• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Can Anyone Help Me Find This Necro-Harem Scenario?

khantroll

Explorer
Clip: I knew it wasn't the Book of Erotic Fantasy, but I decided to take a look at it anyway since one of my players came over and he had it. Better book then I thought from the title, and a lot to be gleaned for this sort of adventure.

Humble: It's Dungeon 95, just FYI. I took a look at it, and while it isn't what I was looking for it covers the same ground to the same effect. In fact, it may be easier t replace a few scenes with some undead to keep the same hook and use the rest then to work the original idea into the campaign. Thanks for the tip!

Frost: Good ideas, but no cigar. I've had booth books for a while, but while I used Hollowfaust pretty extensively in the last campaign, I hadn't really touched Shelizar. I knew it was a sin city (kinda funny considering I got it in a bargain bin in Vegas).

Anyway, more ideas, but not the source. One thing all of this is showing me, though: letting this be the quick morality tale I had in mind would be a serious waste! There is so much material to be mined from these suggestions, and without this thread it never would have occurred to me to put it all together.

If anybody else has any ideas about the Necro-Harem source, though, I'd still love to find out. Not being able to remember is bugging the hell out of me.

P.S. Still open to other adventure suggestions for desert campaigns. Already did AoW and Necropolis with the group though :( .

13garth13

First Post
Joe Lansdale's short story "On the Far Side of the Cadillac Desert With The Dead Folks" (by the way, I'm sure that's not the exact title....I'm too lazy to go to my bookshelf and look it up) had an almost identical concept (including jaws being wired shut, etc to prevent biting the customers) but it took place in a post-apocalyptic era rather than a fantasy one. Aaaaaaaand I suspect it went into a little more gruesome detail than you might want ;-)

Cheers,
Colin

Mikaze

First Post
Joe Lansdale's short story "On the Far Side of the Cadillac Desert With The Dead Folks" (by the way, I'm sure that's not the exact title....I'm too lazy to go to my bookshelf and look it up) had an almost identical concept (including jaws being wired shut, etc to prevent biting the customers) but it took place in a post-apocalyptic era rather than a fantasy one. Aaaaaaaand I suspect it went into a little more gruesome detail than you might want ;-)

Cheers,
Colin

Cripes...I've only read the comic adaptation.

If it was true to the original story, all anyone gets up to "onscreen" is slow dancing with them. Lonely folks just when into the bar to dance and have "company" while they waited to die. But the implications...

Yeah, that whole story was a cheerful jaunt through Sunshine and Lollipops Land.

Good ol' Lansdale.

khantroll

Explorer
No on the V:TM. Never played it enough for anything to stick.

There is a short story in the anthology for All Flesh Must Be Eaten that deals with themes similar to the Lansdale story. Not quite the same thing as what I'm trying to remember, but good fodder.

I didn't know Joe Lansdale did anything but Jonah Hex, and after having just read the story I'm not sure if that was a good thing or a bad thing...

I can't shake the feeling that this is 2E, though that may have to do more with how long it has been since I've seen it. When I get home, I'll flip through the villain books and see if it is one of them. If I find it I'll let you know.

grodog

Hero
If anybody else has any ideas about the Necro-Harem source, though, I'd still love to find out. Not being able to remember is bugging the hell out of me.

FWIW, the adventure you describe doesn't sound like anything I've read or read about before, and it doesn't sound like something that would have been published by WotC or Paizo---the subject matter is definitely too taboo for WotC, and probably for many third-party publishers too.

P.S. Still open to other adventure suggestions for desert campaigns. Already did AoW and Necropolis with the group though :( .

Other good 1e-era desert modules include:

- The Desert Nomads series (X4, X5, X10)
- C2 Ghost Tower of Inverness
- I9 The Day of Al'Akbar
- CB2 Against Darkness (a Conan vs. Thoth Amon in Stygia/Egypt module)
- UK6 All That Glitters - an under-rated module that I've used several times in Greyhawk variously in the mountain chains that separate Ull, the Dry Steppes, and the Sea of Dust from the rest of the Flanaess

Some FR desert-related sourcebooks may prove useful/inspirational too: FR3 Empires of the Sands and FR13 Anauroch; and WGR3 Rary the Traitor may also prove inspirational too.

The Desert of Desolation (I3-5) is also set in a desert, of course, but it's not really my cup of tea: a bit too plot-heavy/railroady for my tastes. Some of the sites and locations are pretty good, though, and worth harvesting for insertion elsewhere.

khantroll

Explorer
Grodog, I completely forgot about Inverness or Al'Akbar. Fantastic suggestions. Personally, I'm not a fan of Against The Darkness (not really a fan of anything Conan), though. I've never heard of UK6, but I can google and see if I dig the premise. If so, I can try to find a copy for my collection. May do that anyway ;)

I know it isn't Paizo, and probably not WotC. I thought it might have been TSR, having spent a couple days trolling through most of my 2E archive I have no idea. All I know is that it is that I have seen it in print before, some time in the last five years. Which could have been a long time after it was published, given the nature of my collection.

To clarify though, this isn't a full-blown module I'm looking for. It's in some book of related material (which is why I thought it was the Complete Necromancer Handbook or Wizard's Handbook at first), and it lists a more detailed scenario then what I gave in my first post, along with suggestions about material in the rest of the book (i think--could be just scenario). The description in the book is tame, and I figure it is that way to allow it to be as clean/gory as the gamer wishes. I mean, I could play it as slave girls with a necromancer and clientele who are interested in preserving beauty and still be within the confines of the description in the Unknown Book. It doesn't even mention murder, just "zombies". Or, I could go all out and make it Porphyry House/Lansdale/AFMBE/Haekel's Tale. Whatever works ;)

To be fair, I also have/had some small press books from...

Holy cow. As I write this, I may have remembered where it could be from, and why nobody has heard of it. I was going to write the following "To be fair, I also have/had some small press books from from that time or a little earlier, and I just had the bad luck that most of them were destroyed." As I was typing it, I realized it could have been one of those books. I was pretty fond of them at the time.

Does anyone have a copy of a book called "Librum Mortis"? If any one does, would they mind checking it for me?

That might not be it, but it is the one of those books that I lost that springs to mind. I'm going to try to find a copy of my inventory from back then (long shot, but hey, that's what those record archives are for) and see if I can remember any of them.

Last edited:

Jhaelen

First Post
I know it isn't Paizo, and probably not WotC. I thought it might have been TSR, having spent a couple days trolling through most of my 2E archive I have no idea. All I know is that it is that I have seen it in print before, some time in the last five years. Which could have been a long time after it was published, given the nature of my collection.

To clarify though, this isn't a full-blown module I'm looking for. It's in some book of related material (which is why I thought it was the Complete Necromancer Handbook or Wizard's Handbook at first), and it lists a more detailed scenario then what I gave in my first post, along with suggestions about material in the rest of the book (i think--could be just scenario). The description in the book is tame, and I figure it is that way to allow it to be as clean/gory as the gamer wishes. I mean, I could play it as slave girls with a necromancer and clientele who are interested in preserving beauty and still be within the confines of the description in the Unknown Book. It doesn't even mention murder, just "zombies". Or, I could go all out and make it Porphyry House/Lansdale/AFMBE/Haekel's Tale. Whatever works ;)
Could it be in the Al-Qadim box 'Cities of Bone'?
I remember reading about a ruin/city set in a jungle populated by undead, covered by illusions to look like living people. I think it also featured a harem.

If it's not in the Cities of Bone box, it might be in an adventure collection I own - it included about 15 short scenarios.

haus48

Explorer
The adventure Caravans (TSR) for al-Qadim deals with the players going to find and rescue a merchants true love (Sita) that has been turned into a ghul. It is not exactly the same adventure hook that you are talking about but you could adjust it to fit without too much effort.

Remove ads