• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

C&C Questions

I have been curious about Castles and Crusades for some time now, but there are a couple of questions I have before I make the plunge of a purchase. First of all, no matter where or how hard I look, I cannot seem to find the equivalent of a DMG for sale, only the PH and MM. Is the DMG material included in the PH, or am I just missing something?

Also, one of the things that is attracting me to C&C is what I hear of its simplicity. I want to know, how easy is it to convert adventures from other systems (BECMI D&D, 1st/2nd/3x D&D, True20) to C&C?

Also, what are the pros and cons of running the complexity back? I play with a group that doesn't mind things being hand-waved or solved by DM fiat, as long as it's fair, but I wouldn't want to be doing it constantly. Thanks in advance for any input -- :)

Theron

Explorer
Readerbreeder said:
I have been curious about Castles and Crusades for some time now, but there are a couple of questions I have before I make the plunge of a purchase. First of all, no matter where or how hard I look, I cannot seem to find the equivalent of a DMG for sale, only the PH and MM. Is the DMG material included in the PH, or am I just missing something?

Also, one of the things that is attracting me to C&C is what I hear of its simplicity. I want to know, how easy is it to convert adventures from other systems (BECMI D&D, 1st/2nd/3x D&D, True20) to C&C?

Also, what are the pros and cons of running the complexity back? I play with a group that doesn't mind things being hand-waved or solved by DM fiat, as long as it's fair, but I wouldn't want to be doing it constantly. Thanks in advance for any input -- :)

Everything you need is in the PH and the Monsters & Treasures book. When the Castle Keeper's book comes out, it will consist of optional and variant rules.

The real beauty of C&C is how easy it is to adapt. I regularly pull things out of my old 1st and 2nd Edition stuff with minimal effort. Since a creature's stat block is typically about two lines of text, preparation is a lot faster.

As to the pros and cons of reduced complexity, it's going to depend on you and your group. I think the SIEGE System is a bit more evolved than simple hand-waving or GM Fiat (there are certainly a goodly amount of rules, they're just simple with consistent and easy application). The biggest effect of the low complexity is it's so much easier to change the things you don't like without breaking the rules set or warping it beyond recognizability. In short, you can always ADD stuff to it if it's too simple for your tastes.

It works for me when I run it for friends who enjoy gaming but who aren't rabid about it and my son (he's 8). I'd have a bit of trepidation running it for my Tuesday night group, which consists of a number of hardcore 3e rules wonks.

Theron said:
The real beauty of C&C is how easy it is to adapt. I regularly pull things out of my old 1st and 2nd Edition stuff with minimal effort. Since a creature's stat block is typically about two lines of text, preparation is a lot faster.

Thanks goodness for that -- as a player, I love the possibilities of the 3e ruleset, but GM'ing it tends to require more bookkeeping skill than I possess.

Theron said:
As to the pros and cons of reduced complexity, it's going to depend on you and your group. I think the SIEGE System is a bit more evolved than simple hand-waving or GM Fiat (there are certainly a goodly amount of rules, they're just simple with consistent and easy application). The biggest effect of the low complexity is it's so much easier to change the things you don't like without breaking the rules set or warping it beyond recognizability. In short, you can always ADD stuff to it if it's too simple for your tastes.

My group is pretty flexible -- there isn't a single rules lawyer in our regular group of 7. Four of us have GM'd different systems at one time or another, so most of us are familiar with both sides of the screen. I don't think the occasional rules hole/oversight/whatever that requires a judgment call is going to bother anyone, and it's really good to know that parts of ADD are "plug and play" with C&C; that puts a large chunk of my collection into play for pulling material.

Theron said:
It works for me when I run it for friends who enjoy gaming but who aren't rabid about it and my son (he's 8). I'd have a bit of trepidation running it for my Tuesday night group, which consists of a number of hardcore 3e rules wonks.

This may be the best news of all. I have two daughters, who will be 8 and 10 in a couple of months (right around the age I was when I first ran into role-playing) and I have been looking for a "starter system" to introduce them to role-playing. This sounds like it just might fit the bill.

seskis281

First Post
Given what you are looking for C&C probably does fit the bill.... most of the comments I've heard from players using it for family roleplaying have been really positive. With kids, the elaborate nature of "character building" which is the alure for many older rpgers in the community can be a drawback, and the nicest thing I've found is that, in C&C, characters are quite easy to start up....

Hope you have a blast! :)

question for you, treebore ...

would you mind sending me a copy of your C+C houserules? I was poking around the TL forums, and I like the way you handle feats. I'm curious to see what else you've incorporated.

please send to dragonlordofpoondaria (at) gmail (dot) com ... at your convenience!

thanks! :)

btw, I am astonished by the job Perkins did on his set of houserules. It's just AMAZING. I think I'm going to try it with some of my old 1e/2e modules.

Treebore

First Post
I saw your e-mail last night. Yes, I will be happy to share my house rules document.

I also agree Perkins did an awesome job of writing up his rules, and that they are a solid looking set of rules too. I've just not used them, I have C&C worked out pretty much to my complete satisfaction and it is so easy I don't want to mess with any other rules sets anymore. For D&D. I am having a good time playing Twilight 2000 (mostly 1E rules, but some of the 2E versions are being used), L5R, and others. So I will use rules sets for other Genre, but for my D&D type fantasy I am too spoiled by C&C to use anything else. Heck, in a few weeks we will be trying out my C&C adapted rules when I run my Traveller game.

Treebore said:
for my D&D type fantasy I am too spoiled by C&C to use anything else. Heck, in a few weeks we will be trying out my C&C adapted rules when I run my Traveller game.

Traveller, eh? That sounds sweet! You'll have to report back on how it translates. Which rules system are you adapting from, T20 or Classic or GURPS (that last one seems doubtful)?

Thanks again, man!

EDIT: Got it. Looks very interesting! Many thanks, Treebore!

Last edited:

Remove ads