Can you drink potions under water?

Otterscrubber

First Post
Can you drink a potion under water? I was just wondering as I have a dwarven pally who wears heavy armor. If he gets dumped into the drink on some future adventure are there rules for drinking potions (water walking in this case) while submerged?

Caliban

Rules Monkey
Otterscrubber said:
Can you drink a potion under water? I was just wondering as I have a dwarven pally who wears heavy armor. If he gets dumped into the drink on some future adventure are there rules for drinking potions (water walking in this case) while submerged?

There is no rule that prevents it. Just open it near your mouth and quickly swallow it.

MrZoink

First Post
Just keep your potions in those juice drink squeeze pouches and you're all set. ; )

In the real world, I think that drinking something from a bottle underwater could be a little tricky, but it's not implicitly against the rules, and it's not that big a deal. I would let a character do it.

That said, if you are the type that craves "realism", or "drama", whatever those are, you could make the character have to make a concentration check (DC 12?) to pull it off.

Personally, I'd just let the character do it without a check.

Judas

First Post
Put bottle in mouth.
Pop cork/stopper off with tongue.
Point mouth up as air in mouth goes up, and fluid in flask goes down.

He's a dwarf, swallowing a stopper isn't going to effect him. ;)
Concentration check to use tongue to push stopper to side of mouth so it doesn't get swallowed.

green slime

First Post
Yes you can drink underwater. I've done it while scuba diving.

You have to be kind of careful, and the liquid may get a tad salty, but it isn't a problem really. Especially if you didn't have the hastle of a breathing apparatus to keep track of!

The REAL problem of drinking underwater is that liquids that contain bubbles are flat. So no sparkling water, no bubbling champagne, no Coke fizz. Its because of the pressure.

Otterscrubber

First Post
green slime said:

The REAL problem of drinking underwater is that liquids that contain bubbles are flat. So no sparkling water, no bubbling champagne, no Coke fizz. Its because of the pressure.

Must be rough spending all that money on good champagne only to have it be flat when yer ready to tie one on at 150ft down :)

Last edited:

green slime

First Post
Yeah it sucks. Hadn't thought of that, so it was rather disappointing...Although I should have realised! :D

I should point out that drinking while under pressure is not really recommended, as the effect of alchohol (and other drugs) is reinforced. It also increases the likelihood of "bends".

Remove ads