Can my character have a pump action composite bow?

aramis erak

Legend
In reality, a pump action croasbow is what 5e d&d characters already have.

No one should be able to reload a crossbow and shoot within 6 seconds while dodging attacks.
Actually, it's not that hard for a light crossbow - I've done so, and don't have much training. (I've used crossbows in SCA wars in the 90's.) But it's only doable with light weight crossbows and reasonably strong folk. The advantage over a bow is ease of aim; a bow of same weight can be knocked and fired 2-4 times in the same time as reload, brace, and fire of the crossbow.

Actually, it's not that hard for a light crossbow - I've done so, and don't have much training. (I've used crossbows in SCA wars in the 90's.) But it's only doable with light weight crossbows and reasonably strong folk. The advantage over a bow is ease of aim; a bow of same weight can be knocked and fired 2-4 times in the same time as reload, brace, and fire of the crossbow.
Fair. But did you have someone in melee attacking you with an axe at the same time?

dragoner

KosmicRPG.com
I saw a show on the Chinese repeating crossbow a few years ago and it shot around 2 bolts/second. I forget how many bolts it held and the range was less than a regular crossbow. A few guys with these on a wall were amazing.
View attachment 116690

Yes, as usual, the Chinese have already invented it. :LOL:

There was a display of them at a museum in Indianapolis a few years back, they shot a solid metal light bolt, an individual one didn't look too deadly, then one thinks about hundreds or even thousands at close range and you get a "wall of steel" effect that modern machine guns do.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases