• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Can you concentrate on a spell while resting?

Ranes

Adventurer
Another vote for not on a long rest. And I'd say that goes for Elves, too. They may not need to sleep but they need to enter into a trance and I think that requirement rules out concentrating on a spell.

Paraxis

Explorer
I would say for most people a long rest stops concentration, since unconsciousness causes incapacitation and that is listed as something that breaks concentration. Now some races like elves with trance and more than likely warforged could keep up concentration while taking a long rest.

Short rests would not stop concentration for anyone.

brehobit

Explorer
I would say for most people a long rest stops concentration, since unconsciousness causes incapacitation and that is listed as something that breaks concentration. Now some races like elves with trance and more than likely warforged could keep up concentration while taking a long rest.

Short rests would not stop concentration for anyone.

Baring clarification, I think that's what I'll go with. Thanks!

Falling Icicle

Adventurer
Another vote for not on a long rest. And I'd say that goes for Elves, too. They may not need to sleep but they need to enter into a trance and I think that requirement rules out concentrating on a spell.

I agree. Trance is described as a form of deep meditation. I don't see how one could do that and still maintain their concentration on something else.

Paraxis

Explorer
I agree. Trance is described as a form of deep meditation. I don't see how one could do that and still maintain their concentration on something else.

They could meditate and focus on the concentration.

My thinking on this.
Things that break concentration.
  • Casting another spell that requires concentration.
  • Taking damage.
  • Being incapacitated or killed.
  • Certain environmental effects might force a Con save.

Going to sleep = unconsciousness = incapacitated.

Trance = semiconscious and that is by definition not unconscious. Trance is also not casting another spell, taking damage, dying, or an environmental phenomena, so that is why I figure trance allows for concentration.

keterys

First Post
Fwiw, you don't need to be unconscious to be incapacitated in 5E. Based on the description of the Elven Trance in the book, I'd consider an elf in trance to be incapacitated, much like a stunned creature. They're not fully conscious (definition of semi-conscious), nor fully aware of their surroundings, often dreaming. Elves may have developed a hyperefficient variant on sleeping, but that doesn't mean they're at full capacity.

Not that I'm sure it really matters, but there's no reason to make an exception where one's unneeded.

Paraxis

Explorer
Fwiw, you don't need to be unconscious to be incapacitated in 5E. Based on the description of the Elven Trance in the book, I'd consider an elf in trance to be incapacitated, much like a stunned creature. They're not fully conscious (definition of semi-conscious), nor fully aware of their surroundings, often dreaming. Elves may have developed a hyperefficient variant on sleeping, but that doesn't mean they're at full capacity.

Not that I'm sure it really matters, but there's no reason to make an exception where one's unneeded.

I can see that point of view.

But to me an elf in trance could take a reaction, that is how I see it, in the trance if someone snuck up to them or say shot an arrow I would allow an elf spellcaster to get off the shield spell for instance. This isn't spelled out in game terms, but I believe it is the intention behind trance. Now if you can take reactions you are not incapacitated, because the definition of incapacitated in game terms is unable to take actions and reactions.

So basicly if you rule trance = incapacitated but not unconscious it would end concentration, but if you view trance as allowing for reactions and not incapacitated then they should be able to keep up concentration.

keterys

First Post
But to me an elf in trance could take a reaction
It's certainly possible to rule that way, but since they are unaware of their surroundings in their trance, they would be unable to take reactions or actions (interesting that surprised and incapacitated have near identical results in this edition), so a shield spell would be tougher.

GSHamster

Adventurer
Huh, I would rule you can concentrate and rest. You can fight and concentrate, resting should be easy compared to that. Sleep? No.

But resting also means relaxing, and "standing down" from the focus a fight requires.

For example, let's say you're doing math problems in your head. Then someone says, "let's take a break". If you continue to do math problems, are you really taking a break?

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads