• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Can you tell me a bit about the blue fire during the spellplague?

Delandel

First Post
What exactly was the blue fire? Does it have any properties other than incinerating anything it touched? Is there any blue fire left during the Sundering?

It's a MacGuffin. It warps and magically alters, but doesn't burn per se.

Like all of the Reams, the state of the blue fire post-Sundering is unknown. The Realms is a big question mark at the moment.

Delandel

First Post
It's a MacGuffin. It warps and magically alters, but doesn't burn per se.

Like all of the Reams, the state of the blue fire post-Sundering is unknown. The Realms is a big question mark at the moment.

From what I understand from the wiki, it contributed somehow to the Plaguelands, alters, and can grant spellscars. It doesn't burn? Hmm.

I was considering using blue flame that crystallized somehow during the Spellplague and is being extracted in the current Sundering timeline, but not sure where I could go with that.

The blue fire was raw, wild magic, unbound from the Weave at the time of Mystra's death. It's effects were unpredictable, but often lethal. Spellscars were uncommon, and not always the result of direct exposure to Spellplague. Some people simply developed them.

[sblock=Minor Sundering Spoiler]
We actually can say with near certainty that all Spellplague has been purged from Faerun. No more Blue Fire. The cleansing happened in one of the Sundering novels, and was the result of one deity figuring out a solution, and then collaborating with another to enact it through the actions of their Chosen.

There would still be Spellplague before this event (in 1486 DR, if I remember correctly). One of Bruce Cordell's post-Spellplague/4E novels had a character awakening after a century trapped in crystallized Spellplague, for lack of a better description.
[/sblock]

Last edited:

Tormyr

Hero
The blue fire was raw, wild magic, unbound from the Weave at the time of Mystra's death. It's effects were unpredictable, but often lethal. Spellscars were uncommon, and not always the result of direct exposure to Spellplague. Some people simply developed them.

*******SUNDERING NOVELS SPOILERS FOLLOW*******

How does one use spoiler blocks on this site?

We actually can say with near certainty that all Spellplague has been purged from Faerun. No more Blue Fire. The cleansing happened in one of the Sundering novels, and was the result of one deity figuring out a solution, and then collaborating with another to enact it through the actions of their Chosen.

There would still be Spellplague before this event (in 1486 DR, if I remember correctly). One of Bruce Cordell's post-Spellplague/4E novels had a character awakening after a century trapped in crystallized Spellplague, for lack of a better description.

[sblock]spoiler[/sblock]

[sblock]

Remove ads