D&D 5E can warlocks be good guys?

steeldragons

Steeliest of the dragons
Epic
Why make some --theoretically mechanically balanced-- classes inherently more difficult to play than others?

They can be as mechanically balanced as they wanna be. There are expectations and limitations of flavor that are inherent to the class. Reading the class descriptions tells you that.

Other than that, I don't really have an answer for you. You'd have to ask the 5e designers.

But, the archetype/defining fantasy feature of the class is being pacted (not having some "verbal agreement/fair trade") with an extra-dimensional entity.

A couple of editions ago, someone decided that was a cool/special/separate enough "type" to have its own class...and here we are.

What purpose does that serve?

A flavor one? Because Dungeons & Dragons is not a game that is only created or measured in mechanics. Again, I'm guessing. You'd have to ask the designers.

Last edited:

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
Random semi-related thought: does Sailor Moon count as a warlock? I think so (Chain Pact, specifically, because of the cat).

Man, I'm still wondering if Power Rangers are really blade pact warlocks.

easy magic armor, weapons out of nowhere, limited big effects, explosive backgrounds....

Riley37

First Post
How about Bahamut as a warlock patron?

"You seem like a decent person. Here's some powers, with one condition: if you get a chance to oppose Tiamat, do so."

Perfect background for HotDQ.

You could have a Pact with Bahamut, and also an Oath, and multiclass as warlock-paladin.
Remember, Dragonborn get +CHA, ideal for both of those classes!

Last edited:

EzekielRaiden

Follower of the Way
How about Bahamut as a warlock patron?

"You seem like a decent person. Here's some powers, with one condition: if you get a chance to oppose Tiamat, do so."

Perfect background for HotDQ.

You could have a Pact with Bahamut, and also an Oath, and multiclass as warlock-paladin.
Remember, Dragonborn get +CHA, ideal for both of those classes!

I guess I have two issues with that.

One, more aesthetically: Bahamut doesn't seem, to me, like the kind of guy who does "you seem cool, here's some power, enjoy, but lend a hand when my interests would benefit." He's usually among the most goody-two-shoes of the gods, wise and venerable and all that but frowning on anything that smells of Dirty Business. For comparison, he's like the Superman (or maybe Martian Manhunter) of the divine Justice League, as opposed to (say) Hawkgirl/Kord or GL/Pelor, people who are totally willing to bend the rules a bit, or take the "questionable but effective" path, as long as they achieve good ends. "Warlock"--as you yourself note--has a super-strong connotation of letting the Warlock do whatever the heck they want, and I guess I just find it hard to swallow the idea that Bahamut would willingly select (or accept a request from) someone who wasn't already more-or-less a Cleric/Paladin/etc. anyway.

The other, more personal: I've...developed a strong distaste for "Warlocks are just like clerics!!" which comes up an awful lot in discussions of slimming down the D&D roster of classes. This, unfortunately, strikes me as lending actually legitimate support to that idea--"deities can grant pacts" is only a hair's breadth away from saying warlocks are just a special kind of Cleric (or whatever). Plus, the reasonable powers and spell-list I'd expect for this would massively overlap with what a Cleric would get, giving the "they're the same" camp even more fuel.

Normally I'd be all over anything Bahamut and/or dragonborn. I just...can't get over those hangups, unfortunately. :(

Remove ads