Can you suggest a RPG system.

Treebore

First Post
Any reason SW is better then FATE ?

As a player I know I enjoyed FATE better, by a lot. I've just started running a FATE game (Starblazer) so in a few weeks I will know better from the GM perspective, but so far I am having a surprising amount of fun creating the planets, ships, organizations, and NPC's then I have ever had with any other RPG, let alone Savage Worlds.

What I am finding ultra cool is the idea of Aspects is so easy to port to any other RPG and add the same element to the other RPG's. Some systems are already so complicated I don't see myself using Aspects with it, but simpler systems, like Traveller, CORTEX, Savage Worlds, Castles and Crusades, OSR D&D, etc... I can definitely see having Aspects added to.

Treebore

First Post
My impression is that FATE is a bit more toward the fluff/roleplay end of the spectrum than Savage Worlds is but I may be off base there.

That perspective exists because you can use FATE points to alter situations in the game, subject to GM approval. Most of the time you use FATE points and Aspects to modify dice rolls or to get re-rolls. Plus FATE is simply 2d6, with one considered "negative", or you can use the FATE dice which accomplish the same thing.

By "alter" let me give an example that I think is in the Starblazer book. Say I describe a situation and say that a set of tools that could be used to overcome the challenge of the situation is not there, a player can burn a FATE point to say that it would be standard procedure for such a location to have such tools around. If I agree the change is made.

Ashy

First Post

TGryph

Explorer
Have you considered the newest Mongoose version of Runequest? It is the game system that pulled me and my group away from D&D, which I have been playing for over 30 years.

Very interesting system for PC generation that allows for different types of characters - yet it doesn't get in the way of roleplaying. My group also loves the combat system, which contains a very tactical feel due to use of combat maneuvers. It has four solid magic systems and requires minimal books - namely the Core book and the Monster Coliseum book if you are the GM.

Many of the older Runequest supplements are easily adaptable to use with it. My games require very little prep time on my part.

I think it may be what you are looking for.

TGryph

Remove ads