• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Campaign in Ancient Greece

ErichDragon

First Post
Ok, so I just finished reading Gates of Fire and The Ten Thousand and I want to run a campaign in Ancient Greece. Anyone know of any products on the market or have done some work on this themselves? I believe there was a thread about this a few months ago but I have been unable to locate it. Thanks in advance for any help!

Crothian

First Post
I did a quick search and didn't see any threads.

In the second edition days of D&D there was a series of Green Books that all had historical campaign settings, and Greece was one of them. It was very well done, and hada really cool colored map.

Darklance

First Post
I ran a historically acurate Greece game over the summer. Went over very well with my players...two of whom were non gamers.

Anyway...some of my notes I did up on the computer so I'll post what I can. My mind works in strange ways so I'm not sure you'll be able to make heads or tales of it. Anyway I'll go look.

Darklance

First Post
I handed this out to my players for a basic overview of life in Greece. Specifically Athens.

Greek Facts.
Agora: A Greek marketplace where government affairs were also dealt with. This was a common social gathering area.
Stoa: A permanent building usually in or around the Agora where multiple shops were kept.
Acropolis: A fortified Hilltop in the center of the city where the treasury and many of the temples were kept.
Drachma: The silver coins of Athens. These were more commonly called “owls” due to the Owl printed on one side. The other side featured Athena. These coins became excepted wherever Greek Trade spread due to their pure silver content.
Assembly: The government of all male citizens of the age of 20 and older.
Council: A group of 50 men who meet when the whole assembly is not needed.
Generals: There are usually 10 generals who each command 1/10th of the Athenian military. This is a prestigious position in the city and they have one of the most powerful positions because they can set foreign policy.
Archons: Nine men who did the primary day to day administration work of the city. Nine new archons are chosen by lot every year.
Magistrates: 10 Magistrates enforce laws/collect taxes/inspect goods. Five operate in Athens while Five operate in the adjoined port town of Piraeus
Piraeus: Sometimes considered part of Athens, Piraeus is a large port where the navy is kept and much trade takes place. It is connected to Athens via the “long wall” and an adjoining road.
Diet: Greeks mostly ate barley, olives, cheese, and wine. Costal areas have fish and some vegetables are available in limited quantities. Small birds are often hunted down and considered very good. Red meat is very expensive and only eaten only at religious festivals except by the very wealthy.
Clothing: Men and Women both wore a “chiton” which was more of a “wrap” than a shirt. They wear it belted and with a clasp to fasten it at the shoulder. Men wore them thigh length and women wore them Angle length. Cloaks were worn for warmth. Sandals were common for athletics and normal wear but boots were worn to war.
Attica: This was the peninsula on which Athens and its aligned towns were situated on.

Coinage
As in D&D the standard coin is a silver piece, called, in Greece, a drachma.
1 gold piece = 1 silver drachma=1 dollar

Weapons
The weapon of choice is the 2-3m longspear, useable one handed (making it a Medium weapon not a Large one) and weighing only 3 lb. It is cheap, dangerous and nasty. By contrast the humble shortsword and scimitar are sidearms, second-rate weapons used as a last ditch measure. Likewise shields are very popular, almost a required piece of kit. Get a shield!

The available Simple Weapons are:
Dagger=1 drachma
Sickle= 6 drachma
Club= Free
Quarterstaff (bakterion) =1 drachma or self made
Shortspear= 2 drachma
Sling=1 drachma
Javelin= 1 drachma

The available Martial Weapons are:
Handaxe=6 drachma
Shortsword= 10 drahma
Longspear= 5 drachma
Shortbow= 30 drachma

Armour
The Greeks recognised the division of combat protection into light, medium and heavy and there was a single type of Greek armour for each category.

Heavy Armour (Hoplites)
The combatant wears an expensive bronze breastplate as well as a crested Corinthian helm that protects the nose, cheeks and neck. His legs are protected by bronze greaves and his forearms by bronze vambraces.

Cost 1300 drachma
Armour Bonus +5
DR=1d6
Max Dex Bonus +0
Armour Check Penalty -6
Speed 20ft*
Weight 40lb
Donning 5 minutes

Medium Armour (Auxiliary troops, mercenaries, poorer city states)
The warrior wears a corselet of white stiffened linen with shoulder straps and a skirt of tough linen strips (pteruges). He continues to wears greaves on his legs and a Corinthian helm.

