Can 2 user accounts be used on the same computer?

reapersaurus

First Post
I had no problems with logging in until my wife (Tory Adore) tried to log in using this computer.

Now it will not keep us logged in more than a few clicks before making us log in again.

Piratecat (or anyone)- has anyone gotten multiple accounts to be used successfully on the new boards and new address (enworld.org/forums)?

Also - what is the exact name of the cookie that enworld uses? I can't find it in my Cookies folder or my Temp Internet Files folder(s). I'd rather delete just that cookie if I can find it, instead of all cookies. It's been a pain having to re-login everywhere... :(

BSF

Explorer
I am assuming that you are using IE with a Windows-based OS?

If so, you might have some problems. IE really wants to store all of your info in your user profile. Most people at home do not setup multiple users for the same machine.

Darkness

Hand and Eye of Piratecat [Moderator]
reapersaurus said:
Also - what is the exact name of the cookie that enworld uses? I can't find it in my Cookies folder or my Temp Internet Files folder(s). I'd rather delete just that cookie if I can find it, instead of all cookies. It's been a pain having to re-login everywhere... :(
Let me check. Seems to be: (yourname)@enworld[1]

Djeta Thernadier

First Post
I'm not sure if I'm reading this right, but MojoGM and I are both able to sign on and post on ENWorld from either my computer or his. We are networked together though, so maybe that makes a difference.

reapersaurus

First Post
I'm sorry, I'll try to be very specific for clarity.

My wife is trying to use her account on the same computer that I'm using.
I've got Windows 98 and IE 6 (latest patches).
I am using the enworld.org/forums address, and never touch cyberstreet anymore.

I've located the cookie and removed them, but when i log in with either account, it keeps logging us off.

We did not have this problem with the old boards, so I'd conclude that it is not a Win98 or IE problem.

Steverooo

First Post
reapersaurus said:
I'm sorry, I'll try to be very specific for clarity.

My wife is trying to use her account on the same computer that I'm using.
I've got Windows 98 and IE 6 (latest patches).
I am using the enworld.org/forums address, and never touch cyberstreet anymore.

I've located the cookie and removed them, but when i log in with either account, it keeps logging us off.

We did not have this problem with the old boards, so I'd conclude that it is not a Win98 or IE problem.

Possibly it is a security settings problem? If you generally do NOT accept cookies, except from Trusted Sites, and had ENWorld.Cyberstreet.com as one of'em, then it would accept the cookies from there, but not from here, unless you've updated your Trusted Sites list...

If that made no sense, then it isn't your problem! ;p

reapersaurus

First Post
G__ D___ this is pissing me off!

Gah - it's SO frustrating having to log in every time I want to post - talk about destroying the useability and functionality and ease of a site.

I just added enworld.org to the approved cookies sites, but my security settings were pretty low as they were, and it didn't fix the problem.

But that was a very insightful guess.

Anyone else have any ideas OR experiences with this?
Is it true that noone uses 2 accounts on the same computer?

madriel

First Post
Holy Bovine and I use the same computer. When we had Win 98 as our OS, I only had to log him off and log myself in at the start of the session. We've been using WinXP for a few months now, but we're both logged in permanently under our own user profiles.

reapersaurus

First Post
bump.
and that's probably right, that WinXP Home edition's Fast User Switching would be helpful, but WinXP Home is not exactly "the answer" in my case (if one knows about the OS).

I'd expect that this version of software is compatible with Windows98 - I fail to believe that the designers would purposely ignore a signficant portion of the world's systems like that.... ?

Henry

Autoexreginated
I do know I've had login problems when I clicked on some old links in sigs (such as jonrog1's story hour links). Old links with cyberstreet in them are still a problem on the boards.

However, in your particular instance, I don't have anything helpful. I have one alternate account here, and have no problems switching back and forth.

Remove ads