D&D 5E Can I use a Bonus Action Spell and a Wand in the same Turn?

I know that my wizard can only cast a 1-action cantrip if they use a bonus action spell in a turn (Action Surge not withstanding). However can I use a bonus action spell and a wand in the same turn? Many wands say something like ... "use an action to expend one of it's charges to cast the (whatever) spell from it". This sounds like the action I'm using is to expend a charge and the wand ('it') is casting the spell. Are there any clarifications on this? Thanks!

I know that my wizard can only cast a 1-action cantrip if they use a bonus action spell in a turn (Action Surge not withstanding). However can I use a bonus action spell and a wand in the same turn? Many wands say something like ... "use an action to expend one of it's charges to cast the (whatever) spell from it". This sounds like the action I'm using is to expend a charge and the wand ('it') is casting the spell. Are there any clarifications on this? Thanks!

At a glance I would say yes. Use your action for the 'use an item action' and then your bonus to cast (a bonus action spell or a quickened spell).

Youre not casting two spells in the one turn.

Celtavian

Dragon Lord
The wand specifically says you "cast the fireball spell", so no bonus action to cast anything but a cantrip. 5E has plain language that should be followed when it is clear. Magic items still cast spells unless they state otherwise meaning the rules for casting still apply including the limitation on casting a cantrip on the same round you cast another spell with a bonus action. If you use a bonus action to cast a spell, you can't use the wand to cast fireball[/] with your action.

Celtavian

Dragon Lord
At a glance I would say yes. Use your action for the 'use an item action' and then your bonus to cast (a bonus action spell or a quickened spell).

Youre not casting two spells in the one turn.

Items aren't necessarily the Use an Item Action. If the item says "casts a spell", then it's the cast a spell action. Usually items tell you what kind of action they require and they are not all Use an Item, most aren't I don't believe.

Using magic items does not use the Use an Item action, and the items themselves say what the action is. In the case of wands, you use your action to cast the spell. So I'd rule using a wand is like casting a spell normally, and thus the maximum is in place.

Li Shenron

Legend
The RAW might be not so clear but I have the strong feeling that the RAI is that you should almost never be able to cast 2 non-cantrip spells in the same round.

We know there's one exception with Action Surge, but it's only ever max 2/day and it requires to be a multiclassed character.

If wands had finite charges like in the past, I don't think it would be a problem to allow 2 spells per round since you'll deplete the wand, but in 5e they recharge each day, so it might be too good too often.

Celtavian

Dragon Lord
The RAW might be not so clear but I have the strong feeling that the RAI is that you should almost never be able to cast 2 non-cantrip spells in the same round.

We know there's one exception with Action Surge, but it's only ever max 2/day and it requires to be a multiclassed character.

If wands had finite charges like in the past, I don't think it would be a problem to allow 2 spells per round since you'll deplete the wand, but in 5e they recharge each day, so it might be too good too often.

The RAW is very clear. The wand of fireballs states you cast the spell. That means all rules for casting apply and it uses the Cast a Spell Action. Magic items have very clear rules for their use in general.

Items aren't necessarily the Use an Item Action. If the item says "casts a spell", then it's the cast a spell action. Usually items tell you what kind of action they require and they are not all Use an Item, most aren't I don't believe.

If we were using the use an item action logic then no one could ever get additional attacks with a magic sword. A magic sword is a magic item, and if you use it with the 'use an action' action then you couldn't get other attacks because an off-hand attack or additional attacks require the attack action.

Silly isn't it?

The same logic applies to items that simply permit the user to cast a spell. Thus using the item in this manner takes the cast a spell action. The item may have other uses that do not require such an action.

Not all wands require the cast a spell action to operate. You could shoot a charge from a wand of paralysis, for example, and still cast a bonus action spell since operating the wand didn't require you to cast a spell.

Li Shenron

Legend

From the DMG p.141 it looks like NONE of them ever use the Use an Item action

I think we can safely assume that action = cast a spell action, when the item says it requires an "action" and it in fact lets you cast a spell. However the general section at DMG p.141 also says that you should use a spell's normal casting time...

seebs

Adventurer

Hmm. I'd like to see a citation for the action being the same, because non-casters can use a wand, and don't have to provide material components or verbal components or somatic components. It doesn't look at all like the action-of-casting, even though it produces the same result.

Remove ads