Cost 600 drachma
Armour Bonus +3
DR= 1d4
Max Dex Bonus +3
Armour Check Penalty -4
Speed (30ft) 20ft
Weight 30lb
Donning 5 minutes

Light Armour (Peltasts, skrimishers)
This armor was usually used by skirmishers or peltasts. They were meant to get out of the way before being hit by heavily armed troops. The combatant has no greaves or vambraces and has abandoned encumbering body armour. Instead he wears only a metal helmet. Though wicker shields are also commonly carried. They usually only fight with ranged weapons.
Cost 15 drachma
Armour Bonus +1
DR=1
Max Dex Bonus +8
Armour Check Penalty 0
Speed (30ft) 30ft
Weight 3lb
Donning 1 round

Shields
Two types of shield are very common in Greece, the small leather-covered wicker shield called the pelta, and the large wooden shield covered with bronze called the hoplon. The hoplon is used by hoplites and the pelta used by skirmishers and peltasts.
Shield, small (wicker/wood) (pelta)
Cost 3 gp, Armour Bonus +2, Armour Check Penalty -1Weight 5lb

Shield, large ( Wooden- bronze covered) (Hoplon)
Cost 20 gp, Armour Bonus +2, Armour Check Penalty -2, Weight 15lb

The following items of equipment from the Players Handbook are not found in the Greek world:

Backpack
Barrel
Bottle
Flint & Steel
Lantern
Mirror, Small Steel
Mug
Paper
Piton
Ram
Rope, Silk
Sledge
Soap
Spyglass
Climber's Kit
Disguise Kit
Magnifying Glass
Water Clock
Monk's Outfit
Ale
Barding
Dog, Riding
War Pony
Saddle, Exotic
Sled

However, the following items are added to the equipment lists:

Shoulder Bag 1drachma, 1lb
Amphora 2 drachma, 30 lb = Two handed jar with a narrow neck.
Olives 2/10 drachma, 1/2lb
Honey 1/10 drachma, 1/2lb
Fish Cakes 1/10 drachma , 1/2lb
Flint & Tinder 1/10 drachma,

Making a character
First choose a class from below

Fighter
A fighter has put the emphasis of his training on martial combat. Though every male under goes combat training these people excel. Keep in mind that fighters do not solely focus on combat. Many pursue other interests. Athens has had quite a few warrior poets in the past.

HP: 10 +con mod

Skills: A fighter may choose any skills from the PHB and apply his points to them as he wishes
Skill points at first level are 8+ int mod x4
Skill points at each additional level are 8+int mod

Weapon and Armor Proficiency: See PHB page 36
For BAB, save, and feat progression: See PHB page 36
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Expert
What experts lack in martial abilities, they make up for in skill. An Expert has spent his time in study or perfecting some craft. Blacksmiths, architects, poets, teachers, writers, historians and skilled politicians are experts.

HP: 10+con Mod

Skills: An Expert may choose any available skill from the PHB and apply his points to them as he wishes.
Skill points at first level are 15+ int mod x4
Skill points at each additional level are 15+int mod

Weapon and Armor Proficiency: See DMG page 39
For BAB, save, and feat progression: See DMG page 36
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
After picking your class start filling in your sheet. Select your skills from PHB pgs 63-76 and distribute points. Remember that the heal skill is important.
Skills you cannot take are:
Intuit direction ,Knowledge: Arcana ,Knowledge: The planes ,Scry ,Use Magic Device, Spellcraft,

Ability stats: Each stat starts at 8 and you have 28 additional points to do with whatever you like. No stat can be higher than 18. Look on page 8 table 1-1 for stat modifiers.

Feats. Each character starts with one feat and gain a feat every three levels. Note that Fighters gain an additional feat at first level as seen on PHB pg 36. Feats are listed on PHB pgs 80-86 Feats you cannot take are:
Brew potion, combat casting, craft magic arms and armor, craft rod, craft staff, craft wand, craft wonderous item, empower spell, enlarge spell, exotic weapon proficiency, extend spell, extra turning, forge ring, Heighten spell, improved two weapon fighting, maximize spell, quicken spell, scribe scroll, silent spell, spell focus, spell masters, spell penetration, still spell, Toughness, two weapon fighting, Whirlwind Attack.

Pick a job off the list and then select equipment that your character would have reason to own.

Coinage
As in D&D the standard coin is a silver piece, called, in Greece, a drachma.
1 gold piece = 1 silver drachma=1 dollar

Weapons
The weapon of choice is the 2-3m longspear, useable one handed (making it a Medium weapon not a Large one) and weighing only 3 lb. It is cheap, dangerous and nasty. By contrast the humble shortsword is a sidearm, a second-rate weapon used as a last ditch measure. Likewise shields are very popular, almost a required piece of kit.

