Can you suggest a RPG system.

KronikAlkoholik

First Post
This is my first post here and I'm asking for some advice. I do not expect anyone to do my work for me but I have always seen fellow roleplayers as a helpful bunch. I guess this might end up a long post but hopefully someone would have the patient to read it to the end.

I've been a roleplayer for about 15 years and almost always played with a group which are also my friends outside of roleplaying. However we are not all very alike in taste and such. I have been most active as a GM and generally learning the systems and reading about the game worlds. Most of the other gamers just wan't to show up and play and aren't that willing to invest time outside of that. Some are however good roleplayers and can easily create interesting characters while others only put down numbers that make them cool and can barely decide on a name for their character.

We mostly played Shadowrun but also D&D 2 - 3.5 and small amount of other games (Gurps, Star Wars D6, WoD and more). We haven't played for some time mostly because of moving to different cities but now will finally all be in the same location again. So I was wondering what we should play.

I'm not looking for a setting, rather a system. The perfect system would be something generic so we could use it for any setting, would allow the characters be both cool and interesting and would require little prep time for me.

I usually have no problem coming up with adventures, even on the fly. I however don't wan't to invest time making battlemaps and stats for every single enemy. That also would force me to railroad my players into these monsters. I could usually just make up stats as we wen't when playing SR and that suits me fine.

The problem I have with some obvious choices are:

D&D 4e - The players might like the tactical combat and cool player powers. We could also possibly just roleplay through the lack of non combat skills but the biggest problem here is battlemaps, stats & railroading.

Shadowrun - We were finding the setting to be a little dated, also noone liked deckers cause they slowed down play. That was supposed to be fixed in 4e but we where going to give it a try but gave up because of certain issues we had with the system. I do however believe these issue where fixed with the anniversary edition. We might give it a try, but still I'm just not convinced enough to learn this system.

Now with the addition in the recent years of the indie market I was hoping that there was a hidden gem that would suit us fine. One has been mentioned often, Savage Worlds, but I'm not convinced. It seems too abstract and I've seen two characters from the same setting and they look almost the same. I just can't see what's so good about it. Guess you have to read the book, or even play it.

Well I guess this post is now long enough so noone wan'ts to read the whole thing and I will get no response. But if you do I will be very thankful.

Nagol

Unimportant
This is my first post here and I'm asking for some advice. I do not expect anyone to do my work for me but I have always seen fellow roleplayers as a helpful bunch. I guess this might end up a long post but hopefully someone would have the patient to read it to the end.

I've been a roleplayer for about 15 years and almost always played with a group which are also my friends outside of roleplaying. However we are not all very alike in taste and such. I have been most active as a GM and generally learning the systems and reading about the game worlds. Most of the other gamers just wan't to show up and play and aren't that willing to invest time outside of that. Some are however good roleplayers and can easily create interesting characters while others only put down numbers that make them cool and can barely decide on a name for their character.

We mostly played Shadowrun but also D&D 2 - 3.5 and small amount of other games (Gurps, Star Wars D6, WoD and more). We haven't played for some time mostly because of moving to different cities but now will finally all be in the same location again. So I was wondering what we should play.

I'm not looking for a setting, rather a system. The perfect system would be something generic so we could use it for any setting, would allow the characters be both cool and interesting and would require little prep time for me.

I usually have no problem coming up with adventures, even on the fly. I however don't wan't to invest time making battlemaps and stats for every single enemy. That also would force me to railroad my players into these monsters. I could usually just make up stats as we wen't when playing SR and that suits me fine.

The problem I have with some obvious choices are:

D&D 4e - The players might like the tactical combat and cool player powers. We could also possibly just roleplay through the lack of non combat skills but the biggest problem here is battlemaps, stats & railroading.

Shadowrun - We were finding the setting to be a little dated, also noone liked deckers cause they slowed down play. That was supposed to be fixed in 4e but we where going to give it a try but gave up because of certain issues we had with the system. I do however believe these issue where fixed with the anniversary edition. We might give it a try, but still I'm just not convinced enough to learn this system.

Now with the addition in the recent years of the indie market I was hoping that there was a hidden gem that would suit us fine. One has been mentioned often, Savage Worlds, but I'm not convinced. It seems too abstract and I've seen two characters from the same setting and they look almost the same. I just can't see what's so good about it. Guess you have to read the book, or even play it.

Well I guess this post is now long enough so noone wan'ts to read the whole thing and I will get no response. But if you do I will be very thankful.

Depending on the genre preferences, I'm a fan of the Uni-system from Eden Studios -- All Flesh Must be Eaten, Witchcraft, Conspiracy-X, and others.

The Witchraft pdf is still free. CJ Carrella's WitchCraft - Eden Studios | RPGNow.com

VacuumJockey

Explorer
Well, if you like fantasy, FATE: Legends of Anglerre is an excellent toolkit game. It also works really well for GM's who like to improvise. Plus, it's very complete - you can build dominions, guilds, armies, battlebarges, giant robots, etc with just the basic rules; they cover a lot of ground.

