PCs left.

Thanks for checking in, Old One!

Last edited:

CleverName

Explorer
Nyssa’s Journal, Part 4 (Adventure 43)

Nyssa’s Journal: Maccara's Blessings

7th April (Feast of Saint Ionna)- A beautiful spring day! After breaking our fast we are off to a small natural pool for it is such that Druid use when they wish to scry. Gudlaug seemed quite nervous and even a simple image of Annan for him to concentrate upon did not help the druid enough for him to find him with his magic. Then back to the hall where King Brice had found an ancient silver mirror for my use, a little magic soon polished it back to shimmering beauty. First, I attempted to locate the shadowy Maccara but my gaze would not focus upon him. A cautious one he, he must either be warded or upon a different plane, but I suspect he has warded himself.

Then it was my turn to scry Annan. I had better luck. Finding Annan speaking with a sickly fellow who was revealed to be Caldor. Annan was being sent forth to visit the Lady Eidine, another Helvetti warlord whose lands border both Caldor’s and the King’s, and to check on the guard along the road to ‘the Pit’. Annan rides forth to do so and I see that around Caldor’s hillfort a small army is encamped and along the road there is a new shrine to Arawn covered with fresh sacrifices of beast skulls and gold.

Next we are introduced to Iscen, the King’s court sorcerer, advisor and teacher, he is an ancient Cimbri man who affected a most terrible pair of bright red pants! It is his belief that we are better suited to find out what Caldor is up to, as the King cannot travel without his entourage which could trigger the confrontation we are trying to avoid. We, with some reluctance, agree. It is decided that we will travel with the King’s hunting party as far as the hall of his vassal Dillion, a bard, and from there head on.

It seems that the western Helvetti lands are dotted with disused mines, called pits, left by the Saluri tribe who owned this land before the Helvetti drove them from it and one of them is on Caldor’s lands. Though we do not know what he may be digging for.

It comes as some surprise to Brice and Iscen that Caldor is ill, as he is a great hunter and renown for his endurance. Further there is a sacred well to the Cimbri goddess Brigit that is known for its healing powers on the edge of his land and is tended by Firtha, an ollave to Brigit who is highly skilled with healing. Very curious.

That night another feast, without meat to remind us why we are hunting, with a dance for entertainment. The dance tells the story of the Helvetti conquest of this land but is very laden with myth and legend, so it only conveys a small amount of information useful for our currant situation. Then to bed, stepping over only a few drunken Cimbri warriors along the way.

8th April (Saint Egon’s Day)- Travel begins, only us, the King and a hundred or so of his retainers! The retinue winds itself to Lord Dillion’s Hall, which is only a half day or so away. It and its small village are swamped with the numbers of the King’s retinue. We, Brice and the cream of his bodyguards, feast with Dillion. Dillion tell us a legend of the Saluri and the last son of their last King who was fostered by Arawn! (DM's Note: see Ronan's Tale, above.) Most intriguing. The story ended with the son being taken by Arawn but not, perhaps, dead . . . Could Maccara be related to this Prince of the Saluri? Perhaps even be him return by Arawn to complete some task?

In return, Ingolf, with W playing accompaniment, tells of the slaying of a great white dragon in the ice fields of the far north by Aoelif and the heroes. A most rousing tale and well told. I wish that had brought some pieces back with them so I could investigate them for magical properties. I suspect that white dragonbone would take to frost magic most easily. I hope that someday I will have a chance to experiment with such.

Gudlaug scryed upon Annan, only to find him asleep. He simply seems to have no luck with such magic. My scry upon the Lady Eidine was more successful, finding her in whispered conversation with her husband, Leith, a master of tattoos. They are undecided on who to support in the coming conflict, wisely, it strikes me. But they owe someone (Maccara?) for the health of their daughter who was sick. But Eidine seems to think there is someone still wrong with her, saying that her daughter smells odd . . . I pass this information on to the others but they seem as flummoxed as I am about its meaning.