The available Simple Weapons are:
Dagger=1 drachma
Sickle= 6 drachma
Club= Free
Quarterstaff (bakterion) =1 drachma or self made
Shortspear= 2 drachma
Sling=1 drachma
Javelin= 1 drachma

The available Martial Weapons are:
Handaxe=6 drachma
Shortsword= 10 drahma
Longspear= 5 drachma
Shortbow= 30 drachma

Armour
The Greeks recognised the division of combat protection into light, medium and heavy and there was a single type of Greek armour for each category.

Heavy Armour (Hoplites)
The combatant wears an expensive bronze breastplate as well as a crested Corinthian helm that protects the nose, cheeks and neck. His legs are protected by bronze greaves and his forearms by bronze vambraces.

Cost 1300 drachma
Armour Bonus +5
DR=1d6
Max Dex Bonus +0
Armour Check Penalty -6
Speed 20ft*
Weight 40lb
Donning 5 minutes

Medium Armour (Auxiliary troops, mercenaries, poorer city states)
The warrior wears a corselet of white stiffened linen with shoulder straps and a skirt of tough linen strips (pteruges). He continues to wears greaves on his legs and a Corinthian helm.

Cost 600 drachma
Armour Bonus +3
DR= 1d4
Max Dex Bonus +3
Armour Check Penalty -4
Speed (30ft) 20ft
Weight 30lb
Donning 5 minutes

Light Armour (Peltasts, skrimishers)
This armor was usually used by skirmishers or peltasts. They were meant to get out of the way before being hit by heavily armed troops. The combatant has no greaves or vambraces and has abandoned encumbering body armour. Instead he wears only a metal helmet. Though wicker shields are also commonly carried. They usually only fight with ranged weapons.
Cost 15 drachma
Armour Bonus +1
DR=1
Max Dex Bonus +8
Armour Check Penalty 0
Speed (30ft) 30ft
Weight 3lb
Donning 1 round

Shields
Two types of shield are very common in Greece, the small leather-covered wicker shield called the pelta, and the large wooden shield covered with bronze called the hoplon. The hoplon is used by hoplites and the pelta used by skirmishers and peltasts.
Shield, small (wicker/wood) (pelta)
Cost 3 gp, Armour Bonus +2, Armour Check Penalty -1Weight 5lb

Shield, large ( Wooden- bronze covered) (Hoplon)
Cost 20 gp, Armour Bonus +2, Armour Check Penalty -2, Weight 15lb

The following items of equipment from the Players Handbook are not found in the Greek world:

Backpack, Barrel, Bottle, Flint & Steel, Lantern, Mirror-Small Steel, Mug, Paper, Piton, Rope-Silk, Sledge, Soap, Spyglass, Climber's Kit, Disguise Kit Magnifying Glass, Water Clock, Monk's Outfit, Ale, Barding, Dog-Riding, War Pony , Saddle-Exotic
Sled

However, the following items are added to the equipment lists:

Shoulder Bag 1drachma, 1lb
Amphora 2 drachma, 30 lb = Two handed jar with a narrow neck.
Olives 2/10 drachma, 1/2lb
Honey 1/10 drachma, 1/2lb
Fish Cakes 1/10 drachma , 1/2lb
Flint & Tinder 1/10 drachma, *

Note:

1. I was using some slightly altered D20 mechanics namly the addiction of damage reduction and a lessening of AC.
2. Some of this info was taken from someone doing another Greece campaign but I can't recall who.

Last edited:

fusangite

First Post
My question: which ancient Greece?
(a) the Greece of the Iliad
(b) Minoan Greece
(c) Mycenaean Greece
(d) Early Classical Greece (Athenian)
(e) Late Classical Greece (Alexandrian)
(f) Roman Greece
(g) a fictional ancient Greece that put all of these things in the same era

ColonelHardisson

What? Me Worry?
fusangite said:
My question: which ancient Greece?
(a) the Greece of the Iliad
(b) Minoan Greece
(c) Mycenaean Greece
(d) Early Classical Greece (Athenian)
(e) Late Classical Greece (Alexandrian)
(f) Roman Greece
(g) a fictional ancient Greece that put all of these things in the same era

Does it really matter? I think any or all info would be useful.

fusangite

First Post
ColonelHardisson said:

Does it really matter? I think any or all info would be useful.

One is dealing with radically different worldviews comparing these civilizations; the rich polytheism of Homeric Greece is radically different that the worldview of the Athenian age. If one focuses on the Minoan world, one could go off on a very interesting Chalice and the Blade tangent. While in terms of technology and geography these ages might be similar, the differences in culture, religion and worldview are radically different.

Remove ads