(That said, FATE can be a bit too hippieish for some people, so be sure to read reviews and stuff before you buy! :0 )

There's also Chaosiums BRP. The basic system is fairly simple, and there's a multitude of optional rules you can add to tweak your campaign just the way you like it. Add the Classic Fantasy supp, and you can do almost any edition of D&D - with a skillbased semi-classless system no less!

Finally, there's REIGN: Enchiridion. This is another complete game, with the innovative one-roll system. Very cool, but like BRP perhaps best suited for more 'realistic' powerlevels, i.e. Conan, Fafhrd & the Mouser, Solomon Kane and so on. If you want D&D-style dimension-hopping archmages, FATE is perhaps the better choice. IMO, YMMV and so on.

And again, be sure to check reviews - nothing worse that buying a good game that just isn't to your liking. Been there, done that... :(

MortonStromgal

First Post
, also noone liked deckers cause they slowed down play.

1e & 2e: decker rolled computer+reaction+program vs TN with number of successes vs color. Nodes/Hosts came in 6 or so varieties and examples had a map of them (though honestly you could have just one of each or less)

VR2.0 & 3e: decker rolled computer+hacking pool vs TN-program rating with the number of successes vs color. Nodes/Hosts are sorta glossed over meaning most systems will just be a single one

4e: Hacker rolls computer+program vs TN 5, Nodes/Hosts are glossed over just like 3e but its implied the system works like the original but no details are given.

Personally I enjoyed 2.0 & 3e the most as a decker, 4e almost simplified it too far if you dont want to have more than one node.

Theres nothing wrong with the original system however other than the premade adventures had crazy big system maps. If you kept your maps to a single SAN, CPU, DS, I/OP it worked pretty good.

Ultimately though I would say GURPS if you want something generic.

Last edited:

Stormonu

Legend
I know you mentioned being wary of it, but I will say that I found Savege Worlds to fit my bill for a low-prep game system that could model most genres well (in fact, folks have modeled many other game worlds in SW).

Mechanics in the game tend to be light (roll an attribute or skill die and a d6, if either die comes up 4 or higher, you succeed), but there's an amazing depth and breadth the game can cover - and two characters will feel quite different due to the various advantages and disadvatages you can build into a character. While mechanics will diferentiate characters somewhat, its really the RP side that defines the characters - sort of a cross between BECMI/1e/2e ("simple" mechanics) & 3e (feats, skills & prestige classes).

There are free test drive rules at Welcome to Pinnacle's Weird Website! to give it a shake down if you simply want to investigate. It takes maybe 30 minutes to learn the system from the full rules, and character creation takes about 15 minutes or less.

My immediate answer there is Spirit of the Century if you have a small, closely knit, and established group. It doesn't scale to large groups well and only works with stable ones but rocks at what it does. Also recommendations for Savage Worlds for something rules light and Wushu.

But seriously, if you have a tight knit group of roleplayers, give SoTC and especially the aspects a look.

You mean no non-combat skills other than the seventeen skills, various non-combat powers, the rituals, and anything else I've forgotten? The Railroad problem is mitigated by the fact you can have an interesting fight using monsters straight out of the monster manuals - and the rest improvises nicely.

jcayer

Explorer
Here is another vote for Savage Worlds. The core rulebook can be picked up for $10 and as noted above, the test rules are free.

KronikAlkoholik

First Post
Thank you for your suggestion, a few games here I haven't really heard of I'm gonna get some info on.

You could shape your game any way you want with HERO, GURPS, or Mutants & Masterminds.

I actually own a few GURPS 4e books. But I feel the system might often get in the way of the game. It would take me perhaps 1 hour for each race I wanted to create for a setting and even if I allowed such things to be open I would have to create the characters for the players. They lack willingness and/or imagination to learn how to create with such a system.

I really like effect based powers though and the more simpler M&M might work for high powered games. I actually have a pocket version of the rulebook and I really like the system. It's simpler and more streamlined then Gurps. Wouldn't work very well with low power games and my players aren't big supers fan. Perhaps for a high powered fantasy though.

You mean no non-combat skills other than the seventeen skills, various non-combat powers, the rituals, and anything else I've forgotten? The Railroad problem is mitigated by the fact you can have an interesting fight using monsters straight out of the monster manuals - and the rest improvises nicely.

Yeah it has a few skills and I really like the rituals (keeping them seperate from powers), I can't see players taking non-combat powers however. But the game requires battlemats and some representation on the for chars and minis. I'm just not willing too force a system too do what it clearly isn't built to do.

Treebore

First Post
The tricky part is minimal prep time for you.

System mastery goes the longest way towards helping with that.

The systems I currently run where I pretty much have prep time down to less than an hour per session, usually half an hour, is FATE games and Castles and Crusades. Another system that I think will be easy once I master it is CORTEX.

Another system that I can prep for very quickly 90% of the time is Legend of the 5 Rings 4E. System mastery definitely helps me with this one.

Savage Worlds does give a nice variety, and I am prepping to run Soloman Kane. At this point my prep time is just going into understanding the material (Soloman Kane) well enough to do it justice within the system. The system itself is still crunchy, but once you get familiar with it building stuff is pretty fast.

If you want to check out the FATE system there is a FATE SRD PDF available to DL on line:

http://www.faterpg.com/dl/sotc_srd.pdf

Remove ads