• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Can I use Dimension Door to get out of a grapple

moritheil

First Post
MarkB said:
That's incorrect. It says you may bring along additional willing creatures - that puts the choice in the hands of the caster. If he decides not to bring someone along, they stay.

But that could also be read as "may" in the sense of "it may or may not occur."

SRD said:
Target: You and touched objects or other touched willing creatures

Now, is there a rule that states that someone always determines all targets for a spell he or she casts? That would resolve the issue nicely.

Machiavelli

First Post
If you're in the business of grappling casters on a regular basis, you should have the Mage Slayer feat. No more Dimension Door for the unfortunate caster, unless his/her Concentration check is phenominal :]

Evilhalfling

Adventurer
Ridley's Cohort said:
I can imagine monsters who would have the ability to maintain a grapple through a teleportation or other dimensional travelling effect, but that would be exotic even by the standards of D&D.

well not too exotic
BoVD and HoA
Bar-Laurga demon. (not sure if they have to pin or just grapple, but they can bring 1 unwilling medium sized creature with them when teleporting without error.

-My BBEGs use them for kidnapping and personal transport a the cost of a lesser planar ally.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
moritheil said:
Now, is there a rule that states that someone always determines all targets for a spell he or she casts? That would resolve the issue nicely.

Target or Targets: Some spells have a target or targets. You cast these spells on creatures or objects, as defined by the spell itself. You must be able to see or touch the target, and you must specifically choose that target. You do not have to select your target until you finish casting the spell.

-Hyp.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads