Byzantium on the Shannon, Part the Second

CleverName

Explorer
ADVENTURE 45: Of Gods and Rats

Part II: Homecoming

It being very late, the party camped on it’s way to the mine. While they were sleeping, the group was awoken by Winter, who was on watch with the Glitterdeath warrior.

“Something approaches.” She told the others.

They all readied themselves, in time to see a large, dark wolflike shape ambling towards them, with two others following behind. The stench of death, and burned flesh let them know that the undead dire wolf approaching them was none other than Freka, Gudlaug’s former companion.

“Vile!” The Dwarf spat. “This shall not be!” He planted himself and readied his hammer.

The archers in the group let fly with arrows, and the battle commenced. The undead dire wolves were fierce and bloodthirsty. Ingolf, the Scooby-snack of dire wolves, was first to take damage. Theon also felt the sharp fangs of the dead creatures rip his flesh.

Suddenly, a lightning bolt pierced the night sky. It struck a great tree, splitting it in-two. From the smoldering trunk, a dirty, soil covered form wearing only a cloak leapt out. It was a screaming Aoelif!

Chills ran up Ingolf’s spine! The group was unsure if she was herself or a minion of Nyag. He hesitated as she ran screaming towards the Party. Aoelif approached faster and faster, with a dagger raised. She leapt into the middle of the fray and was coming to bear when Ingolf knocked the small weapon from her hand.

“What did you do that for you blockhead?” Aoelif wailed. “I am trying to help you!”

Ingolf stammered and screamed, “Who are you going to attack?”

“The wolves” yelped Aoelif as a Dire wolf bit her unweaponed hand. “I’ll explain later! Now fight them!” She pointed towards the wolves.

Fortunately, the Glitterdeath stepped in and dealt tremendous damage to two wolves, and Freka was also dealt with. They all were put down.

With confusion on their faces, the group surrounded Aoelif, who explained as best she could, what had happened to her. Theon was unsure of how to take this tale of actually meeting a god, but he kept silent. They all were overjoyed at Aoelif’s return, and they returned to their camp to talk and rest as best they could…

CleverName

Explorer
Jessica Hanna

Jessica Hanna (the woman behind Aoelif) loved this game, her character and she also loved this story hour. Because of that, and you loyal readers, I feel that I should tell you to not expect more updates from us.

Jessica Hanna and her two children were killed in a car accident on Tuesday morning.

Her husband played Gudlag, and the rest of us were all great friends of the family. We will miss her, Heather and Benjamin more than I can adequately express.

All I will say is that the heroics, love of life and sheer fun she expressed in Aoelif were but a pale reflection of Jessica. I am honored and blessed to have known her and diminished without her.

DCP_0064.jpg

Last edited:

blargney

First Post
Re: Jessica Hanna

My heart stopped when I read this. I'm terribly sorry to hear of the loss of Jessica and her children. My heart goes out to you, Jon, and all the other people she affected in her life. I won't ever forget her.

-blarg

ScyldSceafing

First Post
a

I am sorry for the loss of Jessica and the children; a bright spirit has fled, and the world grows darker.

Tell me, if anyone who knows is checking this any more - is there anywhere we might give in memoriam? Any arrangements we might help along? Anything we can do to show that we notice the loss of this light?

CleverName

Explorer
In Memoriam...

In lieu of flowers, Jon has asked that donations be made to the Memorial Park Zoo, where they often took their kids and where Jessica volunteered.

Make checks payable to Athens/Clarke Co., but please note Jessica, Heather and Benjamin Hanna in the "For" line.

Memorial Park Zoo
c/o Judy Williams
293 Grand Ellen Drive
Athens, GA 30606

Thanks so much; you folks are tremendous. I will show your responses to Jon someday soon.

Last edited:

Old One

First Post
Terrible News...

Wayne,

I am so sorry to hear about this. Please give my heartfelt condolences to Jon and the rest of you group. I cannot even imagine how devestated he and the rest of you must be. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your crew.

Thank you for posting the memorium address.

~ Old One

Knight-of-Roses

Historian of the Absurd
Jessica

Jess Hanna was a wonderful person and I will dearly miss her. She was a great and dear friend.

With the loss of her and her children, a little of the light has gone from the world.

Blessings upon you all.

Remove ads