D&D 5E Can I use a Bonus Action Spell and a Wand in the same Turn?

Oofta

Legend
Do you use the rules that have a set DC associated with the Wand? For example, Wand of Fireballs is fixed as a DC 15 save which makes it seem like the Wand is somehow involved in the casting more.

Since the item specifically states a DC, it's always a 15 (although I've debated changing that). Everything else is applied as if the PC were casting the spell in my campaign. So a high level evoker gets to add their int mod to damage, etc.

On the other hand a Wand of Fear is just "use an action" to get the result based on how many charges you use, so the PC is not casting the spell. Nothing the caster has affects it.

the Jester

Legend
If you say that casting a spell from a wand or a scroll is the same as casting it directly, can you then use things like metamagic on it? Or if you have the Elemental Adept feat, does it apply to it? Or does Rod of the Pact Keeper influence the spell DC?

>snip<

...How have other people been playing it?

First, I do indeed say that casting from a wand is (roughly) the same as casting it directly. So yes, you can use metamagic, apply feats, etc. If you have that RotPK in hand, then yes, it will influence the spell.

The wand is involved in the casting, but you still cast the spell yourself.

Remove ads