• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Can Objects Be Hidden?

Can Objects Be Hidden?

• Yes. Objects can be Hidden.

Votes: 71 89.9%
  • No. Objects cannot be Hidden.

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • Joke Answer. Insert LOLs here.

Votes: 7 8.9%

robus

Lowcountry Low Roller
Supporter
Yes of course objects can be hidden.

I think the real question is how does one determine how well an object is hidden? How does one figure out the difficulty of finding said object?

It's similar to disguising traps - what factors are used to determine how well a trap has been disguised?

One could be the skill of the person doing the hiding - a devious wizard type person? DC 25 perception check to get a hint that something is amiss.

A foolish goblin? DC 10 (or perhaps you just see something partially obscured :) ).

It would have been good for this to have been covered in trap discovery then the rules could have been expanded to cover hiding of all kinds of things...

iserith

Magic Wordsmith
The player describes what he or she wants to do. The DM decides if that is successful, fails, or is uncertain. If it's uncertain, the DM decides on a DC and an appropriate ability check. The ability check will be relative to the approach the player uses. A skill proficiency may or may not apply.

Those are the rules that apply to this situation. I would imagine in most cases, the DM just decides the character is successful unless there is some complicating factor.

cmad1977

Hero
The player describes what he or she wants to do. The DM decides if that is successful, fails, or is uncertain. If it's uncertain, the DM decides on a DC and an appropriate ability check. The ability check will be relative to the approach the player uses. A skill proficiency may or may not apply.

Those are the rules that apply to this situation. I would imagine in most cases, the DM just decides the character is successful unless there is some complicating factor.

BUT WHERE IS THE ROOL??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cmad1977

Hero
This had to be a player who came up with the 'objects can't be hidden' thing. Right? Only players could be so silly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A lot of different ability checks could be used when hiding an object.

• Conceal it behind/under other stuff - no roll required (I'd maybe ask for a DEX\Sleight of Hand if the player wanted to do it quickly and/or leaving no trace).

• Put it somewhere that searchers wouldn't think to look - INT\Deception? WIS\Insight? Something to model understanding how a typical searcher thinks.

• Disguise it as something else - INT\Survival (outdoors), INT\Deception (indoors), or cast illusion magic (including invisibility). Probably contested by WIS\Perception.

The DC for finding it would range from automatic (you flip back the bed sheets) to impossible (it is buried in the garden, but you have no idea of its existance, so there's no reason for you to dig up the entire back yard).

The DC might be modified by time. If the searchers make a quick look (5 mins), the DC might be 25. If they take a longer look (30 mins), the DC might be 15. If they toss the entire room (2 hours) the DC might be 10.

As usual, the basic rules apply: (1) Players describe goals and methods. (2) GM decides success or fail or maybe. (2a) If "maybe" then GM decides what to roll, and GM and/or Players roll it. (3) Players and GM narrate results and costs.

jaelis

Oh this is where the title goes?
No one's suggested using Slight of Hand. That would be my first inclination.

Well, the OP has
Another way seems to be the Sleight of Hand skill. It states "Whenever you attempt an act of legerdemain or manual trickery, such as planting something on someone else or concealing an object on your person, make a Dexterity (Sleight of Hand) check."

Staccat0

First Post
We know doors, traps and switches can be hidden so duh.

Finding the best place to put it: Stealth using your INT mod instead of DEX or using Investigation. Better results make for a harder DC.

Camoflaging something: Nature, disguise or Survival. Better results make for a harder DC.

Alternatively PCs could just describe something and you could set a DC for searches based on taste.

Slieght of Hand feels more like it would involve hiding something while being observed and having nobody notice.

Really, if you cannot adjucate on the fly, you might enjoy playing more than DMing

Gradine

The Elephant in the Room (she/her)
Well, you can hide votes, which aren't even tangible objects, so I think it goes to follow that you can hide objects too. :p

The expectation of a special set of rules for hiding an object is more than a little preposterous. If you listen to some people they don't even have a complete and consistent set of rules for hiding characters. We've been over this a thousand times by now, right? Ability checks, DM empowerment, rulings not rules, etc. etc.

I mean, let's go back to 3rd edition. Even (or especially) if you include all of the third party stuff flooding the market, I would be more surprised if there were explicit rules regarding hiding objects anywhere than I would if there were explicit rules regarding human waste. I've seen some of the "mature" third party supplements, I would not be surprised in the least.

*The 3.5 PHB at least (not sure about 3.0) talks about hiding an object on your person with Sleight of Hand. But then, so does the 5e PHB. That's not really what we're talking about though; I think this is more about finding a good hiding spot for an object and concealing it well. Which is not something I can find guidance for in either PHB.

Remove ads