• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Calculate Wizard

scottchiefbaker

First Post
I have a level 5 wizard with leather armor proficiency, and an intelligence modifier of +4.

I calculate my AC as 18: 10 + 2 (half level) + 2 (leather armor) + 4 (Intelligence modifier because it's light armor). However, the character builder calculates it at 16. I don't think the character builder is giving me the +2 for the armor.

Am I doing the math correctly?

FrozenChrono

First Post
Yes.

Do you have the armor equipped?

You can tell if you're getting the armor bonus by looking at your character sheet, on the AC section there's a list adding all your modifiers.

Amaroq

Community Supporter
Heh, yeah I've made that mistake, too. I wish CB would auto-equip non-conflicting items when acquired! (Obviously, it couldn't do that if I acquired a second sword, as it wouldn't know which one I preferred.)

In fact, one of my favorite encounters of all time involved that mistake. Playing the original Might and Magic on an Apple ][e, I made my first party, bought them all sorts of good starting equipment, and headed out into the streets. The very first thing I encountered was a black cat.

A single, perfectly ordinary cat.

What the heck, its a new game: attack!!

TPK.

I kid you not, that one cat took all five of my guys down, even exhausting the cleric's healing.

"Hmm, this game sucks."

New game. New equipment. Oh, hey, look, it didn't equip my stuff ...

Queue mental image of that first fight, keystone cops style: five naked humans vs one pissed-off-black cat.

:D

Gruns

Explorer
Come on! Level 5! Surely you have 360gp lying around so you can throw on some fancy +1 Leather!!!
(I know, not the point)
I'm going to go with "It's not equipped", too. For what it's worth, if you Add the armor it goes to inventory. If you Buy it, it equips it for you.
Later!
Gruns

Amaroq

Community Supporter
if you Add the armor it goes to inventory. If you Buy it, it equips it for you.
Man, never knew that! We tend not to wind up tracking gold through CB, so I've been using "Add" and thinking of CB as "broken" for a while! :) Thanks, Gruns!

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads