Can a bonded mount breed with a normal horse?

Fenes 2

First Post
Recently the question came up in one of our campaigns if a bonded mount (light warhorse) could breed with a normal warhorse. What do you think about it? In the MM I (p. 5) magical beasts are described as "Similar to beasts" but having "supernatural or extraordinary abilities", but more than that I did not find.

So far we have ruled that magical beasts and normal animals of the same type can mate, but the jury is still out on wether some offspring may come of it or not.

What do you think?

In the case of mounts and familiars, I say sure, why not. Mind you, the special qualities are not genetic, so they wouldn't be passed on. You'd end up, for instance, with a normal colt. It's the divine essense infused into the bonded mount that makes it special, not some quirk of heredity.

d12

First Post
I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say that your DM should just use his or her best judgement on this one.

Green Knight

First Post
Considering that Celestials and Fiends can mate with humans and have Half-Celestials and Half-Fiends, orcs and humans can have half-orcs, and elves and humans can have half-elves, I think it's safe to say that a bonded mount can mate with an unbonded member of its race.

If I were making the decision, I would probably have the resulting colt be an exceptional, but non-magical animal. An unusually intelligent or loyal warhorse, perhaps. Or maybe a prize racehorse, if it were the proper breed.

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
maybe they can, and maybe they can't, but i'm sure they'll try if you give em a chance. ;)

Fenes 2

First Post
To quote our paladin, when her bonded mount saw a magnificent stallion: "I sure wish ther wasn't an emphatic link betwen us right now."

Krug

Newshound
Fenes 2 said:
To quote our paladin, when her bonded mount saw a magnificent stallion: "I sure wish ther wasn't an emphatic link betwen us right now."

And after that?
"These mounts have supernatural abilities they never tell you about!"

Remove ads