• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

C&C Assault on Blacktooth Ridge

Mythmere1

First Post
I agree it would have been better at 32 pages, but I think TLG is still a bit nervous about putting out materials with a higher price tag for C&C. As the publisher, it's probably hard to decide where to draw the line between quality and price. I think they did a relatively good job with Assault.

S'mon

Legend
I would be happy with a 32 pp adventure for £4.99, which was the old-school module price ca. 1983. :) 24pp for the £5 I paid in 2005 is admittedly not bad :)

rogueattorney

Adventurer
Nice adventure. But yeah, the maps! How hard would it be to just to an overhead hex-map, with little numbers or letters denoting the encounter sites? Not a revolutionary concept by any stretch.

R.A.

rogueattorney

Adventurer
cleaverthepit said:
the revolutionary concept was to nnot do it ;)

I guess that makes me a conservative. Or maybe even a dangerous reactionary counter-revolutionary. I'll report to Gate 9 for re-education as ordered. :lol:

But seriously, if you don't mind me picking your brain, why? I didn't think the scale of the area was such that a bit more detailed map wouldn't have been easily shoehorned into anyone's campaign. Call me old-fashioned, but I generally think the main purpose of a map is to determine how far it is from point A and point B. To do that, you generally need a point A, a point B, and some sort of means of determining distance and direction. Being pretty is kind of secondary. :) Oops, there I go again with my wrong-thinking...

(BTW, from the previews I've seen and the photographs from Lake Geneva Con, Darlene's work on CZ looks absolutely incredible - form and function. I'm highly, highly anticipating seeing the finished project in a month or two - maps and text.)

Aside from the wilderness and village maps, I thought it was a pretty nice little adventure. I'm curious to see how the area is further developed in A2.

R.A.

Melan

Explorer
cleaverthepit said:
the revolutionary concept was to nnot do it ;)

davis
Methinks you should read some Burke. And take a look at those very functional blue maps of the old TSR modules.

Treebore

First Post
Yeah, do the maps. Plus you need to do a master map for all the "short" pdf adventures you are doing. Especially when you put them all together into a print product. Granted, it was easy for me to do a quick players map, deciding as I draw it what the distance/spacial relationships are, but I would prefer not to have to figure things like that out.

A very good module though, and a good read like previously mentioned. This reminded me so strongly of Keep on the Borderlands I'm going to pull my copy out when
i finish moving into my new home and see about joining them together.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads