D&D 5E Can you use misty step to arrest a fall?

overgeeked

B/X Known World
For example, on your turn you use movement to jump off of a 50 foot cliff. Then after you have dropped 20 feet you use misty step to misty step to the ground and land without taking any falling damage.

Would you allow this?
Yes to the action, no to the bolded part. You'd still have the same momentum. You'd need to "spend" that somehow. As written above, you'd reduce the falling damage from 50ft worth to 20ft worth. Have the misty step spit you out going up from the ground and you'd still have momentum carrying you up into the air...only to fall back down. Again, you'd reduce the falling damage but not negate it.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
You can use a bonus action any time on your turn, so as long as you use it before you run out of movement, it's unambiguously yes. Any other scenario ranges from probably not RAW to definitely not RAW, but I'd still broadly allow it. Spending spell slots outside of combat, for things unrelated to combat, is good for the game, IMO.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
So, I don't think that Misty Step can be assumed to maintain the teleporting creature's inertia, but even if it does I'd let the caster make a check to reverse the trajectory of their momentum so they're just doing a very impressive jump!

I have let Dimension Door and some other teleportations allow someone to cannonball into an enemy, or portal gun around some obstacle that they didn't have the range to directly teleport past or needed to see in order to teleport there safely, etc.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
The rulings under both 3e and 4e rules was that momentum is conserved when teleporting - specifically that if a stone is thrown or arrow is shot through a portal it comes out still flying through the air and can hit a target. Equally a falling person affected by misty step is still falling after they teleport

the only question is how far they are deemed to have fallen

Remove ads