can bards use wands?

ShadowMaster

First Post
Hi,

The rule for using a wand is that the spell must be on the spell list of the character. Actually, cure light wound is on the bard list as a 1st level spell, a level 2 bard can have this spell. But can I buy a 750 gp wand of cure light wound and use it without the use of use magical device or I must buy a 1500 gp wand ?

If you read the rule for using a wand in the DM guide, a bard can use a 750 gp...

Anyone can tell me if I'm wrong ?

Thank !

Zontag

First Post
ShadowMaster said:
Hi,

The rule for using a wand is that the spell must be on the spell list of the character. Actually, cure light wound is on the bard list as a 1st level spell, a level 2 bard can have this spell. But can I buy a 750 gp wand of cure light wound and use it without the use of use magical device or I must buy a 1500 gp wand ?

If you read the rule for using a wand in the DM guide, a bard can use a 750 gp...

Anyone can tell me if I'm wrong ?

Thank !

Nope you're absolutely right. If a spell is on a character's spell list he can use any wand or scroll which contains that spell.

youspoonybard

First Post
Not sure about wands, but I know there are Divine and Arcane scrolls, and the scroll must be of the correct type.

So a bard could use an Arcane scroll of CLW, made by another bard, but not a Divine one made by a cleric.

bensei

First Post
But for wands, IIRC, there is no distinction between arcane and divine. So a bard can use a cleric's wand of Cure Light Wounds.

MerakSpielman said:
Not only that, but they can use wands before they're high enough level to actually cast the spells personally. This is a convenient loophole at times.
If I recall correctly, this loophole was closed in 3.5 .

Mustrum Ridcully

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Mustrum_Ridcully said:
If I recall correctly, this loophole was closed in 3.5.

From the 3.5 SRD:

"Anyone with a spell on his or her spell list knows how to use a spell trigger item that stores that spell. (This is the case even for a character who can’t actually cast spells, such as a 3rd-level paladin.)"

-Hyp.

dagger

Adventurer
We don’t consider it a loophole, and from looking at the 3.5 SRD I believe it was meant to be that way.

We like the rule as is, helps out the party when they don't have a cleric around to heal all the time.

Remove ads