• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Caesar's Legion

Steven McRownt

First Post
Hey guys why don't you go directly to "De Bello Gallico"? Its' Caesar Diary, during his conquest of France (at the time was called Gallia). We studied some bits in high school, then i bought it and it really rocks. Dunno if there is an english version out there, but you could try!

Steven McRownt

Yuan-Ti

First Post
Steven McRownt said:
Hey guys why don't you go directly to "De Bello Gallico"? Its' Caesar Diary, during his conquest of France (at the time was called Gallia). We studied some bits in high school, then i bought it and it really rocks. Dunno if there is an english version out there, but you could try!

Steven McRownt

It's been translated into English. There is a pretty good Penguin version of it available. It's a fun read, but there are lots of questions about whether he actually wrote it and if it wasn't more an early form of propaganda than real history. He was a politician, after all.

sword-dancer

Explorer
Yuan-Ti said:

It's been translated into English. There is a pretty good Penguin version of it available. It's a fun read, but there are lots of questions about whether he actually wrote it and if it wasn't more an early form of propaganda than real history. He was a politician, after all.

AFAIK it was a political not a historical piece.

Alaric_Prympax

First Post
Good Book

Hey SHARK,

I just wanted to chime in and say that it's a great book. I managed to read a few chapters of it on my breaks at work, and was very impressed by it. I highly recommend it.

SHARK

First Post
Greetings!

Well, what makes this book so excellent is that the author uses many different scholars from a variety of sources, from which to form the narrative. Not just Caesar's writings alone.

Alaric, do you want to join the reading group?:)

Let's see, so far we have the following:

(1) SHARK
(2) Mmadsen
(3) Yaun-Ti
(4) Maldur
(5) Alaric?

This should be very interesting to read the book together. From this, not only can we have interesting conversations about the text itself, but we can also consider various implications for integrating concepts and ideas into our campaigns!:)

This is going to be really cool.:)

Semper Fidelis,

SHARK

Jack Haggerty

First Post
Hrmmm... I'll have to see if I can pick it up from my Library.

Regardless of whether I can find a copy, I'd be quite interested in following the discussion.

mmadsen

First Post
By the way, it's very cool that someone in the Netherlands casually joins our reading group. It'll be a long time before I pick up a Dutch text on ancient history and join a reading group to discuss it!

Maldur

First Post
haha, thanks mmadsen.

English is a required second language from 6th grade ( about 8 years old). And I lived in New York for a while. My lousy spelling has to do with a slight case of dislexia.

Besides Ive always been a person who reads to much :D and a reading group has always been something I wanted to join, but never got around to.

So I appoligize for any bad english beforehand, and I hope that book gets here fast. My reaction time might be different as I'm several timezones away.

Cheerz, Maldur

ps mmadsen, there is a big chance Dutch textbooks on the ancient world are written in english, so picking one up might not be as strange as you make it sound.:)

Last edited:

SHARK

First Post
Greetings!

Excellent! This is going to be very fun indeed! I encourage anyone who is interested to hurry and get the book, so that we can start, say, towards the end of this week sometime? I'm hoping that might be enough time for everyone to either buy it directly or special order it by mail from the bookstore, or on-line.:)

Slightly tangental, I was thinking--as busy as I am with school, work, my own campaign, family, and so on--and I know many of you are as well--I cannot stress how important it is to *make* time for some good reading. Leaving the lighter stuff behind I mean, and digging in to a really good book on history, you know? I find so many rewards not merely in actual historical knowledge, but also in simply providing something new and provocative to stimulate my thoughts, as well as with conversations with others, do you see?

My father used to explain to me that someone who doesn't read has nothing to say. He explained that it didn't matter whether you were talking to a scholar, a business associate, someone at the local bar, or the man next to you laying bricks, if you were well-read, you had something interesting and intelligent to say, and to contribute to a conversation. he would say no matter where you go in life, being a good reader will make life more interesting, and make you a more interesting person. I have always remembered his words.:)

Though we all may have hectic schedules, I find it invigorating to spend at least one hour reading something good every day. Think of it this way: If you spend an hour per day working out, to keep the body in shape, it's good to spend at least the same time in reading, to keep your mind in shape!:) How's that sound?:) I know--I'm working on becoming a History Professor soon, and the teaching/reading thing I suppose is a trait shared by all professors. I hope I have encouraged some of the *Lurkers* as well, to read in general, and perhaps join our reading group, too.:)

Semper Fidelis,

SHARK

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads