• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Can my Knight do this?

Prestidigitalis

First Post
I would go to this much trouble just to cover off the first round scenario you have described though.

I assume you intended a "not" in there somewhere.

The scenario above is just an extreme what-if about how the different features could be combined. Each of them has significant flavorful use on its own.

jbear

First Post
I would read the boots shift property to function multple times if you charge on a turn multiple times, as long as you do it before the end of that turn.

The amount of times that you are going to be able to pull off such a stunt (which is likely to draw at least a few opportunity attacks even with the shift of the boots) and which is also likely to draw the attention of a heard of ravenous monsters down upon yourself at your own peril would not phase me at all as your DM. Monster damage output is pretty threatening after the revision. Deliberately drawing every monster on the map down on yourself is brave at best. Some might say foolish. At least at the level I'm playing, monsters that focus fire can quickly bring a pc from full to dying in a single turn (lvl 7). Marking is a risky business on a large scale in my opinion.

I think I'd enjoy seeing an armoured dwarf charging around the battlefield, stepping on all the monsters toes, and catching his breath to defiantly say: 'Come and get me'

Dr_Ruminahui

First Post
I see what you are saying, and it's why I asked the question in the first place, but here is my interpretation:

1. you charge
2. is it before the end of your turn? YES, so you shift 1 square
3. action point, you charge
4. is it before the end of your turn? YES, so you shift 1 square

Whereas my interpretation is:

1. you charge.
2. have you charged? Yes. Have you shifted before the end of your turn? No. You can shift 1 square.
3. action point, you charge.
4. have you charged? Yes. Have you shifted before the end of your turn? Yes. You can't shift 1 square.

The property says that when you have charged, you can shift before the end of your turn - to me, this doesn't mean that you can shift twice if you charge twice - after all, it doesn't say "Each time your charged" or similar words.

That said, I admit it CAN be read either way, and would be happy playing it either way.

Prestidigitalis

First Post
The property says that when you have charged, you can shift before the end of your turn - to me, this doesn't mean that you can shift twice if you charge twice - after all, it doesn't say "Each time your charged" or similar words.

It also doesn't say "Once per turn, after charging, [...]", as many feats, powers, etc. often do.

BobTheNob

First Post
It also doesn't say "Once per turn, after charging, [...]", as many feats, powers, etc. often do.
Ninja'd!

Damn, was going to say exactly that.

"After charging, you can shift 1 square before your turn ends."

The "before end of turn" stipulation is how long you have before the ability to shift is withdrawn, it doesnt actually imply once per turn.

1. He charges. Tick
2. He shifts. Tick
3. spend action point. Tick
4. He charges. Tick
5. He shifts. Can He? Read the description. Description sais "after charge, before end of turn".

To be honest, my gut feel sais that it is only meant to be once per turn. The point about it NOT saying each time you charge is well received and probably not present because when it was being penned, they were not thinking about the fact that someone can charge twice per round by spending an AP...they were probably assuming it was possible to charge once per turn, so the once per turn stipulation is not required.

Wouldnt be the first time wording hasnt been 100%, otherwise there wouldnt be so much damned errata.

However, by RAW the current wording (and therefore the rules) does NOT restrict it to once per turn.

So, my interpretation
By RAW : Twice per Turn
By RAI : Once per turn

If this was my game, I would probably house rule once per turn and make it very clear to the player, but Im not your DM ;)

Either way, this is an interesting point. Im very interested to hear other input to it.

Nemesis Destiny

Adventurer
Another interesting synergy might be to use a human Knight and take Threatening Rush (marks all adjacent at the end of a charge, can be used in place of MBA for charging).

Not sure this would actually be any better than the warden mark though, since I don't think it grants the ability to retaliate in any meaningful way. Saves a feat though :)

Prestidigitalis

First Post
Another interesting synergy might be to use a human Knight and take Threatening Rush (marks all adjacent at the end of a charge, can be used in place of MBA for charging).

Not sure this would actually be any better than the warden mark though, since I don't think it grants the ability to retaliate in any meaningful way. Saves a feat though :)

I'm not looking for a way to mark. Marks actually mess up Defender Aura.

My logic went like this:

1. I want to do more damage with my Knight hammer MBAs
2. Oh look! Crippling Crush
3. Darn, that requires Warden
4. Hey, I'll just take Warden as my MC. I can always use the skill training
5. What can I do with a free multi-mark?
6. Presto charge-o, double charge-o

DracoSuave

First Post
Perfectly legal under any plausible interpretation:

Regardless of whether you use the PHB or the RC version of charge, the Boots' property is not an action, and is an added effect of the charge itself. Therefore it works. The Warden's mark is a free action, and you can use it as part of the charge action itself, at any time during the charge, because free actions do work like that, and the warden's mark does not preclude using it during other actions.

As for questions of when the boots are used? At the end of the charge. The boots even say so.

Dr_Ruminahui

First Post
I guess my only quibble is that both are "after charging"... it doesn't say that when you charge, you can do it, but that "after charging" you can. So, if you are in a state where you have charged earlier that turn, you can do that shift. If you haven't charged, you can't.

I don't think I'm explaining myself well...

It's like saying "after you go to the mall, I'll make you pizza today." You go to the mall twice today... you only get pizza once.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads