D&D 5E Can I use spell slots to cast Shadow Arts spells?

ECMO3

Hero
Shadow Monk Shadow Arts:

Starting when you choose this tradition at 3rd level, you can use your ki to duplicate the effects of certain spells. As an action, you can spend 2 ki points to cast Darkness, Darkvision, Pass without Trace or Silence, without providing material components. Additionally, you gain the Minor Illusion cantrip if you don't already know it.

If I have 2nd level spell slots form another class, can I use them to cast these spells. Under a strict interpretation of RAW I think the answer is no.

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
No.

However, the recent design move by WotC in Tasha's and other books is to allow you to use slots to cast spells you know or have prepared through other features.

For example:
1661613528834.png

So, I would certainly allow it given the direction the game is moving.

No. Not even post Tasha's, which lets you cast spells with slots if you know those spells.

The monk does not know any spells. They can "duplicate the effects of" certain spells.

Shadow Monk Shadow Arts:

Starting when you choose this tradition at 3rd level, you can use your ki to duplicate the effects of certain spells. As an action, you can spend 2 ki points to cast Darkness, Darkvision, Pass without Trace or Silence, without providing material components. Additionally, you gain the Minor Illusion cantrip if you don't already know it.

If I have 2nd level spell slots form another class, can I use them to cast these spells. Under a strict interpretation of RAW I think the answer is no.
Per RAW, no.

Depending on backstory, ask your DM. If your character is a monk/sorcerer, I could be persuaded.

Shiroiken

Legend
Definitely not RAW, and probably not RAI. However, it's unlikely this will break anything and it doesn't hurt to ask your DM (if it does, find a new DM immediately).

ECMO3

Hero
Per RAW, no.

Depending on backstory, ask your DM. If your character is a monk/sorcerer, I could be persuaded.
Character is in fact a Monk(Shadow)-Sorcerer(Shadow)-Ranger(Gloomstalker) currently 6/1/3, soon to be 6/1/4 at which point she will have 2nd level slots but no 2nd level spells and none of her 1st level spells upcast well (shield, silvery barbs, Absorb Elements, Goodberry, Ensnaring Strike, Speak with animals, Disguise self)

The DM and game are pretty strict RAW so I don't think he will let me.

My character has an 18 Dex, 16 Wisdom, 13 Charisma. I was going to take a dex ASI next level but maybe I could take shadow touched to pick up invisibility and cause fear. Cause fear does upcast quite well. I will be a little bit behind on dex if I did that, but it would set me up for either another Wisdom half feat or a Wis-Chr ASI at Monk 8.

Remove ads