Can someone break down the different Star Wars games for me?

aramis erak

Legend
From my experience with the original West End Games (WEG) version and the Fantasy Flight Games (FFG) versions, I think for youngsters they each have drawbacks and benefits.

The d6 version can be good for not having to do much explaining regarding how to read the dice. Then again, the FFG version might be more interesting to those who like more tactile options.

From a play perspective, I'm not sure the FFG version really suites my vision of Star Wars. From playing both the Warhammer Fantasy and Star Wars FFG versions, I think at some point you start asking yourself, "I have only 1 good dice and 3 bad die for this attempt...is it worth it?" That answer started become NO, it wasn't worth it. In other words, the dice mechanic fails the heroic nature of Star Wars.

Note that there is a big pile of issues for using d6 with kids. The first is that 1st edition, due to the initiative/resolution system, has lots of delayed gratitude. Not long delayed, usually, but potentially...

That's because...
Every PC declares action(s)... up to as many as their lowest skill being used this turn.
GM declares NPC actions and reactions.
Players declare reactions.
Everyone rolls dice for all actions at once, including reactions.
In descending order of skill roll, first actions are resolved.
As needed, damage and resistance rolls are made.
Then, second actions are rolled.
Second actions, in descending order of skill roll again...
Then, thirds. Etc.

Works great in certain circumstances (for me, everyone writes down the action(s) on index cards, one per action, then the rolls the dice, and writes the total. But that feels WAY wrong for star wars.
Note that, if on your initiative, your roll has been made invalid (due to target no longer in LOS, dead, or missing), you lose the action.
Note also: I've seen players take as many as 9 actions in one round. (6d+2 blaster, force point, 8 targets and dodge.).

this delayed sequence is not good for playing with kids...
In 2E, the initiative roll determines who acts first, rather than the skill roll, so one can ask and resolve together.

All of d6 has the issue of summing up to (in some cases) 12 or more dice. I know some adults who can't do that in under 30 seconds...

FFG has the issue of canceling and the use of talents to upgrade/downgrade/modify dice pools. It's not hard, but kids tend to forget the modifier talents. The dice pool is just count up, then count down. Less numeracy required, more aytem mastery.

d20 and Saga have both moderately high numbers (totals up to 30+), 2 digit additions, and "What do I roll for damage?"... but also have the lots of mechanical modifiers both in rules and in feats.

Not a one is "great for kids" ... but I've never had kids have conceptual issues with either FFG nor WEG. Overload of information, yes. My general leaning would be towards WEG for kids, simply due to the numeracy being less of a block to play, and being generally limited in kids under 14...

Remove ads