D&D 5E can warlocks be good guys?

Agreed with Ezekiel. I have a fundamental distaste for the idea of gods granting warlock pacts, as that's precisely what clerics and paladins are for.

But then, I also have a fundamental distaste for the idea of "celestial" or other good-aligned patrons, and those seem to be a fairly popular house rule, so what do I know?

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
Yeah, to me, warlocks are what a being creates because they can't make clerics and paladins or because they are too weak to make more.

Edit:

Actually 5e and 4e set up warlocks as the "clerics and paladins" or the loser pantheons, lesser racial pantheons, and nondivine.

Greek:

Primordials make warlocks and paladins of the ancients
Titans make warlocks
Gods make clerics and non ancient paladins
Lesser immortals (archfey and archfiends) make warlocks and paladins
Ascended Half immortals make warlocks.

Last edited:

S_Dalsgaard

First Post
While I don't have a problem with good-aligned patrons, I do think it fits best with those of a chaotic persuasion (either good, neutral, or evil) and only those who aren't powerful enough to grant powers to clerics.

Mishihari Lord

First Post
A warlock can certainly start off good. There are plenty of stories in fantasy literature about the guy who thought he could use evil for a good end but ended up corrupted. Staying good while your patron is trying their darndest (I had a better word here, but, you know, grandma) to corrupt you may not be possible, and will certainly be very difficult. Because, of course, corruption is exactly what lower plane patrons do to pass their time. I could even see this coming up in RP. "I could throw a few hit points your way so you don't die in this battle, but if I do, there's this little thing you need to do for me ..."

I kind of like the idea of celestial patrons too, and was surprised to not see them in the book. I would expect that they'd be tougher to have as a patron then the other types though. I think they would demand a code of conduct tougher than a AD&D paladin's.

GSHamster

Adventurer
It's an interesting point that Good-aligned "powers" tend to be gods (or in the service of gods, like angels).

I'm trying to think of a good power from myth and legend who isn't a god and am drawing a blank. Maybe Oberon.

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
"And I say, Zangief, you are bad guy, but this does not mean you are *bad* guy." -Zangief

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
It's an interesting point that Good-aligned "powers" tend to be gods (or in the service of gods, like angels).

There's the bias in religions for you. A religion probably defines most of its gods as "good" or at least having a positive influence. Whereas warlock-ish pacts are specifically based on anti-godly forces like demons and devils - all of which, in Christian mythology at least, fell from serving the gods.

A real world mythic model to follow could draw from the saints. While their miracles may be powered by the Christian god, they could certainly offer a particular spin on the power granted, enabling you to differentiate different flavors of warlock. Another alternative might be Shinto-based kami (including the likes of Thomas Edison).

BedlamBlade

Villager

I'm trying to think of a good power from myth and legend who isn't a god and am drawing a blank. Maybe Oberon.

Oberon and Titania are more usually displayed as Chaotic Neutral than anything else. In Dream, you could argue that Titania leans slightly Chaotic Good, in that she takes Oberon to task for what their wrangling is doing to the world around them (flood, fogs, general malaise). But then, half the time in myth and legend powerful fey beings are either some form of Celtic deity in their own right, or are portrayed as so alien that mortal concepts of good and evil tend to slide right off them.

Some nature spirits might count. Or wise supernatural beings. I'm thinking The Lady of the Lake, or a genius loci. Or, for example, in the Welsh Triads, the “Trioedd Ynys Prydein,” the Owl of Cwm Cowlwyd, the Eagle of Gwernabwy, the Blackbird of Celli Gadarn are the Three Elders of the World. You'd think being one of the three oldest beings in existence, you might have enough magical clout to imbue a Warlock. Certainly the Owl could grant a good-ish version of the Devil's Sight Invocation. Likewise the Tome pact, as they are so wise, with secrets gained throughout the ages. Levitation is like flight, so that fits. Etc, etc.

Klaus

First Post
Agreed with Ezekiel. I have a fundamental distaste for the idea of gods granting warlock pacts, as that's precisely what clerics and paladins are for.

But then, I also have a fundamental distaste for the idea of "celestial" or other good-aligned patrons, and those seem to be a fairly popular house rule, so what do I know?

Olgun wants a word with you. :D

Wednesday Boy

The Nerd WhoFell to Earth
What if it wasn't you who made the pact? What if a loved one (a parent) made the pact with the devil in your stead? The deal would be for the devil to give you the means while the price would be on your parent's head.

If the character knew very little about their parent this could make for a pretty good backstory mystery as you learn why your parent did this. Maybe it was benevolent; a last desperate way to save your life (take my soul to watch over my child) or maybe it was malevolent; the parent was Evil, in cahoots with the devil and wanted his child to take on the same mantle or believes the child has a sinister destiny.

Or maybe the deal was approached by the devil. Perhaps the parent did some great service for the devil or saved its life, etc. and the devil feels like it owes the parent and supplying the child with power is the repayment. This could make for more intrigue in the plot because the power is given based on the favor owed and could be taken away if the devil felt the debt was paid.

Remove ads