• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Can you use a Partial Action to Ready for later in the round?

FlimFlam

First Post
If you are entitled to a partial action, can you use that partial action to ready for later in the round? The PHB states that Reading an action is a Standard Action. It also states that a can do as much with a Partial Action as you can with a Standard Action, minus a move. So to me this seems to indicate that you CAN use a Partial Action to ready an action for later in the round.

Artoomis

First Post
FlimFlam said:
If you are entitled to a partial action, can you use that partial action to ready for later in the round? The PHB states that Reading an action is a Standard Action. It also states that a can do as much with a Partial Action as you can with a Standard Action, minus a move. So to me this seems to indicate that you CAN use a Partial Action to ready an action for later in the round.

Certainly you can. The only difference is that you cannot also move, like you could with a standard action.

IceBear

Explorer
But, let's say in the surprise round where those that aren't surprised are entitled to one partial action, this will give you two actions.

IceBear

Dr_Rictus

First Post
IceBear said:
But, let's say in the surprise round where those that aren't surprised are entitled to one partial action, this will give you two actions.

Huh? I don't understand what you're trying to say. One of us is confused.

IceBear

Explorer
Well, isn't declaring a ready action an action? According to the first post - "The PHB states that Reading an action is a Standard Action".

So, it seems like declaring a readied action is a partial action (and you only get one partial action for the surprise round) and then when you take the readied action you have now taken two readied actions that round.

Personally, I'd allow it, but it seems wrong by the "letter" of the rules. I'd allow it based on the "spirit" of the rules.

IceBear

Last edited:

AGGEMAM

First Post
Readying an is indeed a standard action, where you declare in response (actually before) which action you will use that (partial) action.

Stalker0

Legend
This is simply another way getting surprise is useful. When I surpise an oppnent, I can attack him, or ready to react to what he'll do.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads