• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Can you concentrate on a spell while resting?

Daniel Russell

First Post
Seems strange that the benefit of using a higher spell slot with hex is an extended duration, when the original duration is more than sufficient to cover an encounter. With what was posted above even if you don't rest it ends, so using higher level spell slots is just wasteful (I know a single class warlock has no choice, but a multiclass does) and also a waste of ink in the PHB. After all what is the point of a spell with a duration of 8 Hours (pssst will always end in under 5 minutes).

brehobit

Explorer
I believe the spellcaster does not get the benefits of a short rest while Concentrating.

The rest of the party can still short rest. The wizard or whatever is sitting there too, but isn't focussed on the small talk.

This way I am sure you can keep up Concentration during an entire short rest, provided the spell duration allows it of course (the Duration can't be 1 hour or shorter - it must be greater than 1 hour, obviously)

This is how I'd rule it too. But I think it's unclear as written and worth asking.

jrowland

First Post
I'd rule spellcaster can not gain benefits of a short/long rest while concentrating. We might think of the fighter easing tired muscles (icing down, massage, taping ankles, etc like a football player at half time) but a spellcaster needs mental rest and concentration on an active spell gets in the way.

As for Hex lasting longer than an hour, I can seem limited utility. I am not sure how high levels plays in this edition, but I can see hexing a tough opponent who escapes, and hours later the party catches up to, hex still active. Its a worthy trade off: no rest for me, still hexed for you.

Zaukrie

New Publisher
Huh, I would rule you can concentrate and rest. You can fight and concentrate, resting should be easy compared to that. Sleep? No.

Sacrosanct

Legend
Personally, I'd rule yes on a short rest, but no on a long one or while sleeping/meditating. You need to be able to dedicate a significant portion of your concious to concentrating (since that's what the word means), and you really can't do sleep/meditation while concentrating on something else at the same time.

keterys

First Post
Concentrate through a short rest, not through a long rest makes sense to me.

Also, Mearls is wrong about Hex; he might be thinking of an older version, not realize it has added duration at higher level, or any number of things.

I would rule that a short rest isn't a problem but that there would be a choice to make during a long rest. The concentrating character can choose to:

A) Drop concentration to get the full effects of a long rest.

OR

B) Try and maintain concentration through the rest. To do so the caster must make a CON save (DC 10 + concentration spell's level) or suffer 1 level of exhaustion until a long rest without concentration is taken.

Joe Liker

First Post
Also, Mearls is wrong about Hex; he might be thinking of an older version, not realize it has added duration at higher level, or any number of things.
I agree; he's absolutely wrong. That's why it's dangerous to take tweets as gospel. Giving off-the-cuff replies to questions that require thought and research ... it's just a bad, bad policy, in my opinion.

In any case, all the answers to this question are found in the concentration rules. They very clearly provide an exhaustive list of game effects that can break concentration. "Taking a short rest" is not on that list.

Being incapacitated, however, is on that list, and when you are unconscious, you are incapacitated. Therefore, sleeping breaks concentration.

While there is not an explicit rule that says you have to sleep to gain the benefit of a long rest, I think most DMs are going to rule that that is the case. Therefore, for most characters in most campaigns, a long rest will break concentration. Elves might be a common exception.

Remove ads