• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Can you create YOUR character with basic D&D?

Can you make your character with basic D&D?

• YEP!

Votes: 24 27.6%
  • Not yet, need the PHB.

Votes: 48 55.2%
  • Kind of....but not perfectly.

Votes: 15 17.2%

Stormonu

Legend
O.k. I will bite. What mechanically do you feel you would need to create this character that is not present in a Fighter build with an appropriately created custom background?

Well, preferably, an actual Samurai class - but we'd probably have to see an OA-styled book down the line for that. Personally, I'm not much for reskinning stuff.

Mechanically, some ki abilities (Great shout for a bonus to hit and damage, Fearless and a Code of Honor). I'm sure I could get buy with some sort of Paladin reskin, but that would just bug me.

BoldItalic

First Post
We have seven PCs in our game, which we intend to migrate from DDNext playtest rules to 5e.

The paladin, half-elf druid, bard and barbarian will definitely have to wait for the PHB.

The dwarven cleric has a bounty hunter background and the human rogue has a noble background. We could probably have a stab at converting those with a bit of guesswork. Noble is in the starter set pregen so we could work from that. The high-elf evoker has a priest background - near enough to Acolyte. We could convert him right now.

MatthewJHanson

Registered Ninja
Publisher
I am running two characters right now. (I don't have a standard option I like to play).

One is a dwarf cleric, so no problem there.

The other... is a warforged hybrid warden/warlord multiclass warlock. So no.

Yaarel

🇮🇱He-Mage
No.

To my surprise, I can't create my philosophical cleric in Basic.

Why does every cleric have to have a god?

Maybe the Player's Handbook will be more inclusive?

Last edited:

Remove ads