• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

C&C with True20 Feat Conversion

Breakdaddy

First Post
Since my Players are primarily 3.x D&D players, I am trying to add some customization to our C&C game without taking away its basic simplicity. In this vein, I have begun converting the GRR True20 system Feats to C&C. Rogues/Bards/Assassins/Monks will be experts, Knights/Rangers/Paladins/ Fighters/Barbarians will be Warriors, and Illusionists/Wizards/Druids/Clerics will be Adepts. Has anyone else tried this yet? If so was it successful? My thoughts currently are to allow every PC to select 1 feat at level 1 and 1 additional feat every level divisible by 3, a la 3.x D&D. On a different note, I am currently converting my Special Ops style modern to a Grim Tales/True20 Hybrid, but this will require more effort.

EDIT: I am removing several feats that are redundant with character abilities inherant to the class archetypes of C&C and some others that add complexity to combat unnecessarily (IMO).

Dragonhelm

Knight of Solamnia
Breakdaddy said:
Since my Players are primarily 3.x D&D players, I am trying to add some customization to our C&C game without taking away its basic simplicity. In this vein, I have begun converting the GRR True20 system Feats to C&C. Rogues/Bards/Assassins/Monks will be experts, Knights/Rangers/Paladins/ Fighters/Barbarians will be Warriors, and Illusionists/Wizards/Druids/Clerics will be Adepts. Has anyone else tried this yet? If so was it successful? My thoughts currently are to allow every PC to select 1 feat at level 1 and 1 additional feat every level divisible by 3, a la 3.x D&D. On a different note, I am currently converting my Special Ops style modern to a Grim Tales/True20 Hybrid, but this will require more effort.

I was working on something like this recently myself, though I hit a few snags. I may go back to using D&D classes, but I'm not sure yet.

EDIT: I am removing several feats that are redundant with character abilities inherant to the class archetypes of C&C and some others that add complexity to combat unnecessarily (IMO).

Yeah, I'd kill anything that had the words "attack of opportunity" in it. Weapon Focus and Weapon Specialization would duplicate the C&C fighter's Weapon Specialization ability, so you'd want to kill those. Track would do the same for the ranger, so you'd want to nix that one too.

One thing True20 does that I like is to take out a lot of prerequisites for some feats. I've modeled a lot of my feats off of their system largely due to this. Very few of my feats require other feats, save where it makes logical sense. For example, two-weapon defense requires two-weapon fighting.

Breakdaddy

First Post
I was actually thinking of keeping focus/specialization in the feats list, at least until I can test it all out. My reason is this: with C&C not offering much in the way of multiple attacks per round the focus/specialization will stack with the fighters existing bonuses, making him even more fierce and, when taken by non Fighters, will allow them to hit more often with better damage. I hope this will help belay any need in our campaign to bolt on a multi-attack ruleset on our C&C game, because IMO, this is one of the reasons 3.x combat is so slow (though not the primary reason). I fully agree with Track and some of the other feats, they have been removed. I just completed my first draft of the document, and hope to playtest and receive feedback soon.

Breakdaddy

First Post
At this point, I have incorporated two metamagic feats if I remember correctly and no item creation feats YET. You are welcome to a copy of the document, just let me know where to send it.
Edit: there are some (spartan) rules in the M&T for item creation, and I want to at least give them a try before I add it through a feat system, but I might end up adding them.

Mythmere1

First Post
I'm going the other way. We're keeping AOO, which we used in AD&D, calling them "free attacks," we're just not using them at the level of complexity of 3e. For me, this means there are circumstances that create free attacks, but there won't be any feats that play off the free attack situation.

Breakdaddy

First Post
Mythmere1 said:
I'm going the other way. We're keeping AOO, which we used in AD&D, calling them "free attacks," we're just not using them at the level of complexity of 3e. For me, this means there are circumstances that create free attacks, but there won't be any feats that play off the free attack situation.

Im not keeping AOO except in its most basic form: if someone runs from you, you get a free attack against them. I have no feats related to AOOs in my document. The doc is still beta until I playtest it, but it looks promising. I really like some of the True20 feats, they offer a nice spin on standard feats without bogging down gameplay. Others are more or less standard D20 feats, which is ok too, but those need whittling down.

Remove ads