D&D 5E Can an Arcane Trickster change a cantrip as his spell to change when he gains a level?

ECMO3

Hero
"Whenever you gain a level in this class, you can replace one of the wizard spells you know with another spell of your choice from the wizard spell list. The new spell must be of a level for which you have spell slots, and it must be an enchantment or illusion spell, unless you're replacing the spell you gained at 3rd, 8th, 14th, or 20th level from any school of magic."

RAI it appears this is talking about leveled spells not cantrips, but RAW cantrips are spells and you get your cantrips at 3rd level, meaning the requirement for illusions or enchantments would not apply either.

Would you allow it?

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
All I see is that you gain another cantrip at 10th level. Now I would likely allow it at my table, but not sure how many cantrips are enchantment or illusion.
I believe ECMO is trying to replace a cantrip (which is technically “a wizard spell [they] know”) with another wizard spell that is not a cantrip when they gain a level in the class.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
I don’t know, which is the problem. It might be fine, but it might cause unforeseen issues. And since it seems counter to the design intent as well as the wording I’d rather just not allow it, personally. That’s just me though.
The game is robust enough to survive a little imbalance. They still only get so many spells to cast a day. A little more variety up top isn't going to break things. :)

Remove ads