• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

can bards use wands?

ShadowMaster

First Post
Hi,

The rule for using a wand is that the spell must be on the spell list of the character. Actually, cure light wound is on the bard list as a 1st level spell, a level 2 bard can have this spell. But can I buy a 750 gp wand of cure light wound and use it without the use of use magical device or I must buy a 1500 gp wand ?

If you read the rule for using a wand in the DM guide, a bard can use a 750 gp...

Anyone can tell me if I'm wrong ?

Thank !

Zontag

First Post
ShadowMaster said:
Hi,

The rule for using a wand is that the spell must be on the spell list of the character. Actually, cure light wound is on the bard list as a 1st level spell, a level 2 bard can have this spell. But can I buy a 750 gp wand of cure light wound and use it without the use of use magical device or I must buy a 1500 gp wand ?

If you read the rule for using a wand in the DM guide, a bard can use a 750 gp...

Anyone can tell me if I'm wrong ?

Thank !

Nope you're absolutely right. If a spell is on a character's spell list he can use any wand or scroll which contains that spell.

youspoonybard

First Post
Not sure about wands, but I know there are Divine and Arcane scrolls, and the scroll must be of the correct type.

So a bard could use an Arcane scroll of CLW, made by another bard, but not a Divine one made by a cleric.

bensei

First Post
But for wands, IIRC, there is no distinction between arcane and divine. So a bard can use a cleric's wand of Cure Light Wounds.

MerakSpielman said:
Not only that, but they can use wands before they're high enough level to actually cast the spells personally. This is a convenient loophole at times.
If I recall correctly, this loophole was closed in 3.5 .

Mustrum Ridcully

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Mustrum_Ridcully said:
If I recall correctly, this loophole was closed in 3.5.

From the 3.5 SRD:

"Anyone with a spell on his or her spell list knows how to use a spell trigger item that stores that spell. (This is the case even for a character who can’t actually cast spells, such as a 3rd-level paladin.)"

-Hyp.

dagger

Adventurer
We don’t consider it a loophole, and from looking at the 3.5 SRD I believe it was meant to be that way.

We like the rule as is, helps out the party when they don't have a cleric around to heal all the time.

Remove ads