D&D 5E Can a Paladin Cure Addiction?

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Apparently you missed this part.

You can ignore the overwhelming evidence that diseases have DC and/or are contagious. Nothing is stopping you. :)
Addiction would have a DC. 🤷‍♂️

But also, there is no overwhelming evidence, there are just examples. Without a definition, they remain nothing more than examples.

MGibster

Legend
This is one of those weird threads where people are really taking things pretty personally. And it's really weird because I can't think of a single time in more than thirty years of gaming that this has come up in any D&D session I've participated in. (Yeah. Yeah. Insert caveat about me not being the Alpha and the Omega of gaming here.)

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
More than a dozen examples spread throughout the books. 100% with DCs and most of which are contagious. 0 examples of anything even remotely close to the OP. That's overwhelming evidence against.

And we can say the same about the real world—many, if not most, diseases are contagous. However, that doesn't preclude those (that we know to exist) that are not. :/
You don’t get to decide what’s relevant.
Jesus goddamn Christ on a pogo stick blowing the Buddha.

You'd think that it would be more sensible to go through the DMG and all the monster sourcebooks, see that all the examples of disease given involve CON saving throws and physical effects ranging from status effects to HP loss to HP max reduction to disadvantage on ability checks to gaining levels of exhaustion to having a Slaad tadpole eat its way out of your chest, and that purely mental effects are relegated to the realm of madness, charm effects, and fear effects no matter their relation to real-world counterparts of those things, and use those existing trends to draw an inference from there; than to engage in pointless pedantry and wringing your hands over definition of terms.

You'd also think that a thread focused on speculating on how to model mental illness in 5e would focus on 5e, not go in real-world tangents that just might not be relevant to 5e game design.

Honestly at this point, it seems that you've gone from honestly speculating on whether Lay on Hands applies to mental illness as well as diseases with physical components within the constraints of 5e's game design, to insisting that Lay on Hands is a panacea that solves any and every problem while telling the Restoration spell family and Remove Curse to go take a hike.

I mean, you said it yourself:
And I don’t really care about the restoration spells, here. They aren’t the topic.
Even though they're a better fit for the kind of problems you're speculating on rather than the Lay on Hands feature. It's like you're speculating on whether a screwdriver can effectively drive a nail even while somebody next to you is showing off their collection of hammers.

Remove ads