Level Up (A5E) Campaign creation made easier

Gandalf970

Explorer
I have always made my campaigns about the players, which I assume most GM’s do. Now after having read Level Up I now see an easier path. There are so many choices players make from background, culture, heritage, class, destiny etc. I am taking a new path to campaign creation inspired by level up. What I am going to do is write down every choice the player has made from the above lists and those are the stories that will be told.

I have partly done this before, but never dug deep into what they wanted to do. Now with their specific choices they are telling me what they find fun and that is what they want to encounter and see in a story. With this information they will get to use all of those skills, rolls and abilities that they thought were cool enough to select and make a character.

I am planning on building a comparative sheet so things players choose that are similar in the party will be used more often. Seems simple enough, but I never looked at it through this lense before. Thank you Morris’s and the level up team.

BookTenTiger

He / Him
Yeah! That sounds fantastic!

I've always liked to sketch out a loose map during Session 0 with a few things I have planned out (maybe the starting village, or the location of the first dungeon), then add to the map as players pick classes and backgrounds. So if a player chooses to be a Druid with the Noble background, I'm going to plop in the location of a Druid Circle and some Kingdom or other.

I feel like Level Up gives even more items to add to the map during Session 0!

niklinna

satisfied?
It's really cool to have this stuff added into a5e. I've enjoyed other games where that stuff is an explicit part of the gameplay philosophy and really felt the lack of it in D&D, until now...except I don't have a D&D group at the moment!

johna_thr33

Explorer
I have a campaign I’m planning and a world I’m building, and having cultures, backgrounds, and the area types/tables/tiers have been hugely instrumental in helping me develop my lore

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
My hope is that the Regions are a valuable tool for other folks. I use them myself -- this forest is a tier 2 feywood, this mountain range is a tier 3 loft mountains, etc. Saves me a ton of time.

Remove ads