Can Enlarge bust a door?

Barnacleez

First Post
I have a clever player who wants to use the Enlarge spell to cause a door to break.

1) Under what conditions, if any, will this work?

2) If the door has an Arcane Lock on it, will that make any difference?

Please cite book references, if any.

As always, I appreciate your interpretations.

gfunk

First Post
Well to quote from the SRD,

"All equipment worn or carried by a creature is enlarged by the spell. If insufficient room is available for the desired growth, the creature or object attains the maximum possible size, bursting weak enclosures in the process. However, it is constrained without harm by stronger materials—the spell cannot be used to crush a creature by growth."

It looks like you can't, but the last sentence mentions creatures only. I think it strongly implies objects as well, but that's just me. I would assume that the wall is stronger than the door, but that might not be the case ...

Xarlen

First Post
Hm. Since it would grow about 50% (caster level), it might.

Although, I think a reduce would be more effective.

Would Arcane Lock effect it? No. It's just a locking mechanism, used for doors. If it were Hold Portal, however...

Also, if either work, I think that any trap in association should go off.

Crothian

First Post
It would depend on the trap, I'd think. But anyway, I think the door would grow until it totally filled the doorway, might jam in in there more. But it would not grow beyond that.

Cloudgatherer

First Post
Since you can cast it on an object and since you can't crush a creature with the spell, the door would grow till it *completely* fills up the doorway (maybe an inch each dimension?).

I'd say reduce would be better too.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
I would assume that the wall is stronger than the door, but that might not be the case ...

The alternative would be enlarging the hinges, causing them to splinter the wood of the door, perhaps?

Or hammer a wedge of some sort into place and enlarge that.

-Hyp.

RigaMortus

Explorer
Are you allowed to cast this on attended objects? If not, I don't think you can cast it on the hinges. Can you cast this on say, a knight's armor but not the knight, so that it is too awkward to move in? If your Fighter friends shots an orc with an arrow, can you cast Enlarge on the arrow so that it enlarges while it is stuck in the orc's stomach?

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Are you allowed to cast this on attended objects?

It doesn't say you can't - but they'd get a Fort save with the save bonus of the attending creature.

If not, I don't think you can cast it on the hinges.

Uh... a door can't "attend" anything... :-\ It's an object too.

Can you cast this on say, a knight's armor but not the knight, so that it is too awkward to move in? If your Fighter friends shots an orc with an arrow, can you cast Enlarge on the arrow so that it enlarges while it is stuck in the orc's stomach?

The armor - I'd say yes. The arrow - there's no game mechanic for stating whether the arrow is stuck in the orc or not. It deals damage, it's broken, it's no longer an issue.

But if it is somehow decided that there's an arrow stuck in the orc - I don't see why not. Though it would get a Fort save with the orc's bonus, as an attended object.

-Hyp.

Remove ads