• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Can wands and staffs be used in an area of silence?

esorek

First Post
If a spell caster armed with a wand or staff is within the area of effect of a silence spell can he still use his wand or staff? The DMG seems ambiguous on this point as both these items use the spell trigger activation method which states that a command word must be spoken suggesting that spell trigger activated items can not be used in a silenced area but under activation in the wands section it states that "a character must hold it in hand and point it in the general direction of the target or area" with no mention of a command word which suggests that a wand can indeed be used in a silenced area so which one is it?

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Spell trigger items require a spoken word. Wands must be pointed at the target.

A wand of magic missile is both a wand and a spell trigger item, and therefore requires a command word, and must be pointed at target.

-Hyp.

Shard O'Glase

First Post
that wouldn't require a word to be spoken IMO. similar to how spell trigger items usually take a standard aciton but a staff of quickend fireballs would only take a free action to activate.

So the lesson learned is silent spell rocks.(esp silent get out of jail free cards)

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
...but what about a wand with a silent spell in it?!??!?!? :confused: :confused: :confused:

In my opinion? By speaking the appropriate word, you can activate the Silent spell in the wand :)

However, I don't have my DMG in front of me, so I can't read the wording of the passage about the effect of metamagic on spells in items like wands. The recent Quicken debate went into detail on it. It may say that a Silent wand requires no command word.

Now, would a Still, Silent wand require neither a word nor pointing? :)

-Hyp.

Bastoche

First Post
A scroll without (V) component would work, since it's a spell completion item. I'm not sure the staff requires a spoken word as an activation (could be a button for example)... Since a scroll would work why wouldn't a wand work ? Remember it's magical, there's no need for an explanation on how it works, it just does ;)

Last edited:

Zenon

First Post
Re: Re: Can wands and staffs be used in an area of silence?

Hypersmurf said:
Spell trigger items require a spoken word. Wands must be pointed at the target.

A wand of magic missile is both a wand and a spell trigger item, and therefore requires a command word, and must be pointed at target.

-Hyp.

?

Is this written differently in the DMG? The SRD does not indicate that a wand requires a command word, if fact it differentiates between Spell Trigger and Command Word items:

On the different types of activation:

From the SRD:
The four ways to activate magic items are:

Spell Completion

This is the activation method for scrolls. To use a spell completion item safely, a character must be high enough level in the right class to cast the spell already. If he can’t already cast the spell, there’s a chance he’ll make a mistake (see Scroll Mishaps for possible consequences). Activating a spell completion item is a standard action and provokes attacks of opportunity exactly as casting a spell does.

Spell Trigger

Anyone with a spell on his or her spell list knows how to use a spell trigger item that stores that spell. Activating a spell trigger item is a standard action and does not provoke attacks of opportunity.

Command Word

Command word activation means that a character speaks the word and the item activates. No other special knowledge is needed. Activating a command word magic item is a standard action and does not provoke attacks of opportunity.

Knowledge (arcana) or Knowledge (history) skills might be useful in helping to identify command words or deciphering clues regarding them. A successful check (DC 30) is needed to come up with the word itself. If that check is failed, succeeding at a second check (DC 25) might provide some insight into a clue.

The spells identify and analyze dweomer both reveal command words.

Use Activated

This type of item simply has to be used in order to activate it. Use activation is generally straightforward and self-explanatory.

Continually functioning items are practically always items that one wears. A few must simply be in the character’s possession. Some items made for wearing must still be activated. Although this activation sometimes requires a command word, usually it means mentally willing the activation to happen.

Activating a use-activated magic item is either a standard action or not even an action and does not provoke attacks of opportunity, unless the use involves committing an action that provokes an attack of opportunity in itself. If the use of the item takes time before a magical effect occurs, then use activation is a standard action. If the item’s activation is subsumed in use and takes no extra time, use activation is usually not even an action.

On Wands and Staves:
Wands use the spell trigger activation method, so casting a spell from a wand is usually a standard action that doesn’t provoke attacks of opportunity. (If the spell being cast, however, has a longer casting time than 1 action, it takes that long to cast the spell from a wand.) To activate a wand, a character must hold it in hand (or whatever passes for a hand, for nonhumanoid creatures) and point it in the general direction of the target or area.

Staffs use the spell trigger activation method, so casting a spell from a staff is usually a standard action that doesn’t provoke attacks of opportunity. (If the spell being cast, however, has a longer casting time than 1 action, it takes that long to cast the spell from a staff.) To activate a staff, a character must hold it forth in at least one hand (or whatever passes for a hand, for nonhumanoid creatures).

Neither state that a command word must also be spoken. So I would think unless a command word is also stated in the item description that it would not be required. Does it state something different in the DMG? (page number and quote if possible please).

I'm not trying to be a jerk, I'm just trying to wrap my brain around this and make sure I'm doing it right.

Thanks!

Last edited:

IceBear

Explorer
Re: Re: Re: Can wands and staffs be used in an area of silence?

Zenon said:
Is this written differently in the DMG? The SRD does not indicate that a wand requires a command word, if fact it differentiates between Spell Trigger and Command Word items:
Thanks!

I'm sorry, I'm at work now and don't have my DMG here, but, yes, Spell Trigger in the DMG states that a word must be spoken in order to activate it (I was reading it this morning).

IceBear

Zenon

First Post
Re: Re: Re: Re: Can wands and staffs be used in an area of silence?

IceBear said:

I'm sorry, I'm at work now and don't have my DMG here, but, yes, Spell Trigger in the DMG states that a word must be spoken in order to activate it (I was reading it this morning).

IceBear

Hmm, I have the same problem (no DMG at work). I'll have to reread those sections when I get home.

Thanks. If that's true, I've been doing it wrong! Dang!

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads