D&D 5E Campaign being throw out after a year

jgsugden

Legend
I would suggest trying to make everybody happy by taking a break from the current game and allowing the new game to play for a while and then returning to the existing characters that still wish to be played in a revised game down the road where the characters you wish to return to have moved on to a different storyline and replace the other PCS with new characters that those players will enjoy playing.

aco175

Legend
You cannot fix stupid.

I have played in games where the DM did not plan anything and tried to make up things and it all went poorly. I also played with people that tried to act like jerks, since it was their character and not them. Things like punching random people in the face, or attacking party members. An older thread talks about evil PCs and how nothing good ever comes from this.

I found that some people are childish and do not know what it expected of them. Some can come around to playing together and some fall away when they get bored of sabotaging games. It might be this since you said he is fairly new to the game. If you think he can come around talk to everyone about expectations and getting along. Its hard to cut loose friends, but sometimes it is needed.

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
Really? That is surprising to me. I guess we tried to play every 2 weeks or so, but we're all the same school so it made it a bit easier
25 sessions in a year is pretty good! Wait until you're trying to set up games for people in their thirties and forties. :)

Gwarok

Explorer
I'd start by clarifying a few things. Which character murdered an innocent child? Is that the druid with the 1 INT now? And are either the murderer, the druid, or the paladin who doesn't like his character the same people as the two players that want the new campaign?

Seems to me the 1 INT Druid and the paladin simply need to make new characters, assuming the DM isn't planning on restoring the Druid to a functional state, which it sounds like is the case. If these are the same people as the murderer and the other powergamer, that should fix things. No reason to upend the entire campaign because two players need new toons.

Aslak24

First Post
I'd start by clarifying a few things. Which character murdered an innocent child? Is that the druid with the 1 INT now? And are either the murderer, the druid, or the paladin who doesn't like his character the same people as the two players that want the new campaign?

Seems to me the 1 INT Druid and the paladin simply need to make new characters, assuming the DM isn't planning on restoring the Druid to a functional state, which it sounds like is the case. If these are the same people as the murderer and the other powergamer, that should fix things. No reason to upend the entire campaign because two players need new toons.

Yes, sorry I didn't clarify it. The person who murdered the child was the druid, who wanted to reroll and planned on just killing off his character. The session after he did that, we encountered the mindflayer in which ate his brain. It is both the druid and the paladin who want the new campaign. I think jgsugden hit the nail on the head. I think taking a break, then coming back further down the road with both of those characters gone, replaced with new PCs.

Yes, sorry I didn't clarify it. The person who murdered the child was the druid, who wanted to reroll and planned on just killing off his character. The session after he did that, we encountered the mindflayer in which ate his brain. It is both the druid and the paladin who want the new campaign. I think jgsugden hit the nail on the head. I think taking a break, then coming back further down the road with both of those characters gone, replaced with new PCs.
When you start new characters and play them for a bit, you might find you like your new character just as much or more than the old. You can also encourage the DM to bring in a few of the lingering plot threads to wrap things up. Having the new campaign in the old world.

Returning to the old story for a mini-campaign as a break, either to wrap things up or just tell a new chapter in the story, might also work.

CheezyRamen

First Post
That is actually what we did. The DM and I discussed starting a short, silly campaign as we figure out where to go with the real campaign, but now the other two just want to abandon the original. We always said that the original was going to be the main campaign, but that has since changed apparently. They always say to never split the party, but we might even split the real life party.
This REALLY sucks because I KNOW how hard it can be to find a reliable full group. But, especially if you are just going seperate ways it may just be better to split. Honestly, I would start DMing my own campaign to remedy the situation but not sure if you like DMing. But that way everyone gets what they want. Besides you of course which sucks.

But, honestly sounds like that DM needs a break.

CheezyRamen

First Post
I have definitely talked to the DM about it, but he's one of our friends and roommates. I don't think I will be able to enjoy any real campaign with such a toxic player in our group. Constantly on the phone, table talking, telling people what to do on their turns. I think this is pretty much the underlying issue with why the campaign came to a halt
Gosh man, that DOES sound terrible and it can be SO awkward to try and insinuate leaving a person behind.

Remove ads