9th April (Day of Saints David and Hadrian)- We slip away from the other hunters, heading into Lady Eidine’s lands towards the sacred well of Brigit. Gudlaug uses his druidic magic to conceal our passage through the woods. Fascinating. It seems that it would be a difficult effect to duplicate through arcane means. Otherwise, uneventful.

10th April (Saint Judith’s Day)- We travel deeper into Eidine lands. Shortly afternoon, who do we meet on the road but Annan leading a party of eight warriors. Annan refuses to listen to reason, though I try to avoid conflict . . . He chooses to fight and Aoelif is happy to oblige.

The fight ends remarkably quickly. The Stephanite’s arrows quickly slay one of Annan’s liutenants while Aoelif leaps forward to engage Annan. They trade blows with both drawing blood. As I suspected, using the prism as a focus successfully enlarged the area of my colour spray enough to encompass them all. The dazzling fan of colours strikes them all blind and dumb. Between the Stepanite’s arrows and Aoelif’s swords, Annan is then cut down. As the druid’s huge wolf tears one of the warriors down, it most gruesomely rips into him consuming much of him in bloody gulps. I still shudder to remember it. After a rain of ice called down by Gudlaug, the others wisely surrender, thankfully!

We question them but learn little, we had already killed all of their leaders. But they are our captives and we take them with us to the Lady Eidine’s Hall. There we hand them over to Eidine’s keeping, though she berates the warriors for being defeated by a band only two thirds their number! (Eidine is well covered with magically tattoos, quite beautiful work.) Eidine invites us into her hall as her guests. There we meet her daughter Tira, who I observe is under a strong necrourgic effect! Unfortunately, I cannot identify it further than that. Informing the others, we cannot immediately figure out what to do next.

Eidine feasts us and we discuss the current situation with her. And learn that Caldor had been seriously gored by a huge boar on a recent hunt and he too had been saved by Maccara. We tell her that Caldor has become sick of late and that Maccara’s healing may be of a limited duration. When we express our worries about Maccara and our fears about what he may have been doing, Tira become quiet upset and is excused from the room by her mother.

Leith then joins us, he had been listening fro the next room, and the discussion continues. (Leith being even more tattooed than his lady wife and all of his tattoo are magical as well.) They tell us that Firtha went into Caldor’s lands to ransom her husband who had been caught hunting on Caldor’s lands and she never returned. We learn that Tira was bitten by a poisonous snake and Maccara turned up shortly, suspiciously shortly, afterwards to save her. It seems to me that this is far too convenient. I voice my suspicions that Maccara is arranging these accidents to cause the local nobles to fall into his debt.

We inspect Tira’s room looking to see if Maccara had left any charms or curses here, but sadly we do not find anything further that we can trace to him. I wish we knew more of the man. Eidine tells us that he wears a breastplate shaped into a death’s head decorated with human bones and carries a blackwood staff. He sounds like a dark man filled with dark power.

Leith offer to escort us to the Pit. From which we are told that they are extracting lead to finance Caldor’s army. But who knows what other things they may be digging up? Strangely, Caldor is also buying a great deal of salt but for unknown reason. W suggests as some form of magical protection. But if so, against what? We accept Leith’s offer to guide us on the morrow, perhaps then we can learn what is going on at the Pit.

Glossary

Necrourgic- What is termed necromancy in common parlance, but necromancy is technically the art of divination by using the dead.

Tattoo Artists- A specialist in creating magical tattoos, a common temporary magic item among the Cimbri.

Last edited:

CleverName

Explorer
Nyssa' Journal, Part 5 (Adventure 44)

Nyssa’s Journal: Evil Unmasked

11th April (Saint Felix’s Day)- After a breakfast with a subdued Eidine and Tira, Leith uses one of his tattoos to shift into the form of a mighty stag, unfortunately he did not warn us so I was not able to observe the effect fully.

Leith then leads us a few hours through the woods on game trails and back paths. When we emerge, he points out the road to the Pit, it has been well used of late with signs of widening and recent wagon traffic. W scouts ahead as we travel down the road. After about a mile, we secrete our mounts in a grove out of sight of the road and continue on foot. A little further down, W finds a guard post at a crossroads. W and Ingolf circle around to prevent them from getting help, and after a few minutes to let them get into position, we advance down the road. They halt us and demand that we turn back and Gudlaug is unable to convince them otherwise. Losing patience, Gudlaug smites them with a crashing wave of water (the same effect he had used on the Chimera I believe) that smashed them into unconsciousness. The Stephanite binds them securely with rope and leads their horses away to be hobbled with ours.

We start slowly down the road to the Pit while Gudlaug changes into an eagle and follows the other road to the Sacred Well of Brigit. Within but a short time Gudlaug returns, looking a bit shaken. He informs up that the Sacred Well has been defiled and the house of the Ollave destroyed. And when he attempted to bless the Sacred Well, terrible spectral creature rose out of the water and attacked him. He defeated them and returned to us. I remember thinking at the time it was odd that a servant of Awran would risk angering one of the other gods of his pantheon and that the spectral creatures were surprising as gods of death rarely have truck with such beings. I was to have answers soon enough.

Filled with apprehension, we continued on towards the Pit, again with W scouting ahead. Only find that the where the road debouches it was guarded by three ranks of animate skeletons. Each of the thirty odd skeletons holding a great axe and waiting. Soon enough, they spotted us and rushed forward, a silent wave of bone and steel. I hasted myself and with the aid of the scorcher and some magic missiles from my fan, we quickly dispatched the skeletons with minimal damage to ourselves. W’s halberd smashed through the skeletons’ bones with great efficiency.

Then things turned against us, a cloud passed before the sun and from the pit emerged Maccara in his black armour and a gray-skinned Annan, back from the dead but not fully alive, with a shimmering greataxe. Maccara’s first action was to call down a roiling wave of fire upon me. Thankfully, Fuchs’ sharp senses allowed me to dodge in time to avoid the worst of the fire, but I was still badly burned. Aoelif, naturally, ran forward to engage the quasi-living Annan while the Stephanite and Ingolf rained arrows upon Maccara with little effect. I quickly took cover behind a mound of excavated earth from the Pit. The others were struck at by serpents of fire released from Maccara’s staff. Ingolf and W nimbly avoiding the flames but the Stephanite and the Druid were badly burned and the Druid’s dire wolf was entirely consumed by the flames!

I could not see it, but Aoelif soon ended the quasi-life of Annan much to the anger of Maccara. He demanded Aoelif’s name and when she gave it, he became enraged and tore away his breastplate and helm revealing an ash gray and twisted body beneath with a twisted symbol bound into the flesh of his chest. (Which I later learned was the symbol of Nyag, the Rolgulkan Demon-God of the Unliving.) His eyes flared with an unhallowed green fire. “I have unfinished business with you!” He cried.* “You denied me my ritual in Rolgulka, now I will have my vengeance! You will replace Annan at my side and serve me in a dark eternity after I have savaged your body and soul!”

With that revelation he pointed a bony finger at her and then gestured to the pit behind him. “Jump, Fianna!”

Aoelif jerked, struggled against his Dark Will for a moment, then ran towards the lip of the pit and threw herself in!

The rest of us struck against him as we could but to no avail. His armour turned the arrows of our warriors and some powerful ward caused the magic of my spells to flow off him like water off a roof. Magic missiles, glitterdust, more magic missiles, all without effect. I was near to despair. But the Necromancer was perched on the edge of the Pit, near to a wooden platform that overlooked it. Out of desperation, I used shatterfloor. The Necromancer seemed unaffected, but the ground around him and the edge of the platform were shattered and splintered. He lost his balance and tumbled backwards into the pit.

We rushed to the edge of the pit to see what had happened to Aoelif and the Necromancer, as the Stephanite flew on wings of air. I prayed the fall had finished the creature.

We arrived just in time to watch the Necromancer pick himself up and summon a massive flux of dark energy which he plunged back into his body, causing his body to twist and reform -- The wounds and tears in his gray skin sealing over. All the fight seemed to go out of Ingolf when that happened. I was none too steady either now for Aoelif's sake. Gudlaug and the Stephanite seemed all too willing to fight to the death, which was likely to be ours.

The Necromancer strode over to Aoelif, who was lying injured in the pit, with a flick of his wrist, The three knobs at the end of the staff detched and grew spikes - three balls and chains slid from his blackwood staff like snakes uncoiling on ropes of slime. With a single blow, he struck Aoelif unconscious and placed his boot on her throat.

With his eyes ablaze with unhallowed light he looked up to us and said, “Serve me in a simple task, and she may yet survive this day.”

“What do you want of us?” I asked, my throat dry and tight, as if his boot rested upon my neck and not Aoelif’s. My mind racing as I tried to think of a way to help her.

“A task that serves us both. Bring me Lord Vihar’s son and I will return the Fianna to you, alive. We both will benefit, as Lord Vihar is no friend to you, weather you have the wits to know it or not. Deny me and you will meet the Fianna again only as the puppet-servant of Nyag.”

A dark laughter seemed to underlay his words, as he had no fear of us. With a gesture from his left hand, two shadowy spirits were summoned to guard his flanks. Ingolf’s sent an arrow winging against the Necromancer but it shattered like rotten wood against his unnatural skin. “Give me your answer, or suggest something of equal value!” He demanded leaning forward, placing more weight upon Aoelif’s throat.

“It will take time,” I called out, hating to see Aoelif so vulnerable and the Necromancer leaned back, easing the pressure upon her neck.

“How do we know we can trust you to keep your bargain?” asked Ingolf, another arrow nocked and ready.

The Necromancer laughed, a sound like a death rattle, “I could swear upon my god but, somehow, I do not think that would satisfy you.” He idly swung his triple ball and chain, letting the balls strike the ground only inches from Aoelif’s skull. “The question is: do you have any choice but to trust me?”

“Aoelif would never ask this of us,” hissed Gudlaug, “she would die before serving this . . . thing. We must fight.” Ingolf nodded and grimly took aim. I, wearily, readied another spell. The Stephanite floated above the Necromancer, obviously prepared to martyr himself, his bow ready. W tensed for action at my side. I fully expected to die here, but, thank Logos and all the Saints, it was not to be.

“As you choose!” called the Necromancer. Then, wrapping his left hand tightly in Aoelif hair, he called upon his dark god and like a shadow exposed to light, he melted from this plane to another one, Aoelif with him. Ingolf’s arrow tore through the space that the Necromancer had just occupied, while Gudlaug’s prayers died on his lips. The shadow guardians faded only a second later, leaving only an unnatural stillness and the stink of death in the air.

“She is lost to us!” cried the dwarf, anger and sorrow vying for control of his voice.

* I was later informed by Ingolf that the heroes -back before the Druid joined them- had encountered agents of this being, the ‘Necromancer’, before on the edge of Rolgulka. There the heroes had prevented him (it?) from completing a terrible ritual that would have created some horrid creature, a foul necromantic wyrm they believed, to serve him and his dark master.

Last edited:

Knight-of-Roses

Historian of the Absurd
Re: More adventures, different narrator

CleverName said:
Summary of Adventures 31-40 by Jessica and Jon Hanna
Trials of Kingship (Adventure 31)

He [King Brice] then had us up to his hall and offered rewards. Martaine preempted the group by stating ?the goodness of your reign, and averting war with the humans will be reward enough? or some such nonsense. We left. He made our Cimbri friend Brion a landed noble and gave him Boars Hall.

In fairness, Martaine did let the party hem and haw around for about fifteen minutes without asking for anything before he decided to shut the conversation down. You had your chance.

And what he said was, "All we can ask is that you be a good King and bring peace to this land."
Just clarifying for the record.

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
Yay!!!

BotS is back!!! I realy like this particular story hour, and I'm glad it has picked up again

Who is the stephanite again? Is he a PC or NPC?

Ancalagon

Remove ads