• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

C&C <=> AD&D (conversion ease)?

Allandaros

Explorer
Can someone explain what sort of things would need to be converted from a Castles & Crusades module to an AD&D module (and vice versa)?

I'm seriously thinking about buying a copy, buuuut my FLGS doesn't have any, so I can't look through and decide whether or not it would be a worthwhile purchase. Any help, guys?

Also (and more of a side question), if I'm considering switching from AD&D 2nd Ed, which of these three systems would you recommend - C&C, Hackmaster, or WFRP? I was happy with 2nd Edition (and still am), but I've heard many many good things about these three.

Thoughts? Suggestions? Mockery and derision?

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock
Allandaros said:
Can someone explain what sort of things would need to be converted from a Castles & Crusades module to an AD&D module (and vice versa)?

I'm seriously thinking about buying a copy, buuuut my FLGS doesn't have any, so I can't look through and decide whether or not it would be a worthwhile purchase. Any help, guys?

Also (and more of a side question), if I'm considering switching from AD&D 2nd Ed, which of these three systems would you recommend - C&C, Hackmaster, or WFRP? I was happy with 2nd Edition (and still am), but I've heard many many good things about these three.

Thoughts? Suggestions? Mockery and derision?

Converting from AD&D to C&C is dead simple.

Unless you're a real anal-retenticve sort who cares (for some strange reason) about converting AD&D monster movement rates or the like into C&C with mathematical accuracy, all you really have to worry about is armor class...

In C&C, AC has a default rating of 10 and goes up. In AD&D, AC has a default rating of 10 and goes down. So, to turn AD&D AC into C&C AC, you merely add the difference between 10 and the AD&D AC to... erm... 10. Like this...

AD&D AC of 8 becomes a C&C AC of 12.
AD&D AC of 1 becomes a C&C AC of 19.
AD&D AC of -4 becomes a C&C AC of 24.

.. and so on. It's really, crazy simple. This is the main reason why I play C&C -- I can still play my old AD&D and Arduin adventure modules, but I can now find players ;)

So, I'd recommend C&C -- it will let you continue to make use of your AD&D 2e material with very little conversion, it has a great and growing collection of free fan-created material online, it's easy for veterans of newer game sytems (d20) to get a handle on, it's easy for players of AD&D to get a handle on, and the core rule book only sets you back $20.

And, despite what some people will tell you, it's very versatile -- check out my free Teutini setting (currently in preview stages) over at C&C Player.

Last edited:

Shadowslayer

Explorer
Everything James said. I did the transformation and it was that simple. My old 1e Monstrous trilogy became relevant again.

Only thing I'd add is that XP is calculated differently. Old edition monsters had a fixed XP value. In C&C the values are different (X amount per hit die, as well as Y amount per hit point) But thats only if you wanna be a stickler. I just used the 1 or 2e values. Didn't affect gameplay.

Treebore

First Post
Yep. what they have said. Any 1E stuff you have will be easy to use. Any edition D&D stuff is easy to use.

Any specific questions about anything go to the Troll Lords website click on the forum, join, and we will answer all your questions to the best of our abilities. Several of us hang out here regularly enough, so you can keep posting here, but you would get a LOT more advice in C&C's home forum.

Geron Raveneye

Explorer
Shadowslayer said:
Everything James said. I did the transformation and it was that simple. My old 1e Monstrous trilogy became relevant again.

Only thing I'd add is that XP is calculated differently. Old edition monsters had a fixed XP value. In C&C the values are different (X amount per hit die, as well as Y amount per hit point) But thats only if you wanna be a stickler. I just used the 1 or 2e values. Didn't affect gameplay.

Not really...if you check the 1E DMG, you can find the table for XP for Monsters, which includes a "Basic XP by HD" column, and a "Additional XP/HP by HD" column. :) They are not that dissimilar either, AD&D 1E hands out slightly more XP for monsters than C&C, but otherwise, they are pretty close.

Turanil

First Post
Allandaros said:
Also (and more of a side question), if I'm considering switching from AD&D 2nd Ed, which of these three systems would you recommend - C&C, Hackmaster, or WFRP?
I don't have WFRP but have read positive comments about it. I guess choosing it would be a direct departure from AD&D. On the other hand, with C&C and Hackmaster (I have both) you are somewhat still playing AD&D. For a rule lite system choose C&C. Hackmaster is a mixture of AD&D 1e and 2e with a ton of extra rules added in. Hackmaster would just add new options to an otherwise mere AD&D game, and is rule-loaded. For a different, simpler game, I would opt C&C.

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock
Treebore said:
Any specific questions about anything go to the Troll Lords website click on the forum, join, and we will answer all your questions to the best of our abilities. Several of us hang out here regularly enough, so you can keep posting here, but you would get a LOT more advice in C&C's home forum.

I've been meaning to ask somebody who posts there -- what's up with the new forum? I'm registered there, but can't post because my activation email never reaches my inbox. I think it might have something to do with my browser (I use Opera), but am unsure -- and, obviously, I can't post this query on the forum in question ;)

Last edited:

Treebore

First Post
I havedn't seen aztecman on the boards lately, he is the webiste dude, so I think he ahndles the messageboards too. I don't know. I'll copy and post on your behalf.

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock
Treebore said:
I havedn't seen aztecman on the boards lately, he is the webiste dude, so I think he ahndles the messageboards too. I don't know. I'll copy and post on your behalf.

Thanks much, Treebore! :D

Treebore

First Post
Apparently this problem isn't unique to you. Even the father of D&D had the problem. Apparently the best thing to do is e-mail the Trolls via their website contact and they will have to do some "manual" deal to get you in.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads