• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Caesar's Legion

SHARK

First Post
Greetings!

I special ordered the book, "Caesar's Legion" from Barnes & Noble, because they were out of stock. This fine-sounding book, is entitled:

"Caesar's Legion" by Stephen Dando-Collins. Copyright 2002. Published by John Wiley & Sons, New York. 320 pages. Price: $24.95, Hardcover.

I propose starting a reading group with any here that are interested. This seems to be the latest and one of the most authoritative works ever done on the Roman Legions. Not only should it prove to be delicious historical reading, but it can also be enlightening to various elements in our campaigns. I would initially say we could wait a week maybe, to allow everyone to pick it up, so we could start reading it together, and be able to discuss it currently, chapter-by-chapter.

I think this would be very interesting, so everyone who is interested, let me know. I've read several chapters since last night, but I am thrilled to read it all over again with friends here, just to do it together! This book is beautiful!:)

Semper Fidelis,

SHARK

Yuan-Ti

First Post
Great idea, Shark! I unfortunately can't do it right now since it would take me a couple weeks to even get the book. But I like the idea. Hopefully you will get enough to go along with you and we can do this in the future with other books.

SHARK

First Post
Greetings!

Well, should you be able to get the book, you can jump right in!:)

( It just means that you'll have to read quickly to catch up!:) )

It would be great to have you Yaun-Ti!

Semper Fidelis,

SHARK

mmadsen

First Post
OK, SHARK, you convinced me. I almost picked up Caesar's Legions on your recommendation earlier, but I just now ordered up a copy. I'll let you know when I get my mits on it.

SHARK

First Post
Greetings!

Mmadsen my friend, wait!:) There are two *different* books. The book I am suggesting here, is as per detailed above. The book that I recommended to you earlier, was "Caesar's Legions" by Sekunda/Northwood/Simkins, Osprey Publishing, Copyright 2000, 143 pages. Notice that while the titles are similar, they are different books. Again, the book to get for our reading group is:

Caesar's Legion, by Stephen Dando-Collins, published by John Wiley & Sons, Inc, New York. Copyright 2002, 320 pages.

Get this fine book, and we'll start reading it together!:)

Semper Fidelis,

SHARK

mmadsen

First Post
Mmadsen my friend, wait!:) There are two *different* books. The book I am suggesting here, is as per detailed above. The book that I recommended to you earlier, was "Caesar's Legions" by Sekunda/Northwood/Simkins, Osprey Publishing, Copyright 2000, 143 pages. Notice that while the titles are similar, they are different books.

Aaarrghhh!

Yeah, I just ordered up the Sekunda book published by Osprey.

Again, the book to get for our reading group is:
Caesar's Legion, by Stephen Dando-Collins, published by John Wiley & Sons, Inc, New York. Copyright 2002, 320 pages.

Get this fine book, and we'll start reading it together!:)

I feel like that guy -- you know, the one guy who shows up to the first day of class with the wrong book. OK, I'll probably order up Caesar's Legion (singular "Legion") too.

Man, my reading list is getting longer and longer.

SHARK

First Post
Greetings!

Excellent mmadsen! I'm glad! Now, don't misunderstand me, the other book--the first one that you just ordered--is a good book, that is why I recommended it, after all. But at 143 pages, it is full of pictures, and more of a technical book. I suppose I read it in about an hour or two. Trust me, you will thoroughly enjoy that book!

Now, as for our reading group, "Caesar's Legion" by Stephen Dando-Collins is 320 pages, and there are no pictures. It is a deep narrative describing the campaigns of Caesar, the Roman army in general, and the elite 10th Legion in particular. The book races along the lightning campaign in Gaul, the invasion of Britain, Spain, the Civil War, and so on. There are discussions of Roman weapons, armour, tactics, what they ate, how they trained, what they thought, how they were organized, as well as inclusion of different personalities, like various squad leaders, and Centurions that served in the Legions. For example, he talks about one particular Centurion who I think served in the 12th Legion in Illyrricum who was nicknamed "Bring Another" because, as a Centurion, he had absolute authority over his men, and was responsible for discipline. When he used his traditional vine-like rod, a stout wooden rod--to beat his men across the back, he would often break his vine rod over their backs as he disciplined them, and at such time, he would shout to the other legionaires gathered 'round, to "Bring Another!":)--as he stretched his hand out waiting for another rod...

It's great reading though! I've only read a few chapters, and I'm totally hooked. As I said though, I'll be more than happy to start over with our reading group!

let me know when you get it my friend!:)

Semper Fidelis,

SHARK

Maldur

First Post
Hi,
I just ordered the book, and will start reading when it gets here :D. Until than Ill lurk in your discusion.

Laterz, Maldur

sword-dancer

Explorer
Hello SHARK

Could you please compare it against Junkelmanns Die Legionen des Augustus.
Der römische Legionär im ärchäologischen Experiment.

There is an translation in english in work or at least negotiated.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads