Can you flank with a non-ally?

RigaMortus2

First Post
mvincent said:
She must both threaten and have another attacker on the opposite side of her opponent.

Is there a rules quote that states the Rogue has to threaten it's target in order to help flank them? Or is this just an assumption?

mvincent

Explorer
Nail said:
Where does it say she must threaten? ;)
The rules say:
"When making a melee attack, you get a +2 flanking bonus if your opponent is threatened by a character or creature friendly to you on the opponent’s opposite border or opposite corner."
and
"Only a creature or character that threatens the defender can help an attacker get a flanking bonus."

This could be interpreted few ways, but it does not appear to allow for someone to flank with a ranged weapon. You could be considered to be flanking while attacking with a melee weapon while someone threatens on the opposite side (even if your melee weapon does not threaten), and you could be considered to be flanking if threatening with someone else on the opposite side. So I suppose a rogue could be interpreted as flanking when attacking with a non-threatening melee weapon, but note that I was speaking in reference to my earlier mentioned kludge of attacking with a ranged weapon while flanking.

Also, the 3.0 FAQ states:
"If you’re out of melee reach and you have a ranged weapon, you cannot flank
an opponent."

Last edited:

RigaMortus2

First Post
mvincent said:
The rules say:
"When making a melee attack, you get a +2 flanking bonus if your opponent is threatened by a character or creature friendly to you on the opponent’s opposite border or opposite corner."
and
"Only a creature or character that threatens the defender can help an attacker get a flanking bonus."

This could be interpreted few ways, but it does not appear to allow for someone to flank with a ranged weapon.

Well, it wouldn't allow someone with a ranged weapon to get the +2 flanking bonus, that much is certain. But then you have to assume that "flanking bonus" = "flanking" which I don't think is crystal clear.

mvincent

Explorer
RigaMortus2 said:
Well, it wouldn't allow someone with a ranged weapon to get the +2 flanking bonus, that much is certain.
They could not get the flanking bonus, nor assist someone else in flanking... so I could not say they were involved in flanking at all.

In addition to the 3.0 FAQ, the RotG also says:
"you cannot flank with a ranged weapon."

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
mvincent said:
In addition to the 3.0 FAQ, the RotG also says:
"you cannot flank with a ranged weapon."

RotG also says both parties must threaten, and we've already determined that per the rules, someone making a melee attack with a whip can be flanking as long as his ally is threatening...

-Hyp.

mvincent

Explorer
Hypersmurf said:
RotG also says both parties must threaten, and we've already determined that per the rules, someone making a melee attack with a whip can be flanking as long as his ally is threatening...
It seems reasonable to contest that part, but are you contesting the part I quoted?

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
mvincent said:
It seems reasonable to contest that part, but are you contesting the part I quoted?

Me personally? No; I think that gaining the flanking bonus is necessary for being considered flanking, and therefore you are not flanking unless you are in the process of making a melee attack.

But I would contest the authority of the RotG article on flanking in general, since it demonstrably contradicts at least one rule...

-Hyp.

green slime

First Post
Hypersmurf said:
Me personally? No; I think that gaining the flanking bonus is necessary for being considered flanking, and therefore you are not flanking unless you are in the process of making a melee attack.

But I would contest the authority of the RotG article on flanking in general, since it demonstrably contradicts at least one rule...

-Hyp.

What does RotG stand for again? I probably have it, but I can't even begin to remember all the 112+ titles on my bookshelf any more.

"Rites of the Greedy"?
"Races of the Grumpy"?
"Rituals of the Gnomes"?

Remove ads