• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Can leaders...do damage?

Thanee

First Post
In our P&P group we have Elf Cleric, Dragonborn Warlord, Dwarf Paladin, Dwarf Fighter and Elf Ranger.

The Paladin is the weakest in damage output, followed by the Cleric.

The Warlord is fine (STR 20 and using a Maul certainly helps), the Fighter is actually quite devastating (thanks to Bloodclaw Weapon and Power Attack) and the Ranger is obviously dealing a lot of damage, as he is supposed to.

Bye
Thanee

jbear

First Post
Well, only 2 of the leaders have splat books so far. I wonder when divine and primal power comes out this will be altered. I expect the Paladin will be given a decent upgrade, being the most leaderish defender.

In our last session the Bard dished out over 30 points of damage with her encounter power Blunder. 1d6+6 dmg plus an attack from the Barbarian that the enemy blundered past (with a big bonus to hit). With a slide 2 she could even use that power to get some terrain damge in the future (not the case this time). Not too shabby for lvl 3.

I think the cleric really comes into its own against undead. +5 or +10 radiant damage due to vulnerability. Turn Undead is pretty nice, especially as it doesn't damage allies, and especially if there is some nice terrain to push the undead into or off.

Ryujin

Legend
Clerics really don't come into their own, until there are undead on the field. A cleric that is tailored to fight undead can do some pretty big damage.

Clerics really don't come into their own, until there are undead on the field. A cleric that is tailored to fight undead can do some pretty big damage.
Tailored? Just by virtue of Turn Undead and having tons of radiant powers, undeads suffer in the presence of Clerics. ;)

Last edited:

Storminator

First Post
My STR cleric's damage is pretty modest. The best I have (level 4) is 1d12+6, tho I did get 37 with a crit last session.

Now that I've figured out how to play a leader, I pretty much don't worry about my own damage. Between Righteous Brand and healing, I've got a pretty solid shtick. So the occasional, and modest, damage spike I put up is OK.

PS

fba827

Adventurer
yes, leaders can do damage.
they will never do as much damage as a striker, but they can still do moderate damage (of course, it's all relative, what i consider moderate you may not).

but as with any _role_ the ability to function a certain way (in this case, damage output) depends on build as well, not just the role or class.

but damage isn't everything, they can do a lot of other stuff that (in my assessment) is equally valuable

anyway, that's all just my opinion based on experiences within my own group.

Some Quick Maths:
Dwarven Clerics can pump considerable damage.

Dwarven Cleric 1st level: Dwarven wep training w/ +1Maul
(18 str 14wis)
Righteous Brand
+7 +2d6 +7 dmg
Turns out to be avg dmg of 13dmg.

Human Brutal Rogue 1st level: Backstabber + wep prof Rapier +1 rapier
(20dex 14str)
Riposte Strike
+9 1d8+6 dmg
(adding in CA w/)
+9 +3d8+8
Avg dmg= 20

To Summarize
Avg difference between dwaven Cleric vs a typical human rogue
7 points of at will dmg. (most freq used attks)

The rogue hitting with the secondary part of ripsotle because of righeous brand.. Priceless!
Well, on avg 7more points of dmg but that rockzar!

Caliban

Rules Monkey
Well, you will never do as much as a good striker or optimized tempest fighter, but if you invest in the right feats and equipment you can do pretty well.

I have a minotaur bravura warlord who at 8th level wields a +2 vanguard bastard sword, Iron Armbands of Power, a Horned Helm, and wears +2 full plate and a heavy shield.

His feats are Scale Armor, Bastard Sword, Weapon Expertise, Heavy Shield, Plate Armor. 20 Str, 15 Con, 10 Dex, 14 Int, 8 Wis, 16 Cha

He uses Flattening Charge (+16 vs Fort, 1d10+1d8+1d6+9 and knock target prone), which isn't expended if he hit because he's a Bravura warlord. Once he misses with that he will use Provoke Overextension to do 2[W] damage, and force the target to attack him (his AC is 30 against the attack), and if they miss he gives an ally a basic attack. (If I do that to someone the fighter has marked, the fighter gets and attack because they attack me, and a 2nd attack if they miss me. )

Then I stop playing striker and focus on being a leader. ;)

Remove ads